Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You guys are very knowledgable. I have a Martini 22 LR with 26" x 1" round barrel, 1 pc. stock, action hangs in an opening freely, stock has integral hand stop made into forearm like a freestyle rifle, and a Litschert 12x scope. Bore is just beautiful. Has had iron sights at one time. Only markings is a Kangaroo engraved on the top of the receiver. One gentleman said it looked like the work of Al Freeland. WHo is he? Did he make target rifles? moodyholler See below for pictures.

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
When it came to guns, Al Freeland did it all. He sold guns, custom modified guns, sold accessories for guns, and was a great shooter too! Most of what Al did was associated with target shooting, and his shop was in Rock Isand, Illinois, if memory serves me. (and I think I'm OK on this one!)
Al's work dates to the 1950's and '60's for the most part.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Sounds to me that it is an international.They had a one piece stock.BUT with the Australian ROO on top it is probably what you envision,custom made.Nothiong shoots like them when the barrels are in good condition.Happy for you.modoc

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Modoc, it is not a keeper. It can go for about anything Marlin pump or lever. Doc, I was in the local Pawn shop I occasionally work for today and they have a decent Springfield 87A cheap. Or maybe that was Kaintuck who liked them! Anyway, FWIW! MM93, I won a 94 takedown in parts on auction yesterday and it needs a mag tube assembly. I know I will have to make one. Do you have any pics of the end cap and stuff? Thanks a bunch, moodyholler

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Moodyholler,
What caliber 1894 is it? I have some end caps for mag tubes, and may have one. They made two of them. One for .32 and .25, the other for .38 and .44 calibers.
I can always loan it to you as a sample, if your's is different caliber, so you can copy it in an upscaled size.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I'd sure like a picture or two.I have in mind the 38 Marlin with the octagon barrel for a trade if it is anywhere as nice as it sounds.I'd be happy to send you pics but see you HIDE your eMail address.I guess I should also but old habits are hard to break.Plus some kind person might want to send me a million bucks or a martini.modoc

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
mm93 It is a 25-20 made in 1902. It is a takedown. The seller has assured me he has all the parts but a tang screw. However, there are no pictures of the mag tube and end cap or the dovetail stud that it mounts to. SO I am fairly confident I won't get the right stuff. Thanks for the offer, will probably take you up on it. moodyholler

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
That Martini is a great find! They are seldom seen in that condition.

Al Freeland may well be best known for his "Freeland Tube Sight"- listed and pictured in the irons sight section of the Gun Digest for well over two decades....

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks, Doc, I appreciate it. Will check my GD's tonight after I load some 38-55's. moodyholler

1 - 11 of 11 Posts