Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had several bikes in my 62 years. My 1st was an Enduro type road & trail. I think a Honda when I was 17. After that several street bikes. A 750 Kawasaki, 700 Honda Shadow and a Honda 1300 VTX. All nice bikes but...I was bit with the Harley bug in my teens...especially the Sporster. The only thing wrong with the others is they weren't Harleys. The VTX was the best rider I've ever had...
but...it wasn't a "HARLEY". After I sold it I vowed I wouldn't buy another bike til I could afford a Harley. Motor mounted to the frame; shake you to the bone, Harley! Well finally at 60; I got my HARLEY! A 1993 1200 Sportster. Black and fast...well, faster than I'm willing to go at this point in life! After 20 miles my hands are numb but I love it! Anyway...Life is good!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
Congratulations! At 65, I just got my first "big" bike this year, an '08 Suzuki Boulevard C50. Not a Harley, but 805 cc's of V-twin thump, and a deluxe ride. Hoping to make a Great Plains tour on it next summer. Enjoy yours. I'm sure enjoying mine!

·
Registered
19,488 Posts
Congrats!

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Nice machine. I have owned 3 Sportsters, all ironheads. Looking to get a newer model. The 2004 and later have the rubber mounted engine and reportedly have much less vibration.

The 1200 is powerful enough to keep me happy. The Sportsters are kind of tractor like. But that is why I like them.

·
Registered
695 Posts
I've had several bikes in my 62 years. My 1st was an Enduro type road & trail. I think a Honda when I was 17. After that several street bikes. A 750 Kawasaki, 700 Honda Shadow and a Honda 1300 VTX. All nice bikes but...I was bit with the Harley bug in my teens...especially the Sporster. The only thing wrong with the others is they weren't Harleys. The VTX was the best rider I've ever had...
but...it wasn't a "HARLEY". After I sold it I vowed I wouldn't buy another bike til I could afford a Harley. Motor mounted to the frame; shake you to the bone, Harley! Well finally at 60; I got my HARLEY! A 1993 1200 Sportster. Black and fast...well, faster than I'm willing to go at this point in life! After 20 miles my hands are numb but I love it! Anyway...Life is good!
Nice bike but , aren't you supposed to keep the rubber side down ?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
LOL! Yeah. My phone attaches pics upside down sometimes and I don't know how to fix it. I'm a technology dinosaur! From that little known province of Australia called Alabama.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
A few decades ago, I rode a custom hard tail chopper based upon a Harley Sportster. It handled badly due to the long extended forks and lack of suspension but looked very sweet. Eventually, I sold it and bought a Kawasaki LTD 1000 which was truly a better machine.

TR

·
Registered
260 Posts
My dream motorcycle would be a 1968 Honda 300 Dream...in white. Second to that, a brand new Honda 450 CRF. Running in third place.... BMW R 1250 GS Adventure! Now......those are motorcycles! memtb

·
Registered
740 Posts
Nice machine. I have owned 3 Sportsters, all ironheads. Looking to get a newer model. The 2004 and later have the rubber mounted engine and reportedly have much less vibration.

The 1200 is powerful enough to keep me happy. The Sportsters are kind of tractor like. But that is why I like them.
I got 2004 XL1200R a couple of years ago and have owned a couple of ironheads in the past. It's very true that the rubber mounted engine is much smoother. Below 2000 rpm they shake like they used to but over around 2000 rpm it smooths right out. Smooth enough you can actually tell what's behind you in the rearview mirror.

·
Registered
978 Posts
BEAUTIFUL! I had a 1990 1200 Sporty-- man I loved that bike..! But after being gone on a 3- or 4-day trip (at work), it got to where I didn't want to come home and take off on my bike so it just did not get ridden enough. So I sold her. Wife cried... She was a thumper (the bike). Last year the Sportster was 4-speed and chain-driven. Solid mounted. 2 1/2 gal peanut tank was good for a couple of hours but my hands and butt would last about 30 min. at a time. Loved that bike...

Tim

1 - 20 of 24 Posts