Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just found out I drew a bull moose tag here in BC for the month of November 1-30th , yay! So this is a pretty good tag and I am lucky because I've only been putting in for a few years and I got the tag, many guys have been putting in for a southern BC moose tag for 10 years or more and got nothing.

Anyway down to business. Because of how rare the tag is and how bad I want to eat some moose meat my primary rifle for this hunt will be my Tikka 30-06 probably slinging 200 great Sierra Game kings or nosler partitions at 2730 fps. But there is no reason I can think of to not bring one of my Marlins along to play back up on the moose hunt. And not just for show, there could be a good chance I could get some hunts in some steep thick timbered areas where shots could be quick and tight, perfect for a good Marlin lever action!

So of my three Marlins which one would you pick to come play back up:

1. My Remlin 30-30 with Bushnell 1.5-4.5 scope sighted in for Rem/Fed 170 gr factory loads

2. My JM Marlin 36A 32 Special with Lyman rear peep and skinner front sight shoots the Hornady 165 gr LVR factory loads extremely well.

3. JM 1894 44 MAG with Williams peep currently sighted for federal 240 gr JSP.

I'm currently leaning towards the 2. My M36a 32 Special since it shoots and handles really well. But what say you? What would you pick?

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
I'd likely hunt with the 30-30 because my eyesight does best with a scope. Remington core-lokt is always a good choice. It's a well designed bullet that has been advertised as "the deadliest mushroom in the woods." 30-30 has been slaying big game for many decades. I felled this animal shooting 170 grain Power Points which is another great bullet.

TR

·
Banned
2,803 Posts
So I just found out I drew a bull moose tag here in BC for the month of November 1-30th , yay! So this is a pretty good tag and I am lucky because I've only been putting in for a few years and I got the tag, many guys have been putting in for a southern BC moose tag for 10 years or more and got nothing.

Anyway down to business. Because of how rare the tag is and how bad I want to eat some moose meat my primary rifle for this hunt will be my Tikka 30-06 probably slinging 200 great Sierra Game kings or nosler partitions at 2730 fps. But there is no reason I can think of to not bring one of my Marlins along to play back up on the moose hunt. And not just for show, there could be a good chance I could get some hunts in some steep thick timbered areas where shots could be quick and tight, perfect for a good Marlin lever action!

1. My Remlin 30-30 with Bushnell 1.5-4.5 scope sighted in for Rem/Fed 170 gr factory loads

2. My JM Marlin 36A 32 Special with Lyman rear peep and skinner front sight shoots the Hornady 165 gr LVR factory loads extremely well.

I'm currently leaning towards the 2. My M36a 32 Special since it shoots and handles really well. But what say you? What would you pick?
Similar situation in Maine.
Permits are few & a long time between.
Congrats on your good luck & hope that tag winds up on a trophy bull.

·
Banned
2,803 Posts
I'd likely hunt with the 30-30 because my eyesight does best with a scope. Remington core-lokt is always a good choice. It's a well designed bullet that has been advertised as "the deadliest mushroom in the woods." 30-30 has been slaying big game for many decades. I felled this animal shooting 170 grain Power Points which is another great bullet.

TR

The Core-Lokts & Power Points are indeed both excellent, totally effective and cheap and have filled many freezers over the years.
The advantages of expensive "Premium" bullets might very well be more psychological than real and the advertising claims are more socially engineered toward filling cash registers than freezers.

·
Registered
10,228 Posts
All three would work if you keep the shots within reason. I also would favor the scoped 30 30 with Nosler 170 gr. Partition bullets up front. If you are looking to add another Marlin to the stable a 444 would be perfect.

·
Super Moderator
26,125 Posts
I would buy a 35 Rem/444 Marlin/45-70 for moose. With what you have--I would stick with the 30-30. I think the 32 Win SPL is better but I am definitely not a FTX fan due to my experience in close range hunting.

·
Registered
5,976 Posts
The Buffalo Bore 190 grain 30-30 is superior to the 32 Special. They claim 2000+ fps out of a 20 inch barrel. As you are talking about a back up to the 30-06, that is what I would use. Put a good scope ont he Tikka and it can be used up close or more far out. Moose are a big animal. You do not need a lot of magnification to shoot one. If you would rather hunt with a lever action then go for one of your levers. But a low powered scope on a bolt action is just as fast as a low powered scope on a lever. I like my 1.5X5 (maybe 1.75X5) Vortex Diamond for up close and personal as well as it gives plenty for a longer shot. The monolithic ammo like Hornady and Barnes makes would also be a good choice for bullets in the 06 as they do not fragment as bad as lead.

As the posting is now 3 years old, what worked?

DEP

·
Registered
526 Posts
There's a special place in my heart for the .32 Win. Special. My late dad made annual deer hunting trips to New Brunswick, Canada, in the 1950's, and always brought home venison. His weapon - model 94 Winchester with open sights, in .32 Special. On the wall above my head right now is a 13-pointer he shot in 1957. Mom never forgave him for leaving her home that year with a newborn (me)!

·
Super Moderator
26,125 Posts
The Buffalo Bore 190 grain 30-30 is superior to the 32 Special. They claim 2000+ fps out of a 20 inch barrel. As you are talking about a back up to the 30-06, that is what I would use. Put a good scope ont he Tikka and it can be used up close or more far out. Moose are a big animal. You do not need a lot of magnification to shoot one. If you would rather hunt with a lever action then go for one of your levers. But a low powered scope on a bolt action is just as fast as a low powered scope on a lever. I like my 1.5X5 (maybe 1.75X5) Vortex Diamond for up close and personal as well as it gives plenty for a longer shot. The monolithic ammo like Hornady and Barnes makes would also be a good choice for bullets in the 06 as they do not fragment as bad as lead.

As the posting is now 3 years old, what worked?

DEP
The original post is from today.

·
Registered
8,006 Posts
Gun choices for backup is a "drop back 10 and Punt". It would be your preference. However, two key issues, no matter which rifle you use.

Shot placement

Size of the animal.

A Hunter friend of mine killed an 800 lb Elk in Colorado two years ago with a 270 Winchester Boat Tail. (I don't remember what Mfg). He said it was about 60 yards away and was DRT. The man is a great shot, goes hunting with friends out West every year and ALWAYS brings back meat for the freezer. So the caliber is less important than shot placement. size of the animal, and of course distance.

Enjoy! I hope you bag one.

Mike T.

·
Banned
2,803 Posts
Shot several moose in my lifetime and they're not that hard to kill.
You couldn't count the number of deer, elk, moose killed each year with core-lokt & power point bullets and lever action rifles.
You have to remember we're talking about a 30-30 Win.
At 30-30 velocities the core-lokts, PPs are as good as a nosler partition.
The moose is the size of a bill board & if you can't hit a vital spot on a moose I suggest it's not the problem of the rifle or cartridge.
A 505 Gibbs won't drop a moose if the bullet hits the stump beside the moose because of bad shooting or failure to check your equipment (rifle, sights, scope) before the hunt to see if it is in working order and sighted in.
We took a friend of dads hunting years ago who had a brand new Savage 99 in 303 Savage with a Weaver K3 scope on top that he was immensely proud of.
The 303 Savage is only marginally superior to the 30-30 Win so this is essentially another Marlin & moose story.
We were quietly walking up an old dirt road near Elk Lake in Ontario Canada when he spotted a moose standing broadside in a clear timber cut about 60 yards and to our shocking amazement missed it clean.
He apparently had presumed his combination gun/scope bought off the rack was sighted in.
WRONG.
Dad later checked his gun after in a gravel pit and it was over a foot high at 100 yards and the windage was way off too and you could turn the scope in the rings.
The story had a happy end because after we sighted in the rifle for him he shot a nice bull the next morning near a place called Gogama.
The moral of the story is that the condition of the equipment and skill of the shooter is far more important to the success of the hunt than whether the ammo is premium or off the shelf core-lokts or PPs.

·
Banned
2,803 Posts

#1 is a perfect short range moose gun/scope combo with 170 grain core-lokts & every ma & pops corner convenience store in Bugtustle USA or Canada has them in stock where your 32 WSPs & 44 mags might be harder to find.

·
Banned
2,803 Posts
I KNOW the 30-30 & core-lokts will do the job because I’ve killed moose with a win 94 30-30, core-lokts & open sights.
We didn’t notch our guns whenever we killed a moose because most of the older ones would be down to bare metal after all these years of hunting.
We knew our guns and the range limitations were usually dictated by the hunting environment not the gun or caliber and we’re talking mostly 1 shot kills.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I too would go with No. 2, but I'd forgo the flexitip slugs and develop a load with the 170 gr. Speer, which seems like the toughest bullet I've used in the Special. Out of an "A", with a 24" barrel you should be able to shade 2300 fps, and the Speer should penetrate well. Forget the raking shots, look for shots that are close to broadside, or neck shots to hit the spine. It's amazing what "old" or "obsolete" rounds are capable of. Best of luck!

1 - 20 of 80 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.