Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
LGS has a bolt action tube fed 22 wmr Marlin, I forgot the model. It says on the barrel made in Mayfield Kentucky, serial number started with MM. Is this a Remlin or a real Marlin? Never heard of Marlins from Mayfield. The gun looks old and beat so I'm not sure if it is Remington or not.
Dave in NH

·
Registered
752 Posts
Maybe a re-barrel with an old action? Mayfield, Kentucky is the Remington plant where the rimfires are now produced. What are the first two numbers on the receiver that the serial number begins with? Just guessing here...someone will surely come along with more smarts than me on this one.

·
Premium Member
6,592 Posts
Mayfield equals remington.
Probably a beat up truck gun.

Reactions: M1Riflenut

·
Registered
11,375 Posts
I have an xt 22 mag, if I can do my part it is spot on.:flute:

Reactions: M1Riflenut

·
Registered
430 Posts
I have 2 model 795's...............one made in Ky, the other is from NY. The Ky rifle is superior in accuracy, actually almost as accurate as my $800 Kimber!

·
Super Moderator
2,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys for the info. I swung by there again today and it's definitely an MM serial number and xt-22 model. Their asking $325 but after looking through GunBroker I can see that price is crazy given its rough shape. I could get it for $250 without the scope that's on it but still seems way high for what it is. The metal isn't too bad but the stock is beat up quite a bit. One thing that really caught my eye was the trigger group is way off center when looking at the bottom of the rifle. Don't know if they are made that way or not but it just seemed real odd to me.

·
Registered
5,731 Posts
As others have said, I don't think the Mayfield plant has encountered any of the same challenges as those experienced by Remington with the lever guns in Ilion. In many respects, the basic Model 60's look a lot better than the ones North Haven was turning out the last few years that Marlin was there. I haven't really heard any complaints about Mayfield Marlin semi-autos or bolt action models.

·
Registered
828 Posts
I bought a Mayfield Model 60 a couple years ago. I looked at few first at some different stores and found a couple with loose or canted front sights. Mine is flawless in fit and finish and VERY accurate. I never owned a North Haven model so I can't really compare. It was after I bought mine that I started seeing the laminate stocked models. I think they look pretty good too!

-Keith

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have a XT-17V, and two Remington 597's all made in Mayfield. All of them are well made and accurate. The plant is about 40 miles west of me. I'm kinda proud to have them in West Ky.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts