Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a good starter 22 to take the kids out that has iron sights...I have my Model 60 but it's set up with a scope and the irons on were awful anyway.

If I could get my hands on a good 39A that won't break the bank I would...Lever guns are scarce around here...Lucked into my 336 a few years ago at LGS.

I would prefer a tube fed rifle so I'm not locked into 22LR.

Any help would be appreciated...

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ttt

·
Registered
519 Posts
The XT-22 factory sights are nothing special. You'll want a good third party peep sight or scope. I don't own the TR, but I'd favor a tube mag if I was buying it today. I consider my Standard XT22 a 1.5 MOA gun. But, I have shot 1.25 inches at 100 yards with the right ammo. The tube fed model should give you similar results.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I just picked up my Marlin XT22 TSR Monday. ( Pics and review upcoming ). I did the normal breakdown / familiarization /clean up Monday night. Test firing yesterday went fine. Ran some 22LR and 22Longs through it perfectly. The sights are not great. Had to do a windage adj , but once I did I got it to a 5" grouping at 100'. I have old eyes and only getting the sights correct before I put the scope on it. Will do more sight fine adj this weekend.
Now about the rifle - I did a little sanding and polishing to the receiver on the bolt travel cut out - Factory left a sharp edge and wasn't cut evenly. That is the only thng I have found wrong. It runs great and the stainless looks great. I picked mine up for $275 at a local LGS. IF you want a good bolt action 22 - this is a good choice.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have the XT22tr, and its really a sweet gun. Tighter then a inch at 25ft, a little over a inch at 50, and my bad eyes got it within two inches at 100 after a few trys. Sights are basic, but frankly for me its easier to see then the stock sights on my 336. Id like to put a peep sight on it, but I want to keep it as it is to teach my kids first. Its really a great do it all .22.

·
Registered
240 Posts
The addition of a good set of peep sites to what you already give will be cheaper and enhance an already good gun

Just throwing it out there.

I know all many need is an excuse for a new gun and this can be fun but sometimes funds don't permit it. At least not as much as some might like. ;)

CW

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys..

A rifle to teach the kids on is what I'm looking for...I would prefer not to use a model 60 or 10-22...Don't need any rapid fire from a 10 year old...My model 60 is set up with a 3-9x bushnell scope for squirrels and it will tear out the 2"center of a target at 50 yards. My thinking is that heating of the barrel is what throws off accuracy, not so much with a .22, but having the tube mag adds some additional heat sink to the barrel.

I do like the idea of traditional iron sights to teach with...I know a good peep would improve the accuracy.

Again if I could find a Marlin 39A that is a shooter and affordable, not that I wouldn't mind finding a safe queen that's affordable, I would jump on it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
After not being able to find a 981tsr I gave up and lucked into an XT22tsr. I like the trigger alot better than the T900 trigger of the 900 series.

I'm not buying barrel heat up or that a mag tube helps. I like the tube for more capacity, no extra cost for more mags, and not poking me in the back while carrying over my shoulder.

I haven't compared it to my pre Rem Marlins for accuracy.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts