Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have not been able to find any info that is specific on the Martel model of The National Fire Arms Co. I have read Savage, Stevens, H&A, Marlin or its a hardware weapon. It looks like a model 24 or 18 Marlin with a different forearm. If anyone can point in the right direction on the net for info, It would be a good thing.

Thank, you

Emmett

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Go to http://www.marlin-collectors.com Rick Regnier knows a member who specifically collects Martel items, and that person may have some vintage Martel correspondence. Like some the the other 'house brands', distributors such as Martel went out of biz, leaving little documentation.

Attached are two pics from a fellow MFCA member who was researching a similar fire arm. It appears very like a model 18.

SW

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
Emmett,
I assume you meant a model 18 or "25" as the 24 was a shotgun. The Martel guns made for National Firearms all dated to before WWI, as after the company sold to Rockwell, and later became Marlin Firearms Corp. they didn't make guns for National.
I would guesstimate your gun to be in the 1910-1915 era.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Marlin

The way I understand this info is that the National Firearms Co. produced this rifle, Rockwell purchased patients, then with Marlin produces their version of the Martel rifle.

Emmett

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Search

I searched Marlin Collectors for Martel, The Nationl Fire Arms Co and your friends name Jim and go nonthing.

Emmett

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
I find it sort of strange that National would have produced these guns before Marlin, since most of the associated patents are under LL Hepburn's name, and date to the time when he was a Marlin employee?
These patents start around 1904 for LL Hepburn, and extend up into the pre WWI time frame.
I may be wrong as to Marlin making these for National. They may have simply sold them the rights to produce them.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Neberhogger

Thank for the pictures, now I wonder which model Marlin this is a take off from, the 18, 24 and I think there may be two more similar models. If you can give info on the Collectors that will get me to the Martel info I would like to read it. I will forward all the info on the Martel to others I have run into with questions on the rifle.

Thank, you

Emmett

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
If you feel like registering, PM Rick Regnier. He knows the MFCA member who used to collect Martel arms. You would then need to contact that person. The topic came up a long time ago, and I just do not recall who the Martel collector was. Rick should have his contact information. SW

1 - 8 of 8 Posts