Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to stop taking days off from work. I think I will buy any old Marlin under $500.00 even if I don't want to. I had been checking out some guns including a old Marlin 1893 or something like that and was turning to leave. The guy behind the counter says oh here is an old one I didn't notice. It is a 1954 336 RC 32 special. Of course I didn't own a 32 spc. so I bought it. I also paid $100. more than I should have. I got it for $400. with a box of bullets and a lyman sight that looks like nut is missing on the front. It works fine though. Anyway it is a little beat up. The wood needs to be cleaned up and there are some dings near the loading gate. It will take some elbow grease but I think it will clean up good enough to make a nice looking truck gun. Here are some as is pictures of it. :vollkommenauf:

32 spec..jpg 32 special.jpg 32 spc.jpg 003.JPG

·
Registered
271 Posts
I think you're probably right on with the assessment of what you paid, but that old girl has some character. I like it! Nice pick up.

Reactions: Golphin

·
Registered
661 Posts
I feel for ya buddy. But don't feel like the lone ranger. Yesterday on the way home from SW Colorado, I dropped into a little pawn shop and found a 1894 .44 mag of 1979( I think) vintage.
Soon as I got the guy to $500.00 I took it. Seemed like a good idea at the time, even if the dryer broke a few days before. Looks like a real nice rifle you rescued. Post a few pics when it's
cleaned up and I'll do the same.

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
I'm a sucker for 32 WSPs, I just love that caliber. Nice purchase!

Reactions: Golphin

·
Premium Member
17,013 Posts
Hey G,

Those .32 Specials do just fine on venison and black bear. Pretty sure it will work "good" on hogs, too!

Great score! (look at this way, that sight is worth $100. The ammo is worth $30. You got the rifle for $270! Steal!)

Later, Mark

·
Registered
20,660 Posts
Way to go Golphin, glad to hear your finding the deals.

·
Administrator
23,796 Posts
Now that you have the best them other things will start getting jealous

·
Registered
20,660 Posts
Hey G, don't forget to join team 32:biggrin:

·
Super Moderator
25,165 Posts
Thanks guys. Yea, WIMarlin thats what got me was I have a couple of 30-30's just picked up a .35 rem a week or so ago and then run into a 32 wsp that of course I didn't have one of. So I had no choice.
I think you are finding out the same thing I did. Marlinitis is incurable--12 Marlins later--thay still haven't cured me!

·
Registered
569 Posts
Nice find, if I ever see a 32 around here it's going home with me!

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
Thanks guys. Yea, WIMarlin thats what got me was I have a couple of 30-30's just picked up a .35 rem a week or so ago and then run into a 32 wsp that of course I didn't have one of. So I had no choice.
You won't regret your decision I promise you that :)

Reactions: Ret_Eng

·
Registered
964 Posts
Nice work Golphin, those 32's are special.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Good snag! :congrats:

·
Registered
887 Posts
I bought a 32 made in 1955. The stock was loose as a goose and the rifle is pitted all over too. The firing pin was broken and so was the front sight and the old rifle had never been cleaned as far as I could tell. But it sure has a nice trigger! Now it still looks bad but it has been thoroughly cleaned and the firing pin and front sight replaced. It would make a nice truck gun if I had a truck. When I shoot it I get a big smile on my face because it just feels like no other model 336 that I own.....fantastic! That 32 is a great caliber! A great quality rifle to be sure.....

·
Registered
797 Posts
Nice rifle, Golphin. From what I can tell in the pics, it don't look like an ole beater truck gun. The wood looks to have nice figure to the grain.
I think that was a good price, especially with the sight and ammo.

Hope the 32 WSP shoots well for you.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts