Marlin Firearms Forum banner

461 - 480 of 498 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Marlin is currently offering a high grade Texan, in .30-30, listing for about $1000. Has anyone seen, handled or have any experience with these? They have a small amount of engraving (probably acid etched) and look good on line, but I wonder how the quality compares with the older Texans.
$1000 is a lot of money for a Remlin.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I have seen and handled one at my LGS, they look good, with very nice wood. Price was $850.00, I have seen them on gunbroker for less. Hick45 just did a review of one, it was very positive, and he has not been a fan of some of the most recent remlins..

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
It is a TDL model (upgraded wood & engraving). I had a guy at the custom shop tell me that they also do some fine tuning & check barrels, chambers & crowns before they leave there. I thought that it was worth a couple hundred more than a standard model. Remlin or not & 30=30, it outshoots many of my bolt guns!
It now wears a Williams peep & fiber optic front sight - OLD eyes you know!

Reactions: Waffletop and ALR

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Texan Deluxe

I went and watched that video on Hickok 45 and just couldnt take it anymore so I went down to my LGS and ordered one. Might be in Friday, if not next Tuesday... Stock picture...

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Texan Deluxe

The new Texan on the wall of Texans (Middle one) gun texan wall1.jpg gun texan tdl2.jpg

Reactions: LoFlow and lever30

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
There was a member on here, I think a Moderator, I think eastern state, that offered to convert a 35 Texan to a Maurader configuration for me, supplying the rifle and doing the work. I cant find the thread. If you are still out there and the offer is still good, let me know.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Here are a few of mine. First pic is of my 336 Texan .30-30 on top with an 1894S in .41 Magnum next down. Below that is my 336-44 with after market checkering. And the bottom one is an 1894CS in .357 Magnum, with a Williams Fool Proof receiver sight....gotta say, I do like those straight grip Marlins.

Note the 1" dia. Weaver K2.5x scope on the top one, and the 7/8" dia. Leupold Alaskans on the next two down. For carrying and shear handiness, I don't think you can do better than those skinny Leupolds. Sadly, they've gone clear outta sight price wise and the 7/8" dia. rings are sky-high too. Just some eye candy for you Marlin lovers....

BTW, I killed a nice buck with the .41 a week+ ago...one shot, and a 30 yard trail up. See my thread over on the 1894 forum for a close up of the deer and internal damage from the shot through the ribs with an XTP.

Best Regards, and be safe out there....Rod

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Now that you have it what do you think of it ?
Have you you fired it yet ?
Not yet, I've had to have a procedure for cancer, then holidays came up, weather,etc. Hope to soon.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Yes, great figure in the stock on that Texan.

·
Registered
885 Posts
You guys posting your 336 Texan family pics has got me thinking I need to do one also. I really like the look of that new Texan, but I'm just not mentally ready to add a Remlin to the current herd. Maybe after several more counseling sessions and I'll be ready to step out and purchase one.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I don't own a new Texan , but a mid 90's 336 JM, and it's a very nice rifle. I also own 2 remlins, an 1894 44 mag and a 357 1894C. Both of those are very good solid rifles and shoot well.. The new Texan in a near by gun shop looks very, very nice, best remlin by far, I mean it's impressive ! I've though about owning it but I like my 336 too, I'd probably sell it and then buy it. Yes, sell a JM to buy a remlin. I know it just seems wrong....

461 - 480 of 498 Posts