Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I usual load of 44 gr IMR-4198 with the Hornady 350 FN gives me 1800 fps so I tried 46 Gr of the same powder with the same bullet and only got 1835 fps. My question is that "Is my 44 gr load something that I should consider max.?" The 44 gr load shots into 1 - 1 1/2" when the 46 gr load would shot into 1 1/2" - 2" for the test batch. According to the sixth edition of the Hornady manual 45.7 should be considered max out of there test rifle. This is the only powder that I've loaded in my 45/70 guide gun but I may try H 4198 in the future. This load shots very clean and that is something that I like about IMR 4198.

·
Registered
957 Posts
I'd consider 44 grains max for that rifle. When an additional two grains only adds 35 fps and degrades accuracy, there's no point in adding it.

G

·
RX7 is also a good powder. I learned many years ago that a target, be it a deer, paper, cans, etc, all are very poor judges of velocity. Accuracy and safety are the main things.As a general rule, the most accurate loads are roughly 10% LESS than max. My 4570 load is mild to some of yours. The load was given to me at my request from the old hercules pwdr co. It is 43 gr of RX 7 with a LEE cast 405 gr FP made from wheel weights. The velocity is est at around 1700 fps, possibly even lower. This has taken our deer for many years. It will shoot through from one end to the other. Don't beat yourself up unnecessarilly slow it down and enjoy yourself. Speed is nice, accuracy is final. The old BP load has probably taken most of the largest dangerous game in the world, I doubt if the old loads rarely broke 1400-1500 fps. Be safe, enjoy yourself. POWDERMAN.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts