Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just got an XT-22 tsr, which is the tube-fed version in stainless. I have always heard nothing but good things about Marlins, and my godfather literally owns over a hundred of them, a collection that I have always adored, and which really led me to getting this first Marlin of mine. I feel comfortable saying the following about this rifle because I am knowledgeable about firearms, and have owned and do own quite a few, even gunsmith on everything myself. After most things that I have read and been told, it seems that maybe the company has gone downhill since being purchased by Remington.. Maybe what I see before me is validation of that.

I am a pretty new member, and speaking to marlin fans, but this is my review. Deal wit it.

Now before I go bashing this gun, I'll first say that through the cheap plastic front sight I was easily plinking cans at 100 yards.. I really like the quality of the steel used in making the barrel, and the rifling seems to be flawless to the naked eye. The gun is well-balanced, and seems very durable. The rear flip-up peep sight is a great throw back that I think is awesome. I have only fired about 800 rounds through it and had only two malfunctions, both of which were failures to fire, which could be blamed on the ammo (as both times it was with the same munition), although I have not done enough shooting with it to be sure (I have fired 4 different types of ammo through it thus far). Also, it is a sexy looking gun, in my opinion. BEST PART = PRICE TAG.

First, and really most importantly, talking bout the machining. When I opened it up for the first time and started to give it a good clean and examination, there were near-microscopic, and some vary visible metal filings all over inside.. Most so small that on my rubber gloves it just shone sparkly in the light, some a bit larger, but none more than 3/4mm across really. BUT that means to me that these were made as quickly as possible in a factory line. Also, there were metal shavings that had not entirely come off on the "W" grooves on the underside of the bolt carrier. They did not affect anything as I removed and replaced the bolt a few times, but having owned high-quality bolt action rifles, a sako being the finest, the machining on some of these metal parts is a disgrace.. How can the manufacturer not have the time to even thoroughly de-burr and clean each part before assembly? Any gunsmith could have de-burred some of the edges in only a few seconds, just as I did.. Even with the very low-priced tag on this gun, I wouldn't consider that an excuse.

Second, the internals. I am a big supporter of being able to do EVERYTHING that could need to be done on your own guns. The trigger assembly seems to be almost impossible to take apart on your own.. the receiver seems to be the same. And I cannot find anything anywhere online to educate myself. I am aware that this is a new model, but from my experience, this sort of thing is done to promote the use of "authorized service centers." I shouldn't need someone else to do a deep clean of my rifle, no matter how rare the occurrence that the trigger ass'y would get too gunked up to function. The receiver is also something that maybe I just have yet to understand about these guns... The owners manual, in all it's gibberish, had only a few lines, and not a single picture, about the cleaning of the receiver.. Even the trigger assembly, the directions seem to just gear towards lubrication and pushing the grime away until later.

I hope i can get some feedback from you all about further take-down of this gun, especially in how to clean the barrel without constantly having collateral damage (ie dirty splatter all over surrounding and seemingly unmovable parts. Maybe it is just that I am unaccustomed to Marlins, but it seems that almost every part I clean I am just pushing grime into further recesses of the gun. Help with further dis-assembly? That is really my biggest concern from here on out..

Hopefully this wasn't too critical for anyone and it can spread a point of view about these XT rifles. By the way, mine came out of the batch just released, 3rd quarter, 2012.

EDIT: Since spending a little more time with the trigger assembly, I see that it may be taken down to an extent by removing 3 C-Brackets, but it still looks somewhat limiting. I am hoping maybe someone can post a video or pictures or something of their assembly being taken apart. Thanks

·
Registered
711 Posts
You do your own gunsmithing? OK, I won't dispute that.
I found the XT-22 very simple to work on.
As far as finish work, you'll find the same with any budget rifle-manufacturing costs are kept down to allow a low sales price.
Here's pics of the trigger assembly and bolt when I re-worked mine.

Good luck with yours...

·
Registered
31 Posts
RAdar 1, nice pics. I just got a tr and a tsr. Broke them both down but not as far as you did. Like I left the trigger group together. I just took it down far enought to clean eveything and get some EEZOX on everything. Looks like pretty darn good gun for the money to me. I was actually pretty impressed with the quality. Is it as perfect as my full KIDD 10/22? No, but the KIDD cost over a grand and it should be better.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow, Radar, thank you very much.. That is basically exactly what I was needing to guide me along, a layout of the bolt and trigger assembly.. I can't thank you enough for those pictures. Being my first Marlin, I was just very unfamiliar with this assembly, and really didn't want to take something out that would damage something.. Which it seemed as I would. Is there any way you could post a series of disassembling the trigger assembly so that I may see what order you disassemble?? That would be an absolute godsend to me, being my first Marlin and all..

And I do agree that it seems to be a solid piece of gear, but my opinion still stands true that I think much of the machining was done shoddily.. Maybe in spots that it simply does not matter.. as it seems.

Either way, thanks again for what you have provided. And as far as me gunsmithing, it is mostly done on Glocks, so I am just downright unfamiliar with some aspects of this rifle, but am learning a ton as I go, thanks to posts such as yours.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Huxford, here's how it went. Sorry, but those are the only pics I took and it was after the tuning was done.
I simply examined the trigger group after I removed it from the receiver, and guessed at what order to remove the various parts of the assembly. Frankly, I really don't remember the steps but it was obvious on examination how it came apart. As you remove the pins and springs the sub assemblies come free-very straightforward design.
I placed the parts in groups as the came out, so I could remember the order to re-assemble.
A word of caution here, if I were you I wouldn't take the bolt apart-it's a major pita to get it back together.
I started on 1911's and revolvers. Take a S&W DA apart and you'll earn a deep respect for the Smith's that specialize in them. I've never handled a Glock.
Anyhow, here's my XT-22 now...trigger and bolt work done, re-crown, in a bedded Boyds Rimfire Hunter stock...

Here's a sight in target right after the work, before the new stock. I don't have a pic of a target since then, but it's shooting better all the time!

I'm sure you'll enjoy that rifle once you get to know it:) .

Reactions: Huxford

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Glocks are just about the simplest firearm I have ever had the chance to work with, and the most reliable to boot. If handguns interest you, I would check out a gen 4 g19.. It's my go to.

Einstein- 'Everything should be made as simple as possibe, but not simpler.'
Glock took those words to heart.

Can I ask, what front sight do you have? It does not look like the stock plastic one. Where ought I look for after-market fronts to fit this model?

As always, I appreciate the feedback!

·
Registered
711 Posts
My XT is an early one. It was in the first shipment to Dick's here. The front sight is stock, and made of steel-as is the trigger guard. Later production runs changed these to the plastic you get now. I read that 800-900 series parts might fit, but can't confirm that.

Reactions: Huxford

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I read that 800-900 series parts might fit, but can't confirm that.
Right on, I'll look into that angle. If you don't mind me asking, why put so much work in to, as you put it, a 'Budget rifle'? Why not just buy a step up, such as a low caliber tikka or something? Your rifle looks amazing, I'm just curious what drew you to do so.

·
Registered
711 Posts
It's a hobby. Fun to see what you can get out of a rifle with a little work.
You should join over at RimfireCentral and visit the various forums-it will amaze you.

·
Registered
34 Posts
My XT-22R was perfect as received. It must have been made on Wednesday. I always take new guns apart and tune them up. I found nothing in this one.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
My son-in-law picked one up a few months ago and it was about perfect out of the box. I only shoot 60's, I picked up one of the new ones two months ago and was very impressed with the workmanship on mine, matches my 1996 very close. I had wanted to get a slew of spare parts for my older 60, turned out it was cheaper to just get the whole rifle, got mine for $149.99 on sale.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts