Marlin Firearms Forum banner

481 - 498 of 498 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Hello all,

I got my first 30-30 Texan from a neighbor yesterday! Paid $300, so I think I did well. He said he had an old Marlin, but I had no idea it was a Texan until he brought it out. Aside from the missing buck horn sight/elevator and the top receiver screws, it's in very good shape. It had a Bushnell Sportview scope on it that I promptly removed. Does anyone know the correct style rear sight for this one? It's a 1972 model.

Also, I know Marlin discontinued the the saddle ring in 72, but I guess some still came with it. My neighbor was the original owner, so I know it wasn't added later.

Attachments

·
Registered
303 Posts
Just curious what an '80s TS model (with safety and 18.5" barrel) would go for these days, in VG to E condition?

P.S. - a better way to ask this question would be... is it worth $600?

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
Just curious what an '80s TS model (with safety and 18.5" barrel) would go for these days, in VG to E condition?

P.S. - a better way to ask this question would be... is it worth $600?
I paid 450 for mine about 3 years ago, prices have been slowly creeping up so 600 in that condition is not out of the question for a rifle that doesn't show up that often. I've only seen one in the wild and I bought it.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Love that saddle ring. Wish someone made one that I could put on my 68 RC model. Most of my levers are a straight stock which I prefer, wish my 336 was but the pistol grip is nice to shoot also. That is a beautiful rifle congratulations.

·
Premium Member
All kinds. Enamored of their mechanisms!
11,300 Posts
No resurrection thread here! This may be the longest thread covering a decade or so! AC

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm going to throw one here in the Texan thread, I already posted over in the 35 Forum.

This a straight grip 1955 ‘pre Texan’ Marlin 336RC in 35 Remington. Shoots great and runs slick.

·
Premium Member
1,764 Posts
Thanks guys. I've wanted a 35 for awhile and another Texan for a long time. To find them both rolled up in a nice package--Ballard rifled at that--was a rare stroke of luck.
You and me both! The days we find a true gem are great (and rare) ones. And posts like yours keep us all motivated to keep searching. Let the enabling continue!

·
Registered
243 Posts

Found this mid sixties 30wcf last year. Shoots Kevin Underwoods ballistic tip 150s like a dream! Would love to find a 35 of the same vintage!

Reactions: 22lrfan

·
Registered
243 Posts
Hahaha no, what you don’t see is my tool box to the right of the work bench full of smithy tools. This was one of many projects on the bench that day.😁

Reactions: gunscrewguy

·
Registered
28 Posts
Great thread. Love the pictures. Old guy here I have had 2 Texans over the course of time. Gave both away to a couple of young guys. Both were sons of close friends. Loved the guns.

481 - 498 of 498 Posts