Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received an e-mail about Marlin's new 1894 357 magnum/38 Special. The ones that caught my attention were models 1894CB and 1894C. The C has a 18.5" barrel with a 1:16" twist rate, and the CB has a 20" octagon barrel with a 1:38" twist rate. The rates are listed on their site. Would this be a type-o? I am not familiar with the difference between the barrels. But, I suspect it would not be that much. Twice the twist rate seems a bit much. I did read that the CB has Ballard-style rifling though. I may contact Marlin, but I would to check for thoughts first.

Thanks

Reactions: Owen49

·
Registered
856 Posts
Probably difference in caliber. The .357 mag is the 1:16, while the CB is probably a .44 mag, which would explain the 1:38. I haven’t looked at the new rifles, so this is my guess.

Reactions: rkcohen

·
Registered
856 Posts
We’ll i just peaked at the website, and the CB does list a .357 mag at 1:38. Mystery to me.

Reactions: Blaine

·
Registered
856 Posts
Sure wish they’d clean up that blocky forend to receiver fit. Looks unfinished.

Reactions: M1Riflenut

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. Maybe, it is a type-o. I like the length and style if the CB 357/38 but the finish of the C 357/38. The CB is listed for more. But, I think it is the one that I prefer.

Reactions: bkg1956

·
Super Moderator
26,125 Posts
Like many of us have said before--when I see the new 1894s--then I will believe it. Remlin has broken too many promises for me to outright believe in their media releases.

·
Registered
165 Posts
A Guy on a UK forum picked up his brand new 1894 357 recently , his first impressions were positive with a first shoot and pics to follow on Sunday. Surprised I thought the US market would have had first dibs.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Picked up a brand new 1894CS in .357 Mag, 18.5 blue, Friday.
Marlin, I understand, is shipping.

No idea what the twist rate is.
Aside from the muddy checkering & sharp trigger, it appears good to go.
I think they're back in business on the .357s, finally. :)
Denis
Thanks!

·
Registered
21 Posts
A Guy on a UK forum picked up his brand new 1894 357 recently , his first impressions were positive with a first shoot and pics to follow on Sunday. Surprised I thought the US market would have had first dibs.
I think I probably am that guy from the UK and I have now posted my photos and initial impressions after shooting it this morning. All great and really refreshing after the years of bad press. Only small gripe about the shooting experience was the effort needed to load the tube, after only seventy rounds I'd had enough (wimp is the expression that springs to mind).

·
Registered
165 Posts
I think I probably am that guy from the UK and I have now posted my photos and initial impressions after shooting it this morning. All great and really refreshing after the years of bad press. Only small gripe about the shooting experience was the effort needed to load the tube, after only seventy rounds I'd had enough (wimp is the expression that springs to mind).
Hi , Yes it was your rifle that I'd spotted on the forum back home , pictures looked real nice , glad you had a positive experience after such a long wait.
Welcome to Marlin Owners , best you post your pics or you'll be horse-whipped by these Guys

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi , Yes it was your rifle that I'd spotted on the forum back home , pictures looked real nice , glad you had a positive experience after such a long wait.
Welcome to Marlin Owners , best you post your pics or you'll be horse-whipped by these Guys
So difficult deciding which post to put them in to get the most views, possibly my new member post

·
Registered
856 Posts
Picked up a brand new 1894CS in .357 Mag, 18.5 blue, Friday.
Marlin, I understand, is shipping.

No idea what the twist rate is.
Aside from the muddy checkering & sharp trigger, it appears good to go.
I think they're back in business on the .357s, finally. :)
Denis
Awesome. Give us a preview of your conclusions, please!

·
Registered
856 Posts
So difficult deciding which post to put them in to get the most views, possibly my new member post
Just start a new thread in the 1894 section. We’ll find it!

Reactions: RiflemanGB

·
Registered
101 Posts
This one has decent bluing, not a high polish on a utility gun, but not the black matte I half expected.
Checkering muddy, as noted.
Trigger unduly sharp at the back edges & tip.
Action stiff, but not gritty. It'd wear in with use.

Trigger heavy at about 6.5 pounds, but breaks clean.
NO GAPS BETWEEN WOOD & FRAME!

Inletting around tangs about the best I've seen on a Marlin in years.
Wood to metal fit excellent, machining very well done in joins between assemblies.
Buttpad nicely ground & fit, doesn't sit proud anywhere or show uneven side grinds.

When I deliberately try to square the receiver top against the horizon, it looks like the rear sight is VERY slightly canted to the right.
My gunsmith looked it over & says it's fine.
This is why I have him mount my scopes & set the crosshairs- I have a canted eyeball.

When I just shoulder it & look through the sights, they're fine.

Rear sight is all-black, doesn't have the white diamond notch plate set-up.
Front bead could be bigger, for my eyes.

Preliminarily, the more I handle it, the more I want to keep it. That's the biggest downside to my profession. :)
These are sweet little leverguns, even if John Wayne didn't carry one.
Denis

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.