Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I sold all of my reloading gear years ago when other interests started cutting into my reloading and shooting time. Since then I've relied on factory loads for my ammo needs.

But I stopped by the local Sportsman Warehouse today and as I walked down the component aisle I saw a box, just one, of Hornady 265 FP Interlock #4300 on the shelf. I figured they were better off at my house than on that shelf and so I bought them for $37. As I carried them out of the store I remembered just how good a box of bullets feels in your hand. Solid.

I came home, got on MO and read one of the reloading threads, then I read another, then another and pretty soon I was writing down a list things I might need: H4198, Lee Crimp Die, etc., etc.

Jeesh, here we go again.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Don't buy any equipment until you find your brass, powder, primers and bullets.
Good advice. I've got 80 rounds of Hornady Lt Mag to shoot and hoping to find some Superformance when it's back on the shelves later this year. I'm going to try to stick with Hornady brass. It looks like H4198 is the powder of choice so I'll start watching for that.

Which primers?

·
Registered
691 Posts
Myself, I've never found primers to be much of a variable. H4198 doesn't need a magnum primer, although one can be used. It will probably come down to using whatever large rifle primers you can find. I've used CCI, Federal, Winchester and Remington and couldn't see any difference in any of them; they all work well. I have not tried any of the imported primers such as Tula.

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
The Hornady 265 FP bullet and Superperformance are seasonal runs at this point. If things ever slow down, they may be regularly available again. Loading may offer more options in lieu of the FP/SPF, but as has been said, that's plenty to get before you're able to shoot your first handload.

Reactions: Targhee

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Steel yourself to be prepared for sticker shock when buying replacement hand loading equipment.

I started out in 1969 with a mallet and a .38 Special Lee Classic kit. Really got involved with a press, etc., back in the early/mid 1980's. Just can not believe the cost of equipment and components these days.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Steel yourself to be prepared for sticker shock when buying replacement hand loading equipment.

I started out in 1969 with a mallet and a .38 Special Lee Classic kit. Really got involved with a press, etc., back in the early/mid 1980's. Just can not believe the cost of equipment and components these days.
You're right about that. When I sold my gear back in the early '90's I think I got $100 for the whole outfit.

For now I think I'll just find some powder and primers to put on the shelf along with the bullets. If I can get 3-4 boxes of the Superperformance when they make it later this year I should be set for awhile. If not I'm going to have to get more serious about reloading.

·
Registered
390 Posts
It all depends on how many rounds you want to crank out at a time. Can start with an ole “wack a mole” (Lee classic) for as little as ten bucks, if check a few gun shows and flea markets. Once have it organized, can do quite a few rounds in an evening with even that basic setup.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Since you have time before you have to have the equipment, start shopping now. Refuse to pay an outrageous price. You can still find things at a decent price if you look. I noticed last time I looked that a lot of venders at gun shows don't know what the stuff is worth so put a big price on it so as not to get burned. A lot buy this stuff by giving pennies on the dollar and taking all of the equipment some widow is selling. Then they look up new equipment and charge almost the new price. Some will negociate some won't. I let the high dollar ones hang on to theirs. I'll pay fair used prices, but not scalper prices. I still find used stuff to buy. The last show I attended I found a Lyman powder measure for $25 and I didn't bother to negotiate because I had passed on two at $60. If you belong to a club or shoot at a club range check with everyone you come in contact with to see if they might be selling some equipment. Just look at it as another form of hunting.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Since you have time before you have to have the equipment, start shopping now. Refuse to pay an outrageous price. You can still find things at a decent price if you look. I noticed last time I looked that a lot of venders at gun shows don't know what the stuff is worth so put a big price on it so as not to get burned. A lot buy this stuff by giving pennies on the dollar and taking all of the equipment some widow is selling. Then they look up new equipment and charge almost the new price. Some will negociate some won't. I let the high dollar ones hang on to theirs. I'll pay fair used prices, but not scalper prices. I still find used stuff to buy. The last show I attended I found a Lyman powder measure for $25 and I didn't bother to negotiate because I had passed on two at $60. If you belong to a club or shoot at a club range check with everyone you come in contact with to see if they might be selling some equipment. Just look at it as another form of hunting.
We think alike. I enjoy a good hunt and there's always another good deal just around the corner. I stopped by a local shop today and they had two sets of RCBS #20704 dies on the shelf, NIB, $44. I passed for now because I'm thinking I'd like to get Hornady dies, but I might go back.

·
Premium Member
17,107 Posts
Hey Tar,

Be sure to look at yard/garage/estate/divorce, sales. And the local Rifle Club Bulletin Board.

Can find good used press/scale/powder measure/case trimmer.....etc. at these "venues".

Later, Mark

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
Check the used equipment and dies listed on Gunbroker and EBay. Good bargains can be found if you don't want to buy new.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I checked the local on-line sales last night and saw a Lee Loader for 444 Marlin. I met the owner this morning and bought it for $5. It's an old one in a cardboard box. The box and it's contents are in great shape. Used but not abused. The charge table lists IMR 3031/4895/4320/4064 for use with 265 gr bullets with a #230 powder measure. The Parts List in the box shows the price of a replacement Body & Sizing Die as $3.95. That was a few years ago. Even if I never use it it's a great collector piece to keep with the gun.

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
I checked the local on-line sales last night and saw a Lee Loader for 444 Marlin. I met the owner this morning and bought it for $5. It's an old one in a cardboard box. The box and it's contents are in great shape. Used but not abused. The charge table lists IMR 3031/4895/4320/4064 for use with 265 gr bullets with a #230 powder measure. The Parts List in the box shows the price of a replacement Body & Sizing Die as $3.95. That was a few years ago. Even if I never use it it's a great collector piece to keep with the gun.
Good start! :top: It's a little slow but a good way to get back into loading.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well, so far I've been able to round up 80 rounds of Lt. Mag and 40 rounds of Superformance for my future brass. I've got a pound of H4198, a pound of Reloader 7, a box of Hornady 265 FP and I've got a box of BTB 290 grn 432 on order.

So I it was time to order some hardware. I decided on Lee equipment. It seems like good stuff and it's hard to beat the price. Boxes should start arriving in the next few days.

I haven't done any reloading in over 20 years. I'm looking forward to getting back into it. I'll be reading lots of threads here as I relearn everything I've forgotten. Right now I'm just planning to reload for the 444. I'll probably keep buying factory ammo for everything else.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Good to see you get back to reloading. I started with Lee loaders in 45-70 and 357 mag 35 years ago. About 25 years ago I got the Lee Anniversary kit and have never looked back.

Just going to load for the 444? Heck, if you've been saving your brass, you are just a die set and box of bullets away from loading anything else you shoot!

·
Registered
7,917 Posts
I can't think of one good reason NOT to reload.
The cost of the supplies, shipping, and sales tax if I buy locally are good reasons. I can buy Federal Blue Box ammo for about the price of all the supplies, if I can get them. Right now I am stockpiling brass and if/when I ever get a job, I will start stashing away a few bucks to buy in bulk to save money on supplies. I spoke to an old time down at the range last week and he told me he buys large containers of power and any of his other supplies from the same supplier so he doesn't have to keep paying hazmat fees.

Until then, I have to do what I can do.

Cheers!

Mike T.

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
Well, so far I've been able to round up 80 rounds of Lt. Mag and 40 rounds of Superformance for my future brass. I've got a pound of H4198, a pound of Reloader 7, a box of Hornady 265 FP and I've got a box of BTB 290 grn 432 on order.

So I it was time to order some hardware. I decided on Lee equipment. It seems like good stuff and it's hard to beat the price. Boxes should start arriving in the next few days.

I haven't done any reloading in over 20 years. I'm looking forward to getting back into it. I'll be reading lots of threads here as I relearn everything I've forgotten. Right now I'm just planning to reload for the 444. I'll probably keep buying factory ammo for everything else.
Welcome back into the fold! :top:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.