Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
marlinman93,

I have always enjoyed reading your posts and since you are very knowledgeable on Marlin's, I would appreciate your assistance in determining the value of an 1892 Marlin in .32 caliber that I am thinking of purchasing.

I have had an interest in one of these rifles since I have had an opportunity to see one that a distant shooting friend of mine recently aquired. There has been an active post(s) on the ammunition for this rifle on the Beartooth forum which has been educational.

http://www.shootersforum.com/showthread.htm?t=16062

http://www.shootersforum.com/showthread.htm?t=15064

I rec'd an email from a gentleman who has one for sale. It appears that from the picture he emailed me that there is little to no original finish left and it has some rust on some of the surfaces.

My main concern is that the rifle functions ok and it is capable of accurate shooting.

The sights are the standard open issue.

He said that the action functions fine except there is something amiss that allows the lever to drop away from the frame an inch or so unless it is held in place. That could probably be fixed without too much trouble.

He indicted that the barrel looked ok. Assuming that is the case (I will have a chance to examine the rifle in two weeks) could you give me an idea of its value?

I could email the jpeg to you if you would like to see it.

THANK YOU very much for your assistance.

Sincerely,
John

akaw30wcf

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Hi John,
The lever problem is pretty easy, although it might be a bit tough to find the part, depending on what's wrong. There's a little levr spring located in front of the lever, and if the screw is loose, or gone, the lever droops. If the spring is still inside, it's just a new screw. If someone broke the spring, or lost it, then it's a new spring, screw, and that's all. The spring can be used from a later model, or built from piano wire, and attached, but a small plate would need to be tapped to retain a piano witre spring. I've built them for guys, and it's not too tough. You might locate a spring from a later gun, as it doesn't matter if it's .32 or .22 rifle. I think the later model 39a spring might even work, just can't remember for sure.
Values for decent guns in satndard configuration, in about 50% condition run around $400-$500, and I know of a friend who has a rare 28" barreled 1891 .32 Marlin, for $650, that's a pretty nice gun. I used to own that one, and he paid a bit more for it from me. (only 250 or so made with 28" barrels) I'd guess one in the condition you describe, with a shootable bore, should go under $400 in my neck of the woods. Around $300-$375 most likely. If I saw a picture I could assess it's value closer.
Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
marlinman93,

THANK YOU very much for the information. I would be happy to forward the pictures via email that I rec'd. via email if you could email me at [email protected]. I did copy the jpegs to "my pictures" but I am not sure how to post them.

Thank you,
John

aka w30wcf

·
Premium Member
1,521 Posts
6pt-sika said:
I told you when you shot it , that they were addictive :D Goodluck :!:
Boy, you got that right. Can a brother get an AMEN?

G

·
30wcf, I installed a new extracter and a new ejector in my 1892 last night . Makes it a whole lot easier to shoot then when you tried it :!: Now all I need to do is trim down some Long Colt cases so they will cycle through the action and not have to single feed :!: How are you coming in your quest to find an 1892 :?: Wishing you the best for the holidays :!:

·
Premium Member
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
6pt-sika,
Glad to hear that you were able to retore your .32 to original shooting configuration. I have a line on a .32 and if all goes well, I hope to have it within the next two weeks.

I have found some early original U.M.C. .32 L.C.F. and Rem-Umc .32 L.C.F. ammunition. These have the .91" long case and the 83gr. hollow based bullet.

A fellow over on the Beartooth forum had designed a bullet with a longer heel and shorter driving band to use with the longer .91" cases. Unfortunately, to date, he hasn't obtained good accuracy with it yet. I suspect the problem is that the heel diameter is smaller than the bore diameter. I did some experimenting and rather than go into detail here, go to http://www.shootersforum.com/showthread.htm?t=16062 to view the discussion.

Happy Holidays to you as well!
w30wcf

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
One of the problems with all cast bullets presently made, is the lack of the hollow base, which was standard on the early factory ammo. If you pull the bullet on most old centerfire or rimfire .32 ammo, oyu'll find they all were hollow base.
The weight forward, and ability to expand in the bore were both great attributes to increased accuracy. I've gotten good accuracy with my plain base bullets, but I pulled bullets from some old .32 Long Colt ammo, and reloaded them with my standard load, and the accuracy was the best I've gotten to date.
I'm going to contact one of the custom mold makers, like NEI, and see if they can make me a mold for a heeled bullet, with a hollow base.

·
Premium Member
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
marlinman93,

That would be an interesting endeavor. One suggestion, or rather two if I may ..... an improvement over the original factory hollow based bullet would to have the mold made with a single driving band forward the case mouth (.91" case length) that would be of at least groove diameter. The factory loads (at least the onesI have) are bore size only forward of the case mouth.

My preference would be to follow the path started by Gatafeo http://www.shootersforum.com/showthread.htm?t=16062 except to make the bullet driving band and heel diameters to fit the barrel. I had good results doing this with a bullet described in the above thread.

Although a hollow based bullet would be historically correct, it is more difficult to get a good base as compared to a solid based bullet ..... at least in my limited experience with a .38 caliber hollowbased mold.

Ideal made a hollow based bullet for the .32 Long Colt many many years ago. It would be neat to find one of those.

Sincerely,
w30wcf

G

·
John I've never harvested a fox squirrel before, and I have been seeing one in a very large oak tree on our property . Think I may try and harvest him with the 1892 after deer season goes out. If the shot is good and I don't tear up to much I was thinking of having him mounted :D

·
Registered
111 Posts
Factory 32 long colt ammo for sale

I was reading this post and it reminded me that I have a bunch of .32 long colt ammo for sale. Mostly Winchester, with some Remington too. Inside lubed with hollow base. Factory new stuff from what I would guess is the late 1960's or early 1970's. Yellow Super X boxes on the Winchester stuff, green on the Rem stuff of course. $20 a box plus actual ups ground shipping. I would like to sell in bunches of 2 or more boxes if possible, and can email pictures of the actual boxes you would get if anyone is interested. Don't know if anyone is looking, but thought I would just mention it, as they don't make this stuff anymore, and may never make it again :-(

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
w30wcf,
If the base is the same size as the bore, the bullet's base will be too large for the small .32 Colt case. It needs to be rebated or heeled base, so that it fits in the case. I have used some .32 S&W bullets, but they require the case to be run back through the full length sizing die again after the bullet is seated, because they bulge the case, and wont chamber.
It's OK to go with a plain base bullet, as that's what I'm presently using in my old Ideal tong tool, but it should be heeled.
I hate to modify my Ideal mold to a heeled bullet, but I may modify a old Lyman mold I have, and make it a heeled mold, with hollow base. I think I can mill a plate to attach to the bottom of the mold, and make an adjustable base pin to play with the depth on the hollow base.

·
Premium Member
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
6pt-sika,
Good luck with your fox squirrel quest. It would be fun to bag a few with your vintage Marlin.

Marlinholic,
Thanks for teh info.I would have been interested but I purchased 2 boxes + some loose rounds about a month ago in anticipation of picking up a '92. Hopefully, someone will read your post that needs some.

marlinman'93,
I have found that a heel diameter of up to .302-.303" will fit into a .32 Colt case aok and will ride the bore diameter, giving support to the .25" long heal. The front driving band on the bullets (311244 and 100 RCBS) on which I have machined the heal on the last 2 driving bands, I left at .311". Accuracy in my 336A using my .30 WCF Auxiliary chamber which I modified to fit the .32 Colt cartridge has been satisfactory considering that the bullet has to jump 1+" to reach the rifling.

I have to leave on for a sales trip this week but when I return, I should be able to pick up that '92 Marlin. It will be fun and interesting working with this new, old rifle.

w30wcf

·
Premium Member
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
marlinman93,

You're most welcome. Well, I now own a '92 Marlin. Finally took posession yesterday. The rifle is in good condition, probably 70% blue.

I had ordered a center fire firing pin and ejector from Wisners as you suggested and I installed them. The firing pin took a bit of fitting but it is functioning fine now. THANK YOU for the tip.

The barrel looks good with the exception of the first 6" or so where it is a wee bit rough. Took me about 20 patches and 30 passes with a .30 caliber brush to get it clean using Hoppes. It measures out @ .307" groove diameter and .302" bore diameter. It gets a little bit tighter toward the muzzle which is a good thing.

A couple of interesting things though. The chamber will accept .32 Long cartridges, but the carrier had a spacer soldered into the rear of the cradle so it would only feed .32 Short ammunition.

I removed the spacer, but then found that the bolt has a .23" forward projection below the bolt face which appears to be specifically set for .32 Short Colt ammunition because it feeds that fine. It will not allow a .32 Long Colt cartridge to raise into battery since the projection pushes the cartridge forward when the lifter is only about 1/2 way up.

Hmmm........Marlin must have made two different bolts for this rifle, one specifically for .32 Short Colt and the other for both the .32 Short and Long Colt cartridges??!!

Well, anyway, I will single load it to try it out between Christmas and New Years to see how it shoots. I'll have to work on the bolt later.
I'll keep you posted on my progress.

Oh, I found out that my lot of .32 Long Colt cartridges loaded with a solid heeled bullet measuring .303" diameter will still leave .002-.003" case clearance in my rifle's chamber.

Merry Christmas and best wishes for a healthy and prosperious 2005!

w30wcf

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Hi 30wcf!
Sounds like a neat gun! The projection on the bottom of the bolt is a mystery to me? I've never heard or seen one that wouldn't feed and chamber .32 Long Colts before? If you get a chance, email me a picture of the bolt. I'd like to see this oddity!
I guess I could wonder all sorts of things about what it might be until I actually see it.
Have a great Christmas, and enjoy your new '92!

G

·
John , glad to here you got the 92. When it warms up a bit down here i will cast you some bullets of the heel variety :!:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Marlin Micro Groove Barrels

Anyone know why Marlin is moving away from the micro groove barrel.
Appreciate any information on this.

ALJ

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
It's believed that the Micro-Groove barrels wont shoot cast bullets well, so they went back to the cut rifling to meet the demand. I think the old Micro-Groove rifling has proved it will shoot fine with cast bullets, but it takes a bit more work to find the right combo. The new style rifling is a bit more forgiving, and people are happy with it, so they will probably stick with it for now.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Micro Groove Barrel

Thanks Marlinman, This is what I have found, also i find it only takes a little harder formuler to solve this problem, Even copper coated bullets do fine.
Thanks for the input.

ALJ

1 - 20 of 21 Posts