25 Posts
Good day,

Acquired a 336 30-30 a while back.

Marked 336, no T
Straight Stock
20" bbl
Saddle Ring
Serial prefix 69

Has sling swivel stud in butt stock, NOT in the white "bullseye", and a sling mount on mag tube.

Am I correct that sling hardware was never original to the rifles?

So... this is NOT a Texan, right?

Were there simply a number of 20" barreled rifles made as a straight stocked variant that were not designated Texans by being marked 336T?

Is it clear how many of these were made?

Regards,

D.
how would y'all value this if I put it in a local shop on consignment?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Great and informative sticky/ Texan thread, RD!

It only took me a couple years and a 1950 336 to find myself on this Marlin forum, Michael - long after joining your team over at Rossi Riflemen - LOL!

I look forward to learning more history of all the 336 iterations from you fine fellows here.

V/R
Adam Lee aka alphalimafoxtrot

Reactions: 94win30wcf

·
Registered
885 Posts
I like the straight stock on the rifle calibers like 30-30, 35 Rem, and so on. There aren't as many of these rifle caliber rifles as their pistol grip stock counterparts. Lots of straight stock rifles in the pistol calibers and fewer pistol grip stocks in the pistol calibers.
I don't know why I bought it, but I bought another 35 Rem Texan, this one was made in '64. So now I have a '52, '58, '64, and the '00-'05 special run that's in stainless. The '52 and '58 I refinished and added laminate stocks to them. The '52 has an unmolested receiver top. The '58 has a factory drilled and tapped receiver top for a scope. The '64 I am going to leave it alone in it's original condition with the blued metal and original walnut stocks as they look to be in great condition. The '52 Marlin looked like someone left it in the hay loft for 50 years when I got it but you'd never know it by looking at it now.

The top pic makes the '52 rifle look so much better than when it was in my hands and I could see and feel the pitting in the metal and the crack(s) in the stocks. The lower pics are after I refinished the metal and replaced the stocks.:
Marlin_1952_336_Texan_35_Rem.jpg

The '58 rifle had the stocks changes out and metal left alone.:
Marlin_336_Texan_35_Rem_1958.jpg

The '64 rifle:
SAM_0679.JPG

The '00-'05 rifle:
Marlin_336SS_35 Rem_LTD_JM_Stainless.jpg

·
Registered
18 Posts
I found this "Texan" in .30-30 at a local pawn shop. I gave $300.00 OTD for it.

It had years of accumulated grime/dried lube on it but no rust to speak of. It cleaned-up just fine after a detail strip. It was missing it's elevator but I had another that fit.

336 RC marked barrel.

Old Guns serial look-up for serial #U22178 says: The year of manufacture for U = 1960 (August)-1961.

Sadly someone took the Marlin "bullseye" out and used the hole for a sling swivel stud but that's something I can fix on down the road.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
I found this "Texan" in .30-30 at a local pawn shop. I gave $300.00 OTD for it.

It had years of accumulated grime/dried lube on it but no rust to speak of. It cleaned-up just fine after a detail strip. It was missing it's elevator but I had another that fit.

336 RC marked barrel.

Old Guns serial look-up for serial #U22178 says: The year of manufacture for U = 1960 (August)-1961.

Sadly someone took the Marlin "bullseye" out and used the hole for a sling swivel stud but that's something I can fix on down the road.

I had a Texan just like that, the bullseye fell out of mine one day while at the range, noticed it when I was cleaning it that night before putting it away, probably came loose during recoil. I found a perfect replacement for it at Numrich, it looked identical to the original bullseye but this was many years ago. I just looked it up on the Numrich website, here it is https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/432130B To be honest, the picture they show doesn't impress me, maybe it's a poor picture? The one I got from them years ago was matching, white the same as the white butt plate spacer with a perfectly round jet black center and perfectly centered in the white, just like the original Marlin piece. They sent me a piece long enough to make at least two, I cut a piece off, roughed up one side and epoxied it in the stock, after it set overnight I put masking tape around the bullseye and carefully sanded it to match the contour of the stock, the last little bit I sanded down with super fine wet or dry sandpaper, when I was done you couldn't tell it had been replaced.

I "may" have the piece that was left over somewhere, there was enough to make another one but I have since moved and it would take a LOT of digging to see if I still have it and I may not. If you get that one from Numrich and it's a poor match PM me and I'll see if I still have that tiny piece somewhere, if I do you can have it but I really rather not dig for it unless I have too...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Some words of advice, don't leave the purchase receipt on the printer after you have printed it out when you do finally find one of these rifles and purchase it. The wife or GF who finds the receipt left on the printer may not think it is as great a deal as you do!
I bought Two since, khough...

BOTH were a MUCH better deal than my GF..........

·
Registered
4,069 Posts

·
Registered
14,011 Posts
I don't presently own a Texan but the last one I had was a 30/30 in honest wear condition and it wasn't D&Ted for scope. I wouldn't know that but was going to lend it for a kid to use and they wanted scope. I've only had 3 Texans that I can remember and not much for scopes on levers I never noticed if D&T. Back then didn't give a rats butt what years gun was made, they were all good ones. I never gave much thought to Marlin year of Manf. until I got on this forum. I always thought it weird that most Marlin 336s I came across had pistol grip stocks. I thought most guys who liked levers would go for traditional saddle stock. When I think about it there are more 39s
with pistol grips too.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Marlin is currently offering a high grade Texan, in .30-30, listing for about $1000. Has anyone seen, handled or have any experience with these? They have a small amount of engraving (probably acid etched) and look good on line, but I wonder how the quality compares with the older Texans.

441 - 460 of 498 Posts