Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Some of you might be tired of hearing from me but being new to this I appreciate everyone's help. I have found 2 different model and year model Marlin 30/30 that I want but probably should only buy one for now. Price on both is $250 out the door.First one is a !988 Model 336 CS with walnut like I like with bullseye. It has a few dings in the wood, a very small spot of what looks like rust to me on the barrel about the size of a pinhead and the rest of the bluing is nice, pistol grip end cap has a couple dings. It has not been fired all that much from what I can tell and the action is nice. Now the second one is a 1977 pre safety model 336 with walnut and the bullseye that someone put a sling mount in which I know I can fix. It has only a couple small dents in the wood and very nice looking finish. The bluing is not as nice as the other as it's a little rough feeling in spots especially under the barrel ahead of the forearm piece. The action is really smooth on this one and it also doesn't appear to have been shot all that much. Both of these have very nice grooves inside the barrel and shiny. I'm kinda leaning towards the 1977 model as I want a pre safety model but would like to have nicer bluing. I'm going to attach pics so hopefully the gang here can advise me best ya'll can. First is the 1988 model 336CS LOOK FOR THE OTHER 2 POST TITLED FEW MORE PICS. THANKS
y Shotgun Trigger Air gun
Gun Firearm Trigger Shotgun Air gun
Wood Bamboo fly rod
Shotgun Trigger Wood

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,126 Posts
You cant go wrong at that price for either, I prefer pre safety.

·
Registered
133 Posts
For sure both. But if only one I would go with the 77. Found a 1976 last week it don't look near as good as these but for $250 I am getting it just for a project to try my hand at rebluing and stock refinishing. Seen a lot worse on GB for $400. Plus.

·
Premium Member
16,818 Posts
we all think you should get both, but if you have to pick one, I would vote for the pre-safety model (just my preference)

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
we all think you should get both, but if you have to pick one, I would vote for the pre-safety model (just my preference)
I agree on both if I can swing it. What part of the Texas hill country are you in. The pic of me on the right is on my cream color horse Peaches at the Merrick ranch in Bandera, Tx.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Get both, shoot em, find the one you like best and if you need the money sell the lesser favorite for close to what you paid for both on gunbroker

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
Yeah great deal on either. Personally I prefer the newer CS models, and I also just get the delete plugs for those go awful crossbolts. Keep us posted

·
Registered
3,383 Posts

·
Registered
11,599 Posts
At those prices it is hard not to say get them both like others have mentioned if you can. I'm sure after shooting them and then deciding which you prefer, or perhaps which groups best on paper, you could sell the other and make a few bucks. I have both pre-safety rifles from the 70's and later ones with it from the 80's on etc., and personally the safety doesn't bother me at all. Good luck to you.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.