Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Some of you may have read my earlier post on my Project Gun.

http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/336/76982-project-gun-help.html

I found this old 336RC in a shop and bought it for $75. No lever or loading spring, some beat up screws and a freckling of rust on it.

The refugee from the shop became this.

A synthetic short (youth) stocked truck gun

OR -- A "Pistol Grip Marauder"

I put the ruler and 336SC in the pics so you can get a feel for the size.

Now what happened since my first post.

The original stock turned out to be bad because the previous owner had "refinished" it and done some major sanding so there was almost 1/8" clearance between the wood and metal.

I was able to get another repaired stock and lever from a MO member. The lever worked fine and I refinished the replacement stock.

I first used Strypeeze on the stock and it removed the finish, some of the wood filler on the repair (I was going to remove some anyway to refill the holes) and destroyed the bullseye. DON'T use Strypeeze.
I finished with Citristrip and it worked fine.

I stained the stock with Minwax Red Chestnut stain (one coat) and, because the filler I used was lighter than the walnut, I used Minwax Red Oak on the filler as it was darker.

I finished the stock with 7 coats of Tru-Oil.

I finally got the nerve to take a hacksaw to the barrel and mag tube. I found a 3/8" dovetail cutting jig at Dixie Gun Works and I used the side of the jig to keep the cut on the barrel straight. This jig will replace and work better than the Wheeler jig that is no longer available. I measured the barrel length (16.5") and cut the barrel.

Dixie Gun Works muzzleloading, blackpowder and rare antique gun supplies.

Maore to come in another post.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
MarlinOwners Made Me Do It - Part 2

Continued here because of post size.

Here is a link to Part 1: http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/336/81090-marlinowners-made-me-do.html

I then used a file to smooth the end of the barrel. I followed that with 600 grit paper backed by a file foe a final finish. I crowned the muzzle with a brass bolt and grinding compound and finished the job with Skinner Blue.

I had to make the front barrel band a little larger to fit the new barrel size at the cut off. I spread the band using two pieces of door jam shims.

Next I cut the mag tube using the jig. I cut the tube at the receiver end so I could keep the holes drilled for the mag tube plug.

I cut new grooves for the front and rear band screws using the jig to keep the grooves straight.

I plugged the old groove in the mag tube for the front band screw with JB weld and finished it off.

I installed a Skinner Express rear sight and a Marlin front sight ramp with a Skinner front blade.

That gave me this.

MarlinOwners gave me the information I needed, the support and encouragement to give me the confidence to attempt this project. I simply could not have done it without your support.

Thanks,

Mark

·
Premium Member
13,210 Posts
You did a good job Mark it looks great!!!

·
Registered
728 Posts
Nice work! I'm not sure I'd want mine that short, but you wanted it that way and the work was great!

·
Registered
797 Posts
Good Job!

You've turned that beater into a nice rifle.

·
Vendor
1,941 Posts
Lovin it! Thanks for sharing the photos! I love short rifles.... :)

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Now I might have to look for a full size 336RC! Stupid Marlinitis!

Mark

·
Registered
32,306 Posts
That's sure is nice. You must be happy with that work. Thanks for the pics and the details.

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
I'm on the Thank You Train as well, Though I don't know if All of US here can collectively carry the weight of being responsible for your illness...:biggrin:

·
Premium Member
1,503 Posts
You did some nice work on that Marlin, and great pics through the project. That will always be a special rifle to you now.

Well done

1 - 20 of 45 Posts