Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I finally did it, I walked into my local gunshop to pick up two rifles I had worked on by my gunsmith (pics of that in another thread!) and low and behold they had an SBL, the manager ran over and handed it to me, I looked it over, wood fits great, metal looks good, cycles nice....oh well, I said I'll take it!
So now my GBL has a partner! I still have to strip it all the way down, so we'll see how it looks on the inside tomorrow!

·
Banned
2,803 Posts
Congrats !
Great looking guns.
We Remlin owners should start another team called "The Remlin Gremlins".

Reactions: BFPGW and mazer

·
Premium Member
17,107 Posts
Hey Mazer,

Good for you! Glad you have a "handle" on your Marlinitis! LOL

Later, Mark

Reactions: mazer

·
Premium Member
7,974 Posts
It sounds to me like your wife needs a nice dinner out this weekend. Those are two great looking rifles as I am one of those who like the big loops.

Quote ... "Marlinitis in overdrive!" ... when isn't it? :hmmmm:

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Hey mazer, congrats on the new Marlin. I'm glad you are finally getting a handle on that dreaded Marlinitis, didn't want it to take you over the edge. Take care, John.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Congrats! Been looking for a new Remlin myself but coming up short.
Would you be so kind to post a photo of how the wood meets the side of the receiver?

·
Registered
231 Posts
I did the same thing a couple of weeks ago when I spotted my SBL . It was put together very nicely. Took her apart and it wasn't really all that bad. I installed a WW trigger and that's it..She's good to go.

·
Premium Member
4,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
dek I stripped mine down today and basically found the same things you did, the usual tool marks and some rough edges that came down quickly and easily with a sharpening stone..over all I'm pleased with this rifle inside and out. Now the big test....I need to shoot it!

·
Banned
2,803 Posts
dek I stripped mine down today and basically found the same things you did, the usual tool marks and some rough edges that came down quickly and easily with a sharpening stone..over all I'm pleased with this rifle inside and out. Now the big test....I need to shoot it!
When I stripped my new Remlin 336 the innards were pretty smooth with very few metal burrs which I nipped in the bud with jewelers files and a fine grained knife sharpening stone.
A 6 year old could strip apart and reassemble a 336 or 1895 and a good post purchase stripping/cleaning/deburring never hurts.
But if you are not the adventurous type just remove the butt stock and spray the receiver and action down with non-chlorinate brake parts cleaner while working the finger lever vigorously and let the run-off drip into a pail until the drippings run clear.
Then relubricate with your favorite aerosol oil (I used Remoil which is as good as any) and distribute the oil to all moving parts in by cycling the action.
This cleans most of the factory gunk out of the action and relubricates the action with clean oil.
After that I broke the action in by cycling it at least 500 times and it is now as smooth as melted butter.
Cleaning and breaking in a new levergun isn't rocket science.
It takes about an hour inclusive of the 500 cycles.

·
Premium Member
8,595 Posts
Congrats to you Mazer! She looks like a Beauty!!!

Glad to hear it was not rough on the innards...
I hope she shoots half as good as it looks!

Awhile back I detail stripped my 1894P, and lordy I never seen another Marlin inside that was Sooo Clean n Smooth!?.!?.?.? I didn't have to do a Thing inside to it except a little lube and SHOOT!

ENJOY it Buddy and please let us know how she shoots!x

BloodGroove4570

·
Premium Member
4,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm going to try it with the peep first....then go from there. Scout scope is a definite possibility though. Never done the scout scope setup so should interesting.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Mazer, I am anxiously awaiting your full report plus pictures. I handled a brand new Remlin that was stainless the other day. I'm ashamed to admit it, but it was flawless--other than the wood they made the stock out of. If it were mine, I would call Boyd's Gunstocks so fast it would make their heads jerk. But the rifle was nice. I trust that yours is, too. Good luck!

Ron

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.