Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have any of you all ever seen a Martin Warthog? Are they hard to find? How long were they produced? Bo and Luke Duke sure had good luck with em. ;D

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Martin was a couple years behind BEAR in producing compound bows. But when they did, their early compound bows were built like the BEST recurves. Laminated limbs, upgraded wood for risers, and little embellishments at bow tips were the hallmarks of Warthog. Thid bow was used in Dukes of Hazzard TV Show.

This model was dropped in 1991. But the name has been recently resurrected.

Right now, the first compound bow models are cheap. But I predict that the day is coming when these bows will be Collector's items. Prices will skyrocket. Jennings and Browning had early models with 6 compound wheels!

TR

·
Premium Member
3,561 Posts
Hello, couldn't help but "overhear"; I am buying a "Warthog Magnum" this PM from a local guy, arrows n'all for $30!! It's 50-65# , 50% letoff. Can I "finger shoot" this bow, I don't know the brace height, but it "sounds" like the bows I used to shoot 25 years ago? It looks good from the pictures, and guy said it had no cracks,etc. I figure I can't go wrong for that kind of money! ha. It's also in 31" draw length, for my gorilla arms! It needs a new string he said, so I will take it to the proshop and have them go over it, put the ol guy back up to speed. Will follow up later.

·
Premium Member
5,222 Posts
Sounds like a great deal. Just don't see many old bows that are worth anything around here. Not many bow hunters from the 70's and 80's that had anything left when they were through! My old PSE is hardly worth hanging up in the garage!

·
Super Moderator
7,954 Posts
Martin made some very good bows back then, I loved my warthog and couger magnums, What I liked the best was the Jim Cox Dyno bow made for Jim Cox by Martin, I sure killed a lot of animals with that Dyno bow, I think the riser on the Dynobow was from the warthog.

As good as the old bows was, they are not even close to the bows made today! My Mathews DXT is as good as it gets for me, short, light, powerful, smooth drawing and accurate.

·
Premium Member
3,561 Posts
I hear ya, I would love to have a Matthews Z7, but I can finger shoot this one, build my arm back up, and probably kill every elk in the woods with it, ha. I figure for $30, I can take a trip down memory Lane.
I just got it, and it is in 99% condition, I am taking it to the Pro shop tomorrow and get it all checked out,set up for me.

·
Premium Member
3,561 Posts
Ordered a new string at the Pro-shop and checked bow out. It cranked right up to 65#, clocked 232fps with a GoldTip 55/75 full length arrow, and 196fps with the 638gr arrow!

The Matthews Z7 on 73# gave 266 with the 638 gr arrow, and 282 w/the 55/75, thereabouts; the matthews Monster gave similar, slightly lower velocities. Matthews Mission Eliminator on 70 gave 229 w/638gr and 255 w/Gold Tip 55/75 , I liked it alot. Now all I need is a bunch of money! ha.
I'll crank this vintage bow back down to 55-60 and play with it, build my shoulder back up.
good ole boy said:
I,d shore luv to find one of those classic babies. ;)
You know...I could be persuaded to sell you this one! After having the string added, I will have a whole $50 tied up in this thing, and I would "have" to make some kind of profit , plus shipping. Name your poison.... ;)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a Martin Warthog to sell and have been searching all over to find out what it is worth, is $30 really the value placed on these bow's?

·
Registered
805 Posts
I buy and sell older compounds on a regular basis. $30 - $120 will buy most buy most old compounds from about 1995 and older. I fix them up, fit them to the new shooter and usually make about $50 - $100 per bow with a 1 year satisfaction guarantee. I still love the way the old bows shoot. I also allow people to trade in bows at 75% of there original purchase price against another bow as long as the bow is still in good order. I focus mainly on Martins, Hoyt, Brownings and Prolines. They are all extremely durable and very accurate.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts