Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw a nice Marlin 883, tube-fed .22 magnum, with a decent scope in a pawnshop yesterday for $149. I was sorely tempted, but left without it. 1) I have an XT stainless that shoots great, 2) I just bought a shotgun I didn't need, and 3) the store was crowded, knew it would take at least an hour for background check, etc. But....still thinking about it. Must resist...must resist.

·
Registered
373 Posts
tallguy606, If you're not gonna buy the 883, send me the shops name because I would love a $149.00 883. Well plus some S&H. :top:

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, 45Bill, you called it. Found myself near the same pawnshop today, lo and behold, the 883 was still there in the rack. They let me have it for $149, tax included. Got it home, bore is excellent, blue excellent with no rust at all or worn spots, walnut stock very nice with only a couple little dings. 1993 serial number. Rear sight missing as is the front sight hood. I think I have both those items in my junk box. Range check tomorrow; praying it feeds, fires, and ejects OK.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
I'm glad it was still there! I always say, if it's still there when I return, then it's meant to be. Enjoy it and let us know how she shoots!

Reactions: starstorm

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Range report on my new (old) 883. Action works flawlessly, feeding, firing, ejecting like new. Shot a few 50-yard targets to sight in the old, funky Simmons scope that came on it. My best group, using 40-gr Hornady ammo, was 3 shots in 5/8 inches off the bench. I have had 4 or 5 Marlin .22 Mag rifles over the years, this is about typical for any of them. A really good shooter could probably tighten this up. But sweat was running in my eyes and biting flies were bothering me, so I thought that was OK. That's my excuse, and I'm sticking to it...

·
Registered
572 Posts
Well, 45Bill, you called it. Found myself near the same pawnshop today, lo and behold, the 883 was still there in the rack. They let me have it for $149, tax included. Got it home, bore is excellent, blue excellent with no rust at all or worn spots, walnut stock very nice with only a couple little dings. 1993 serial number. Rear sight missing as is the front sight hood. I think I have both those items in my junk box. Range check tomorrow; praying it feeds, fires, and ejects OK.
Glad it was still there for you to get and that it works flawlessly for you. We don't have biting flies where I live however the mosquito are so bad this year that when they go for blood it like being stung by a bee, so yea I can see how it would affect the group.

Reactions: 45Bill

·
Super Moderator
4,352 Posts
Whay to go back and get that lil rifle. When I have an average day I blame it on the heat and the buffalo gnats.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.