Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I saved some of my birthday money since i didnt buy anything big and part of my plan while hitchhiking was to look for a nice firearm to signify both my trip and turning 18 finally, i was looking for an older clean marlin, i didnt have alot of money but could stretch it just a bit for the right one.

Well when i was in moscow idaho i ended up a day early before i was supposed to meet my brother for a ride home from hitchhiking the west for the last 3 weeks, i skipped down to lewiston and saw a closed up gunshop on the outskirts of moscow, which was somewhere i wanted to go to school but couldnt afford the tuition, but i loved the town and came back, anyways i saw this store and wanted to check it out but it was closed that evening, so i went down to lewiston, slept on the banks of the snake river and the next day when i caught a ride from outskirts of lewiston i asked to get dropped off there which the guy kindly did, and i walked in, immediately the only lever action on the shelf caught my eye, i made my way over and checked it all out, longstory short i deposited a hundred on it and when i got home the next week sent the rest up and Charles the owner of SureShot was one of the best gun shop owners ive dealt with, he kindly worked with me and we got it sent down, it showed up this evening and i went out to do my background check and now its sitting in jail for 10 days.

well if you are reading this far and havent skipped to the photos, its a very clean 1948 marlin 336A in 30WCF (my favorite caliber), fingers crossed and knock on wood this turns out to be a good one, as i had a lemon in the past, this one looks sharp and hopefuly she shoots as good as she looks, the peep sight and lack of handling wear save some gun rack marks show me it was well taken care of, the ballard style rifling is a huge plus for me too, since im a cast bullet afficiando.

thanks for looking,

Adam

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
Good selection, young fella. Hope you enjoy it. My '48 ADL is kind of a beater (bought it that way), but I still enjoy it.

Best wishes,

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
That kind of looks like an "A" from the photos instead of an "SC".

How long is the barrel?

24 inches = an "A"

Which makes it MUCH sweeter!

B

Reactions: slips73

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

How long is the barrel?

24 inches = an "A"

B

oh really? I just guessed it was an SC it is a 24" barrel, with an E prefix in the serial number.

whats the difference?

also it has B.D on the bottom of the pistol grip, what is that mean?

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

How long is the barrel?

24 inches = an "A"

B
yah so it is an A and a first year production at that, because it is 1948 and that is the first run of them, wow pretty neat.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
That's a nice one! :congrats:

·
Registered
20,502 Posts
Congrats on a great lookin' rifle!:tee:

·
Premium Member
4,983 Posts
Outstanding Marlin you picked up! You have a good eye. i wouldn't have passed that one up either! Be sure and give us a range report once you get it out and shoot it!

·
Registered
9,156 Posts
Congratulations on such a nice rifle! Great luck on going into the store you haven't been in before, it was just meant to happen for you. DP

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
All the legal issues aside.

An "SC" with a Williams peep is as good as it gets. Nice find.

·
Premium Member
3,219 Posts
I can tell from your chosen mode of traveling the west that you and the 30WCF are kindred spirits.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Hey Slips, nice story and nice rifle. Now just imagine taking it out of the gun safe in 30 years
and telling the story to friends or family. Way cool.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I can tell from your chosen mode of traveling the west that you and the 30WCF are kindred spirits.
haha hitchhiking was quite the adventure, met a lot of good people though, i had a thread on another forum going for it, but never really did too much because 3 weeks of material, and 500 photos are hard to sift through and make a trip report. If i make one i will put it here too if there is an outdoors section.

and 30-30 is my favorite cartridge of all, i love the history behind it and it seems the best compromise of all for me in terms of power, accuracy reloadability and rifles it is often chambered in that are quick handling.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Nice find Slips! Wouldn't it be great to go on a hiking adventure with that slung over your shoulder? I don't imagine that would go over too well on the west coast but here in Western Kentucky you might still be able to do that without too many feathers getting ruffled. I'm glad to know that the old guns, the old cartridges and the spirt of adventure isn't lost on your generation. Good luck in your travels and as already stated Be Careful!

·
Registered
11,600 Posts
Congrats, that's a nice looking rifle. Enjoy...

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Nice find Slips! Wouldn't it be great to go on a hiking adventure with that slung over your shoulder? I don't imagine that would go over too well on the west coast but here in Western Kentucky you might still be able to do that without too many feathers getting ruffled. I'm glad to know that the old guns, the old cartridges and the spirt of adventure isn't lost on your generation. Good luck in your travels and as already stated Be Careful!
Thanks and i actually open carry a revolver here on the left coast, and im only 18, actually i did when i was 16 too, there are exemptions written into the laws, as long as i am outside city limits its ok, if there is a target shooting ban, then my hunting license serves as a "reason" that the ca DOJ recognizes for me to possess it.

I also take my .22 rifle camping so if this one works out it will sub in, but im moving to northern arizona in a week and half so i dont have to worry about that legal mumbo jumbo anymore

1 - 20 of 24 Posts