Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently purchased a WINCHESTER model CENTENNIAL 66 in 30-30 CAL., with 26" barrel. I bought it as a shooter. The rifle was indeed like new in the box but had never been cleaned. The original lube had all gotten hard and crusty and the finish looked less than desirable. After about 2 hrs. of carefully working it back and forth I finally got the magazine tube removed, however for whatever reason the magazine ring split on the left side, all I had done to it was drive out the pin and work the tube through the ring. The tube came straight out. The ring itself seemed brittle, it is dovetailed and heavier than the turn of the century rifles I have, and their rings are more of a light steel type material. Any suggestions on where I might score a replacement ring for a vintage 66 commemorative rifle? I am guessing there is a parts source out there somewhere.

·
Registered
39 Posts
If I have this right, the part for a rifle (if it doesn't encircle the barrel) is generally called a magazine hanger. This is to distinguish it from the barrel band like the ones on the standard carbine.

The Centennial would have been post 1964, so I hope this is what you need.

Magazine Hanger Winchester 94 POST 64 (C123) Homestead Parts for antique firearms, Winchester, Remington and new guns such as Jimenez, Bryco Jennings

The older hangers (pre 64) have what's known as a twist dovetail. They twist into place rather that being drifted in like one would normally do with a dovetail item.

Cheers

P. S. Here's a list of alternative sites that carry some part for Winchesters

Midwest Gunworks
1101 Mason Circle Drive South
Pevely MO, 63070
Phone: 636-475-7300
Fax: 636-475-7303
Website
Email
Western Gun Part Limited
17324 106 A Avenue
Edmonton AB, T5S1E6
Phone: 780-489-5711
Fax: 780-489-5717
Website
Email
Nu-Line Guns
8150 CR 4055
Rhineland MO, 65069
Phone: 573-676-5500
Website
Email
Wisner's Inc.
P.O. Box 58
Adna WA, 98522
Phone: 360-748-4590
Fax: 360-748-6028
Website
Email

·
Registered
39 Posts
Just to add a bit of info. I have read that some of the commemorative rifles during this period did not use a dove tail attachment at all, but instead had the hanger sweated or silver soldered on. This doesn't sound too secure, but just thought it worth mentioning. Winchester was cutting costs during this period, so anything is possible.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.