Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seeing more and more ads on Gunbroker with statement that "THIS IS A RARE MARLIN" - - Ad on GB now for a 1894 .22WMR starting bid is $800.00. And this is on a gun the owner proclaims is 90-95%!!!

Hold on to your Marlins folks - - in a few years you will be able to retire to your dream house on the income from your Rare Marlins!!!!

GB45

·
Premium Member
750 Posts
Hey Golfbuddy, some days they are and some days they're not. Tonite a '94 .44 Cowboy went for $780.00, that's around $ 145.00 cheaper than the last one on GB, better stock too! There may be hope for buyers.

·
Premium Member
12,567 Posts
Rare just means...."I have one and you don't. So if you want to get the one I have, you are going to pay the outrageous price I put on it."

If people would quit doing this, then prices would come down. Just look at how folks have run up the prices of an 1894C. I've seen them going for $650. If people quit paying those prices then the prices would come down.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Halwg said:
Rare just means...."I have one and you don't. So if you want to get the one I have, you are going to pay the outrageous price I put on it."

If people would quit doing this, then prices would come down. Just look at how folks have run up the prices of an 1894C. I've seen them going for $650. If people quit paying those prices then the prices would come down.
+1 :p

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
I think Halwg is right. Sometimes "rare" just means that it hasn't cooked long enough. If the seller has to sit on it and cook it a little longer, the prices might become downright reasonable!

·
Premium Member
750 Posts
I think all of you guys are dreaming (sorry to say)....... I believe there are new converts and even just more people interested in lever guns, period. It really is a supply and demand issue especially with the older, not made anymore (better quality) rifles, and now with the Remington debacle.......... Just look at the forum and you'll see new Marlin admirers all the time. Like I said earlier, the prices seem to fluctuate somewhat, but it seems the trend is going up.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I think AINT NO FISH, is right on the money.

I can't speak to all Marlins but I do have some observations on the 1894C prices. First, the average used price trend (red line in chart) seems to be matching inflation as measured by the Consumer Price Index (green line in chart) and the availability of used 1894Cs seems to be increasing (yellow line in chart). Usually, an increase in supply precedes and precipitates a drop in price but that is not the case with this rifle. In fact, the used price trend at about $530 in February 2011, is about the same as Bud's Gun Shop's last price of $540, delivered.

This is a very popular rifle and there just are not enough new or used available to keep up with demand. Remlin will no doubt figure this out and increase the production numbers and raise the price, once they get settled in on supporting the product.

Here's the data summary for the chart, which is one price behind the data:

Marlin 1894C 18 in Bbl Rifle in .357 Magnum,.38 Special, Plus P. Bluebook of Gun Values (32nd Edition) indicates between $365 in 95% condition and $550 in 100% condition for this gun. I have 93 recorded prices for this model gun from $325 to $705 over a period of 5 Yrs 10 Mos ending February 16, 2011. The average price as of that date was $495. No refurbs, no refinishes, regular sights. All represented as 95% or better. No distinction for import location or engineering revision, if any, no special editions, no distinctions for box, papers, tools. Current or last MSRP is $677.

·
Premium Member
763 Posts
I'm impressed 5wire..nice chart! :eek: I also have seen prices go up a little locally and a few more used Marlins showing up on the racks in my local toy stores.

Ive been running into some nice 336's in .35Rem that are tempting me. I dont have any .35Rems yet ;D

The mom and pop stores must not be watching the prices online because their prices are still very attractive. Still in the $250-$300 price range for some nice Marlins.. I'm weak..very weak..Marlinitis is very powerful ;D

·
Registered
9,157 Posts
All depends on what part of the country you are in also. I've seen maybe 3 1894 c's in the past 5 years on the used rack here. All were priced within $50 of a new one. Supply and demand is what runs it. DP

·
Registered
701 Posts
Blue Book Of Gun Values is what the local shop uses to screw you on a trade...or god help you, selling a gun to them. A 357 or 44, regular or cowboy, is a rare bird around Saint Louie MO.

·
Premium Member
750 Posts
5wire, that is some graph you put together!!!! I live on the west coast and in these suburban areas, you have to go a distance to shoot or hunt. I'll drive 60 miles periodically to shoot in open Nat. Forest area, and 22 miles to shoot at an outdoor range. Trap and skeet, about 16 miles. Lever guns, nobody's really too interested here, black guns and molle vests, YES, big interest. Personally I don't get it, needless to say, there just aren't any leverguns except for the odd new (maybe Marlin 30-30 carbine). My taste runs to the octagonal barrel beauties, and therefore I am forced to pay on GB what the going rate is, pretty much. I know if you limit yourself and not go beyond your preset price, it appears that eventually you might hit on a great deal. I heard of a '94 .44 24" going for $650 recently and saw one go the other day for $780.00. The other end is a CB 24" .357 for $1400.00 WHEW!!! Others for $1000.00. Those prices are getting out of hand indeed.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just paid $580 for a brand new JM stamped 1894c 357. Been looking for one local for a long time and finally found one.

·
Premium Member
1,542 Posts
Seeing a good amount of Marlin 30-30s and 35 Rems going thru local shop. 30-30s about $280-$325. 35s have been b/n $319-$350 or so. Some have scopes, some don't - but all have been cheap and prices have no differentiation. My 35 was $350 and 30-30 was $280.

94s just over $500 - so still close to new. 39s seem over $400 and maybe $500 - seen very few. 444s have been just about that! - $444 (Just funny to me!). Seems to be at least one on the rack each time I have been there...

Haven't seen many/any(?) 45-70s. Maybe one, but can't remember...

·
Registered
171 Posts
I live in Indiana, and since Indiana legalized the use of rifles that shoot pistol cartridges for deer hunting, the Marlin 1894, and the Handi Rifles have become hot sellers in my county. The local gun shop owner doesn't have a problem keeping new 1894's in stock, sure there will be times he is out of stock, but give him a couple of weeks and he will have some more. He has a bigger problem I think of keeping 39A's in stock. I purchased one a couple of years ago and every time I go in there I look to see if he has any on his shelf and I don't see any. So in my opinion the 1894 is not as rare as people say, what will be becoming rare is the true Marlins with the JM rollmark. There are some 1894's that are rare, as in a distributer excusive, which I do have one of these guns in layaway. It is a 1894 .410 shotgun in SS with fire sights. This is a brand new gun and I have never found anything on the internet about this gun. My gun dealer told me it is a distributer exclusive and only 300 of them were ordered by the distributer. He also added the distributer told him that they only received 40 of them before the move and they don't know if they will get the rest of them. When I get possession of this beauty I will definitly post pics. Dan

PS This shotgun has the JM rollmark and was made prior to the move to NY.

·
Premium Member
4,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I almost bought a brand new Marlin 1894 MODEL 410 lever shotgun. Saw one at big gun store in Lakeland FL when I was visiting my folks a couple years ago. I was set on the 1894CSS .357 mag rifle so did not buy it but now I wish I did just to have it as part of my all stainless steel collection.

GB45

·
Premium Member
4,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
All Walmarts in our area no longer sell guns but do sell ammo. However, if they order anything now it will not be a MARLIN - - - - it will be a REMLIN . . . . .

GB45

·
Registered
39 Posts
Golfbuddy45 said:
All Walmarts in our area no longer sell guns but do sell ammo. However, if they order anything now it will not be a MARLIN - - - - it will be a REMLIN . . . . .

GB45

3 of 4 Wal-Marts in our area sell guns - in fact, one of those just started carrying firearms in the last couple of weeks after having been open and only selling ammo for about 2 years...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts