Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just mounted a pristine old steel Redfield receiver sight on my 1951 336-A waffletop in .35 Remington, and the aperture won't go low enough to co-witness with the factory rear sight. So I am guessing I will need a slightly higher front sight. I will shoot it first, of course, to confirm this. Might give me an excuse to mount a more visible front sight, anyway -- maybe an ivory bead.
Anyone else had to change the front sight when mounting a receiver sight at the rear?

·
Registered
298 Posts
Not uncommon. Sometimes the Williams FP allows you to use your factory front sight. The .35 often does need a higher front sight. I invested in a front sight pusher and a digital calipers so I can remove and install and measure front sights without damaging them. Well worth the money. A nice ivory bead front sight would be perfect for that classic Redfield peep.

·
Premium Member
6,803 Posts
What PHWebster said. +1

T.S.

Reactions: cajun56

·
Banned
1,982 Posts
Some folks will say they have never had to change a front sight when going to a receiver sight. I won't say they're lying, as I haven't put receiver sights on every 336 ever made; however, through the years I have put them on at least a dozen 336's and in EVERY case a higher front sight was required.

·
Registered
29,107 Posts
When I put a Williams peep sight on my 1949 Marlin 336 .32 spl. I had to change the front sight! With the peep sight as far down as possible it was shooting 7 inches high!

ca'jun56

Reactions: Oregon Bill
1 - 6 of 6 Posts