Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9,496 Posts
Seems no one wants to answer. The subject has been done to, well, not death because I suppose it will never die.

I would but I won't advise any one else to do it. Having said that and being the bush mechanic that I am, I would probable give the noses a touch on a grinder to make a small flat.
No, in a light recoiling rifle I'd just use 'em as is.

Awww! you decide.:vollkommenauf:

Mark.

·
Registered
7,734 Posts
Personally, I would use them without a second thought. It is the spitzer bullets that are to be avoided. Rifles with much more recoil than the .357 use round nose bullets, albeit lead, without problems. These include the 30-30, .32, and .35. The raduis of curvature is larger on the .357 and therefore should be "safer".

To de absolutely safe, you could load them one at a time, directly into the chamber. How many do you have to use up?

·
Registered
9,496 Posts
Personally, I would use them without a second thought. It is the spitzer bullets that are to be avoided. Rifles with much more recoil than the .357 use round nose bullets, albeit lead, without problems. These include the 30-30, .32, and .35. The raduis of curvature is larger on the .357 and therefore should be "safer".

Combined with the lesser area of the small primer used in the .357 case, there really is no issue.

Mark.

·
El Kabong
8,333 Posts
Thats why they make the round/flat nose for tube mags.

I would not use them, but then Im picky about ship blowing up in my mug

·
Premium Member
4,923 Posts
I load and shoot 158 gr LRN bullets in my 1894. (Missouri Bullets) I don't run them hot because they are .........lead. Recoil is very light and the round nose is much larger than the small primer. I'm not worried about detonation at all in mine.

Reactions: Oz

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Use them and enjoy them. Reasons why they are safe are given above. Someday when I am rich, I am going to take a tube fed .30-30 and feed it a diet of full metal jacket spitzers and see if I can get it to set off the ammo in the magazine.

·
Premium Member
8,044 Posts
I tend to agree with the smaller primer shoud be fine. I ran across this in another thread concerning the small primers in BB 45-70 ammo the other day. Sounds like they did this to reduce the risk of this kind of mishap. I have about 100 of these cases around for the 45-70 and have not decided to reload them yet with small rifle primers

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.