Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day I was doing what I suspect a lot of us do in our spare time and looking at the Marlins on Gunbroker. I was reminded that Marlin used to contour their levers differently, and I really prefer the look of the old style levers. Is there any compelling reason not to re-shape a modern lever to follow the old contours? Or is this a crazy idea?

I snagged the picture off of Gunbroker, so if it infringes on anyone's copyright, I apologize.

James

·
Premium Member
10,952 Posts
Hello James,

Welcome to the Forum.

Re: re-shaping the lever, it can be done, but then it would not match the stock an lower tang contour very well.............I suppose you could opt a modified look, with just a little more curvature to the box part of the lever.

The levers are heat treated from about 1/2" in front of the pivot point forward, but the box area is soft.
You might want to find a disgarded lever and try "Blacksmithing" it.

Tom

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks a lot, Tom. I wasn't planning to tinker with any of my existing levers, but I thought if I ran across one for cheap it might be an interesting project.

James

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
No reason at all not to reshape the lever. The Models 1893, 93, 1936, 36 and early 336 all used that graceful, deep-radius curve behind the pivot. I have an E-prefix 336ADL with that style lever, and others here have somewhat later guns with it, too. I like many others felt that Marlin was using up left-over 36 levers, but lately I've been thinking that Marlin just went ahead and continued that style lever until the tooling wore out. Probably the "new' levers with the shallower radius saved some time in the machining of them.
But then again, who knows? At any rate, reshape away!

Tom, what's your take on this?

·
Registered
436 Posts
That is a neat looking lever. It's your rifle..enough said.

·
Premium Member
14,841 Posts
Check out MULELOOPS in our Industry Partners section.

Dave

1 - 6 of 6 Posts