Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Checked out a new Remlin at the local W Mart.
Barrell had New Haven marking but no JM proof mark.
REP proof on right side.

As I have stated before. I have seen some pure JUNK on display in
some shops, fit, finish, cracked stocks, looked to have been cleaned up by child with dremmel, ect.

+ On the up side this gun looked good. Cycled smooth, very good wood to metal fit,
no visable flaws to metal finish, overall a good looking gun. The only negative I observed was the quality of the
wood used for the stock. Kindly compares to a Wingmaster vs. Express. Just wondering if they will make two varietys of
Marlin like they have Remington.

Yes I am a perfectionist, no tolerance for sloppy workmanship, retired machinest among other things
---if I could get past the NEW MARLIN thing---
I wouldn't mind owning this gun.

Thoughts?
I've been Busy... James C
I

·
Premium Member
10,693 Posts
Good to hear. I haven't looked at any in a couple months, now.

·
Registered
274 Posts
i saqw a 336w at wally world a couple of days ago
from what i could see of it (no one at the counter ::))over all it didnt look bad ,although you could see the birch under that walnut stain.

·
Premium Member
12,567 Posts
Well, the birch is always going to look pretty lousy. If the fit and finish are good and the action is fairly slick, I would think they are moving in the right direction up the learning curve.

Wal-Mart probably isn't the best place to check out how one looks cosmetically because the only carry the birch models (at least my Wal-Mart does). I'd like to see a C made in the Remington plant to see how that gun looks.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Agree. Would like to see some others besides the Wall Mart offering.
Thing is, it will take a while to get the inferior ones (if they do get inproved) out of the system,
as some guns undoubtly sit at the distribitors for years.
Local W Mart is apparently expanding or returning to previous level of gun selection, would think theirs
is more of a direct line.

Busy,
James C

·
Registered
148 Posts
I decided I need to reward myself for making it through school at my age and I have just started looking for a 444. I would love to get a lightly used one at a pawn shop or such but I don't know how likely that is here in the deep south. I have been wanting to see some of the new ones to see how bad they really are but they are nowhere to be found. Was in Bass Pro today and all they had was a 336W and the local place near my work didn't have any Marlin's at all. Did they take them off the shelves after their quality control fiasco? The people online are going nuts with all the "rare" talk and the prices are way out of line. Even Davidson's is out of stock and as I say with everything I have read here I would like to handle this thing myself before I buy. So where is a guy to find a 444 these days?

Thomas

·
Registered
32,306 Posts
Hi Big T,
There is a raffle going on right now on this site for a 444, give it a go. I wish I could enter but time and distance is (was) against me, but you could have a chance.

·
Premium Member
750 Posts
Can't buy that gun used??? Why buy new if you don't have to. Couldn't really tell what model you're refering to, by your post.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Just looking for a standard 22" barreled 444. Would love to find it used at some pawn or small gun shop but I just have the feeling that they weren't bought in large numbers down here. From what I have seen so far the used racks are populated by 30-30's around these parts but I am on the lookout.

Thomas

1 - 11 of 11 Posts