Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all -

First time poster. Hunted a lot as a kid and my go-to gun was a beautiful Model 97 in octagonal which, sadly, I sold off when I was too young and dumb to know better. Back in with a 336W for myself, and my son - he's a first time shooter, in love with this rifle. He shoots left with the 336.

Will be hunting deer in mostly darker woods at less than 100 yards. My eyes aren't what they used to be and rather than opt for a low power scope, I'm going with a Skinner Express rear peep. The material, look, durability of the Skinner make edged out the Williams FP for me, very excited to get it in the mail and mount it.

I've got the manufacturer's hooded front sight on board now. Will wait to see if this works with the Skinner, but my suspicion is I'll either go with a Williams Firesight or Skinner's front sight with paint pen.

I know it's not possible to pre-decide on a size until shooting with the Skinner. My question goes more to people's preference for a front sight type, and why? I've heard both good and bad experiences with the Firesight, with some saying they really help out in low light, while others feel they actually worsen the visual picture and prefer standard sights. At any rate, any thoughts on front sight marriages with the Skinner peep would be much appreciated.

Great to be here, thanks for the site and information, all.

·
Premium Member
9,847 Posts
Welcome from Goldthwaite, TX! Thanks for joining us! I've been wanting to put Skinners on my 336 but haven't done it yet. My son has the Alaskan on his 336SS and it looks like it was made as part of the rifle. He put the Skinner post on the front and it works great. Another member who's visited here to shoot has an 1894C with the Skinner Express rear and Skinner post front. I helped him sight it in and it was a snap really. I really like the way the Skinner's look and Andy seems willing to really help you get it right. Good luck and Happy New Year! John

Reactions: gadjolever

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Welcome to the forum

I have both types of front sights with Skinner rear sights on various Marlins.

The Firesight really does an amazing job in low light and that is pretty much anytime you step into our north woods. For short range work, plenty accurate. On my guns, to help with accuracy, I use the top of the Firesight as the aiming point rather than cover up the whole target with the red bead.

However, when shooting for accuracy, I MUCH prefer a blade front like Skinner sells and you can always use sight paint to help with the visibility. Also prefer the looks of a blade, too. That big old Firesight is, well, less than traditional. :)

·
Registered
804 Posts
On my 336 I have the Williams FP and it works great with the original front sight. I could not put the Williams on my 1894 Remlin because they do not have the side screw holes like the JM made Marlins did. I have a XS Rear Ghost Ring and front sight on the 1894 and they work really good together. (I will post picture of it) The front sight on this combo has a white front ramp and I can also put a scope on it if I need to down the road.
I am in you're predicament on my Henry Big Boy though. I have a Skinner Express sight coming for it and I would actually like to keep the original front sight but I am pretty sure that it wont work with the Skinner Express sight ( just like the 1894 would not work with the original front sight) so I also ordered the .650 Brass front sight and I will surely have to file it down to get POA where I want it for the closer 25 yards at the range and adjust it up for the further ranges that I need.
We will see my sight is suppose to be here on Saturday 1-3-2014

Good Luck to you on you're sight quest.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey all-

Thanks for such a nice welcome and for such helpful information. Great to meet all of you!

Most of my hunting will be some pretty dark northwoods as well, so may have to play with a couple of different solutions myself, I guess. I'd prefer to have a blade front sight with paint, if I could get away with it (I have to admit as lame as this is, I prefer the look of the more traditional front) but ultimately I'm after a humane kill and longevity in my ability to shoot as I get older, so that might determine things I suppose. Either way, so happy to be a Marlin owner once again after so many decades without one, and so happy to be getting my son into one as well. I'm a western kid now living in Wisconsin (with in-laws all over the U.P. of Michigan), so having this piece of tradition feels good, once again!

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey guys -

One more, if anyone has this info much appreciated. I don't have a pair of calipers handy so can't directly measure the sight height. The width is 3/8".

For a new 336 (bought last week), I note from Midway the sight insert is .28" from base to middle of dot. I see from Andy's site that most factory inserts on the 336 are .300", measured from base to top of dot. So I presume that's what I have. Just offhand, can anyone with a newer model confirm this?

Also, I know the ideal way to do this would be to install the rear sight, and take the gun to the range, and then buy an appropriate front sight. I'm almost certain the factory front won't work so pulled the trigger (OK, pun intended) and bought Andy's .500 sight, along with some needed accessories. I know this is antsy, but presume the .500 will give me any needed room, it won't be too short, and any filing can be done on range. I know for this as well, this is only parsing, but if anyone uses the .500 to good effect, that info would be great.

Many thanks again all,

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
I use a Skinner Alaskan rear sight with a Skinner .500 front sight and it works perfectly on my 26" barrel CB. But, I your case, you will just have to see what your rifle does with that tall front sight. I'm sure you have enough height, probably to much. That's what is easy about the Skinner. They are easy to file down. Only at a range and on paper will you know for sure.

·
Vendor
1,941 Posts
Hey Paul, We are here to help if needed. I'm a fan of the blade but have also been using fiber optics. They are certainly more fragile but even if the rod breaks you still have a front sight. Try the all white if you paint the blade. I've been using all white and unless you are hunting Mountain Goats or Polar Bears it shows up very well.

N. Country gal is correct. For best accuracy a blade is sharper and more distinct aiming point.

(Thank you all for sharing the collective wisdom that makes Marlin Owners a fun, helpful, and knowledgeable place!)

Andy

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks so much, Andy. Very much looking forward to the arrival of all the stuff. It's a surprise for my boy, but his grandpa is coming down from the UP on Friday and bringing with him the very 30-30 his father gave him when young, which he will now pass on to my son. Such a rich tradition, these rifles.

Andy, very grateful to you for such obvious quality and kind attention to good relations, and to everyone here for such a nice welcome and helpful info. Happy shooting, all. And my best for a fruitful new year.

·
Registered
717 Posts
My Winchester M94 has a Lyman Tang Sight and i spent a little time choosing the front sight. I like to set top of front sight exactly where i want to hit elevation wise, not a six oclock hold. I chose a XS post type front sight. The very top of a bead sight is hard to see cuz it keeps getting smaller at the top but the XS post is .100 wide,black, and flat topped, much easier for me to index elevation. Too wide to be accurate,nope cuz there's a white .040 vertical stripe superimposed on it which indexes windage the same as a .040 wide front sight. They also have plastic test posts you can install in the ramp and shoot and trim front sight as needed to determine the right front sight for your particular gun......Mike

·
Registered
669 Posts
For general use I am partial to a fine ivory bead with a ghost ring rear. But, a flat post can work out OK, too, depending upon the length of the barrel and how good your eyes are. You just have to do a little trial and error to find out what works for you. Sometimes the flat top of the post can blur to make it uncertain where the top of the post is. I find the fire sight too big for my taste, but obviously some people love them. Again, trial and error. Once you get the Skinner rear the front sights are an easy switch to find what you like.

·
Registered
616 Posts
If the front black blade sight doesn't work out (with or without paint), try one of the thin fron sight blades with the smallest brass bead. You can "roughen" up the face of the bead with a fingernail file so that it stands out well. I find that that the fine brass bead doesn't blend/blur against any background and doesn't obscure too much of the target.

·
Registered
8,124 Posts
Chances are that your rifle will shoot high when you put on the Skinner. I have a 308MX and a 338MX both equipped with Skinner rear sights. They both shot high using the original frt sight blades at 50yrds with the rear peep screwed down to its lowest position. In my case the 308MX was 8 inch high and the 338 was 15 in high. I had to use a .500 frt blade for the 308MX and a .600 frt blade for the 338MX to get point of aim zero at 50yrds with the resr peep at it's lowest position. This worked out good as I have lots of room to raise the point of impact since my zero was done at 50 with the rear all the way down.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Many more options and helpful info, thank you all. I've got the Skinner express and .500" sights coming, along with some pen paint and will see how these workout.

Thanks Cowboy23* on the data point, that's great info.

I like to set top of front sight exactly where i want to hit elevation wise, not a six oclock hold. I chose a XS post type front sight.
Thanks Mike. Sorry for my (new, again, after 40 yearsish away) question - do you mean you set the sight top so that it lines up right on your target, as opposed to alignment with the bottom edge of the target as some do?

The very top of a bead sight is hard to see cuz it keeps getting smaller at the top but the XS post is .100 wide,black, and flat topped, much easier for me to index elevation. Too wide to be accurate,nope cuz there's a white .040 vertical stripe superimposed on it which indexes windage the same as a .040 wide front sight.
I took a look at these sights. They look great. Again, depending on how well my coming FS works out, nice option.

They also have plastic test posts you can install in the ramp and shoot and trim front sight as needed to determine the right front sight for your particular gun......Mike
Do you get these direct from XS, or another supplier, like Brownells?

If the front black blade sight doesn't work out (with or without paint), try one of the thin fron sight blades with the smallest brass bead.
Do you have a particular make/supplier in mind here, Lucky1?

For general use I am partial to a fine ivory bead with a ghost ring rear.
Gladesman, for you as well, do you have a make in mind? I suspect I'll be removing the disc and using the RS as a ghost as well. Eyes aren't as good as they used to be. I hear you - trial and error.

Great ideas on subbing many front sight options and treatments if this setup doesn't work. Many thanks again.

·
Registered
8,124 Posts
PS---I don't like the Williams fiber optic front sight because I have seen where the piece of plastic fiber falls out or breaks from impact. Some of my shooting buddies have the Williams fiber frt sight and have had issues with the fiber coming loose. Too delicate for a hunting gun.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks, Cowboy, good info. I do like the light effect, but have had my share of breaks in these ways too with various other things, so durability is high on my list as well. Looking forward to putting the Skinners on board and getting to the range. New place I've tried has a nice range out to 200 yards, so some play time ahead.

·
Registered
717 Posts
1) yes i use the very top of the front sight and put it right where i want to hit, no six oclock hold. The .100 width makes it easy to see tue very top of the sight.
2) the plastic test posts came with the sight
3)i think i ordered the sight from Brownells....you can get em from XS too......good luck

·
Super Moderator
11,121 Posts
Welcome to the forum

I have both types of front sights with Skinner rear sights on various Marlins.

The Firesight really does an amazing job in low light and that is pretty much anytime you step into our north woods. For short range work, plenty accurate. On my guns, to help with accuracy, I use the top of the Firesight as the aiming point rather than cover up the whole target with the red bead.

However, when shooting for accuracy, I MUCH prefer a blade front like Skinner sells and you can always use sight paint to help with the visibility. Also prefer the looks of a blade, too. That big old Firesight is, well, less than traditional. :)
The Firesight is visible - but ugly. It also breaks rather easy since that red plastic is held by some very thin rings. I've had 2 that broke - once just from leaning in the corner.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1) yes i use the very top of the front sight and put it right where i want to hit, no six oclock hold. The .100 width makes it easy to see tue very top of the sight.
2) the plastic test posts came with the sight
3)i think i ordered the sight from Brownells....you can get em from XS too......good luck
Zoner, sorry for my beginner's naivete, but if the plastic test sight comes with the sight, how did you know which sight to buy in the first place - i.e., did you get close and then trim it, much like filing down the Skinner sight?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts