Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a Marlin 1894 in 357 for years, stuck a Williams peep on it, and shot the heck out of it, never once considered a scope. After the barrel was mysteriously ringed (Couldn't have been ME :roll:), I unloaded it. Ten years go by, my Marlinitis comes out of remission, and in a year I have a 44 Mag, a 35 Remington, and a 357. I put a peep on the 44, but can't get it to shoot as well as I expected. I finally concede that my eyesite is the problem, and scope the 44, "Just until I get the load testing done". Several months later I'm still testing, and a scope has grown onto my 336, first a 3X9 mounted over the receiver, now an XS mount with a pistol scope up front. The 357 may be next, if that "load development" thing comes up again.

I've always felt it was sacreligious to scope a levergun, it ruins the wonderful carryability of the gun. Now I have a Scout mount on the 336, and another for the 44 Mag. The 357 will remain naked, as it is a dedicated plinker. I hate making these concessions to aging eyes, but hate missing my target even more. Anybody else feel this way?

BTW, does anybody sell a "Low-priced" Intermediate Eye Relief Scope? Everything I've seen is $200.00 or more. I have tried the Shotgun Scopes, but the eye relief isn't right for a Scout mount. Help!

PJ the Google-eyed

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts
I am fighting to stay scopeless myself. I do have a scout mount and ghost ring on my 450gg, use a Burris 2x pistol scope with quickrelease when I use one. I am still able to use open sights, peep sights, so far; but the writing is on the wall, if I stand far enough away I can still read it without glasses. May look into laser surgery when it gets bad enough just to see if it can be fixed.

·
Premium Member
5,222 Posts
I sure find different sights fit different purposes. Nearly all my guns have a scope except my 357. That gun is agravating from the word go. I have been shooting a bunch on Beartooth bullets postal match. The one gun I cannot get to group well is that 357. I don't know if it is me or the gun. I use XO sights, and find that consistancy is tough to get. This is the only gun I have that shoots a pistol cartridge. I suppose that I should try a scope out just to see the inherent accuracy, and then go from there. I also have ordered Williams fire sights, because I shoot my new Savage ML with them very effectively. I guess what I am saying, is that I am not embarrased to use a scope. It makes me a better hunter and shot.

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
scope on marlins

Just like you said I never had scopes on lever actions, I'm 54 now and all my lever actions have scopes on them but my cl in 32-20. Started wearing glasses at 50. Times do change. :roll:

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
54 here also, and failing eyesight, but I'm still fighting it! Refuse to scope my levers, but willingly scope everything else! Go figure. Just can't bring myself to do it. I have found that peep sights are easier to obtain a decent sight picture, so I've gone that route on many.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Looking to scope my 336CS and could use a bit of advice. I have a 3-9X40 scope that I will use. Would like to go the 2 piece Leupold bases with the Lup rings. What height should I order? Rear and front sights will be removed. Thanks

·
Registered
162 Posts
Cablea's has a Nikon fixed 4 power scope, 32mm, that has a 5 inch eye relief for $99.99. They advertise it as a 22 scope because the parallex is 75 yards, which is about right for a 357 rifle. It has a 1 inch tube and a lifetime warrantee.

·
Registered
131 Posts
papajohn,

I went with a scout mount on my 450m. I started saving up for a Leopold scout scope but bought a cheap $30 or $40 New Century (scout/pistol) 2x-7x scope to be able to shoot it until then. Eye relief is 9 inches and up from there. I have put a couple hundred full load 450 rounds through it and so far it hasnt lost it's zero. The plus is that I dont have to settle for 2x magnification. 2x is ideal most of the time but if I want to I can crank the scope up a couple of notches.

Now I am trying to set up a 22 with a scout mount so that practicing with a scout system doesnt destroy my shoulder or cost me everything I own.

pb

·
Registered
482 Posts
On my .35 REmington I have that Nikon fixed 4X .22 scope. Low enough power to see up close even in thick brush. The short parallax which on mine is 50yds doesn't really effect low power scopes enough to notice in the field and for most folks at the bench either. It sits such that the balance point and handleing characteristics remail very close to what they are without the scope. The only down side is hand carry and with my big mits it isn't a problem for me to hook my thumb over the scope. I also believe that a scope it the quickest sight to use, provided you aren't overpowered. I have not used a Red dot or holo sight but imgine they would work out the same speed wise. My 336A has been drilled for a peep and I plann to put one on it soon. That should extend my sight radius from 18 1/2 to about 26".

Sorry didn't mean to ramble. Just an opinion but for hunting I use a scope especially when there are antler length for deer and shoulder height for hog requirements. For fun I prefer standard or peep sights.

B.

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
I have 3 of my lever guns scoped. My 1895G, and my 336D They have a Leupold 1x4 on them. The 1x4 Leupold is a great scope for the lever gun. It is small, kight weight and compact. It doesnt screw up the balance of the rifle. My 444 is one of the 1970 100th aniv modles with the montecarlo stocks. The stock is made for shooting with a scope I have tried a Williams sight on it and I just cant get my cheek down far enough to shoot it. I put a Tasco 1.5x5 ESP on it. The Tasco is a lot heaver than the Leupold. The nice thing about the scope is that it buys you more shooting time in low light when you really need it.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I put a red dot scope on my muzzle loader. At the time, it was not legal to have any type sight that magnified on a muzzleloader. The red dot scope was 1X and legal. The problem that I ran into was the size of the dot and forgetting to turn off the scope, which ran down the battery. As the deer got father away, the dot would cover up more of the deer and it became difficult to tell where the bullet was going to hit.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Keep an eye out for an old Weaver steel tube 2.5X. They have about 6 inches of eye relief. Might be close enough. They can be rebuilt to like new condition for about $57.00. New orings, lenses, etc. Try a search for Weaver Scope Repair Service, El Paso, Texas Their turnaround is slow but I have been pleased with each of the 5 scopes they have rebuilt for me.

·
Registered
736 Posts
papajohn,

I have an inexpensive scope that would work for you. The brand is NC Star. It's a 2x20 pistol scope but the view still looks good 9 inches from my eye. It comes with a pair of rings too. I mounted it once on my Ruger #1 but the eye relief was just a bit too long for that application. I do not know how well made it is because I haven't used it. If you want it I'll sell it to you for $35 including freight. That's what I paid at the gun show and it's still new. Let me know if you want it.

Live well

1 - 13 of 13 Posts