Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got back from a deer hunting trip. There were nine people in camp. They were shooting a 35 Marlin, 30-30 Marlin, 44 mag Marlin, two 30-06s, 308, 270, 243 and 7mm mag. The hunting was done from box stands over looking feeders and food plots. The average shot was long. I chose stands with shorter shooting lanes and was lucky enough to take a buck. It was a one shot kill and the deer went down right there. I was shooting the 35 Marlin. The 35 Marlin was actually my back up weapon. I took a 308 Browning lever action, but when I got there the back scope ring was broken. First time that I have ever seen it. The guys shooting the 30-30 and 44 Marlins had a hard time. They missed several deer because their bullets were dropping out. Both had sighted their rifles in at 100 yards. I know there is a lot of talk about a 30-30 being a 200 yard gun, but the average hunter does not practice enough to know where the bullet will hit at 200 yards. The 30-30 shooter borrowed his son's 243 and killed a deer at 167 yards. Late in the week, after missing several deer, the 44 shooter had a deer walk under his stand and he killed it. The woman with the 7mm mag killed a deer at 276 yards.

I am saying all this to make a point. If you are going hunting where long shots are the rule, take a long distance gun. A Marlin is a good 150 yard gun, if you have it sighted in at 125 yards. It will kill beyond 150 yards, but the rainbow of the bullet makes it hard to hit at 185 yards.

By the way, my deer was taken at 15 yards. I took a pop up blind. I located two active scrapes and put the blind between the scraps. I had an 80 yard shot to one scrape and a 100 yard shot to the other scrape. But the buck never came out into the shooting lanes. I saw him slipping through the ticket and waited for him to step into an open spot. My buck was a 6 point. Not a tropy, just a good eating deer. If I had been in one of the box stands, I would have had more opportunities, but at longer distances. I limit my 35 Marlin shots to 150 yards.

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Congratulations Taylor! Sounds like you and your group did pretty darn good!

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts
Hey Taylor sounds like a good time was had, but don't forget Marlin has made some bolt rifles over the years, my MR7 in 25-06 is my long range rifle, now if I could just find some deer that are bigger than a doberman.

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
It helps if a person has done some research on their cartridges in the way of its bullet drops ect. It also pays to just go out and do some shooting at different distances. I made some deer targets out of cardboard and shoot at them, it really gives you an idea what kind of a sight picture you need to hit it where you want. Plus it is just a good excuse to go shoot.

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
It's not a Marlin weakness....it's a shooter weakness, or perhaps an ignorance. If you think a 30-30 is tough to shoot with, try a shotgun with slugs. Know your weapon....know your limits!!!

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
You reinforce my belief that the 30-30 and the .35 are 150 yard rounds. Yes, they can kill at a greater distance but for the sake of a humane kill and in the interest of being a good sportsman knowlege of the firearm and prudence with the shot is key. There are brush guns and there are distance guns. They each have their own place in the field, and it is within the discretion of the hunter to go prepared.

By the way, kudos on the buck. Good one for the freezer.

SS

·
Registered
542 Posts
In my opinion, that is where alot of people scorn or ridicule the
30/30 or .35. these guns are 150 yard killers !! if you can
"hit the sweet spot" on a deer out to 150 yards, the deer will
go down. when ya try to stretch it out to 200 yards or more,
accuracy goes down hill quickly, guy/gal that is used to a .243
or an 06, 200 yards is not a really big deal, put the scope on
it and pull the trigger. the .35 and the 30/30 are different animals.
30/30 is my favorite to carry around, because it is about
effortless. compared to a scoped 06, but you have to learn to
accept the range of the 30/30.

·
Registered
136 Posts
tubbythetuba said:
It's not a Marlin weakness....it's a shooter weakness, or perhaps an ignorance. If you think a 30-30 is tough to shoot with, try a shotgun with slugs. Know your weapon....know your limits!!!
AMEN

·
Registered
33 Posts
It isn't a Marlin Weakness, it is the stupidity of some hunters. Here in Indiana, we get the choice of using shotguns, handguns and muzzleloaders. None are very effective at long range. Yet, there are hunters who will try that shotgun at 200 yards. Granted, shotguns have come a long way with the rifled barrels and sabots, but they are still a short range weapon. Handguns get bigger, but they are really a short range weapon. The average muzzleloader is also short range. However, some muzzleloaders can be accurate at much longer ranges than either of the other two weapons. I can remember my high school history teacher telling me several years ago that he shot a deer at 200 yards. Now he probably is a poor judge of distance and was no doubt streching the truth a little (that may be why he is a local politician now), but it wouldn't suprise me that he would take a shot at that range. Some people are just plain nuts!
I have never taken a shot over 50 yards at any deer with a shotgun. A shotgun with a rifled barrel helps, but they are just not that accurate. I don't hunt with a handgun, but if I did, I wouldn't shoot the Model 29 more than 20 yards. Muzzleloaders.....I have a Remington Model 700ML and it shoots ok using two Triple 7 pellets and Powerbelt bullets, but even then I wouldn't pass the 50 yard mark.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Marlins weakness...you must be kidding... you are kidding aren't you?

Shot a Mule deer at 180 yards with my stainless thutty-thutty...my son and brother were wide-eyed at my shot, but not me.

By the way ever consider STALKING....

"The true measure of a hunters skill is not the size of the trophy but rather the length of the shot with the greater measure of skill being the shorter shot---Jeff Cooper "..... 8) 8)

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
Like TTG says.. It's not the arrow,, its the INDIAN :lol: ...Shooting out of box over a feeder...... Well if distance shots I would take a 308 or up probably.. 243 ok also.. ...

Here your not allowed to shoot over a feeder, saltlick or any type of baiting.. So stalking or getting much closer is the norm... Some are long distance shooters.. for sure.. I am not one of them..

I have never lived in an area like you hunt , or done that style.. shooting over a feeder.. I don't think I would enjoy it .. Nothing Personal.. just different styles and different states..

·
Registered
555 Posts
Taylor
Congrats on your deer.But I don't think its a marlin weakness.I have to agree with Tubby on this one.

Tubbythetubs Wrote

Know your weapon....Know your limits!!!

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
Taylor,

Congratulations on getting a buck and congrats for adapting your hunting tactics to the weapon you were using!

This thread is a good one and many have made the point about hunting in an effective manner as determined by the skill of the hunter and the potential effectiveness of the weapon.

I recommend to all the book Shots at Whitetails by Lawrence Koller. It is out of print but I see it regularly in used book stores.

You can tell what defines "hunting" for me just by my signature. The only shot I took at game this fall was at a whitetail in Missouri. Range was perhaps 60 yards from one small ridge to another, offhand, with a Classic Rem. 700 in 35 Whelen wearing an old Weaver K2.5x scope. This was not a trophy by any standard but it was honestly taken with one shot while stillhunting in timber.

We can all benefit by spending more time on refining out hunting skills AND our marksmanship skills. The more proficient we are in those two areas, the less the weapon matters. "Owning a guitar don't make anyone a muscian."

·
Registered
57 Posts
I enjoyed reading your post. However, I agree with my friend Tubby that a hunter ought to be very familiar with the characteristics and capabilities of his weapon. I also like the idea of making deer shaped/sized targets out of cardboard as practice trget. Add to this the use of a rangefinder, and get lots of practce at different ranges and at different angles in the field. A good way to build weapon skill and experience.

MadDog

·
Registered
82 Posts
For the most part I hunt in the thick, dense forests found on the westside of the Cascades. In these woods a long shot is the exception, which suits the limits of the 30/30 just fine. However, if I am hunting in the more open country found on the eastside of the Cascades - where shots at long ranges are more common - I leave the 30/30 at home and use a 30/06 instead. It seems to me that the 30/30 is fine within it's limits. Just don't expect it to do something that it's not designed to do.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts