Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Marlin XT-22 MVO Model - A New Addition to the Collection

Bull Barrel, wood stock, 22WMR, 3x9x32 scope (EDIT - This was the only photo I could find online before I actually saw one in the gun shop)

I saw today that our local shop has 5 of these in stock. Looks like I will have to stop by tomorrow and take a look as I have not seen this particular model. I'll report back on fit & finish and general observations.

Anyone here got one of these? If so how do you like it?

I wouldn't mind having one of the XT series in 22 magnum to compliment the 983 I already have.

Regards, TallGrass

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hey Tall Grass, that looks like something I'd be interested in too. Let us know what your observations are.

Reactions: TallGrass

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Evening,

As promised, I dropped by the local gun shop today and got a close up look at the XT-22 MVO.

Here's what I found :

The overall fit and finish of the rifle was pretty good.

The hardwood stock is I believe birch and nicely fashioned. The stock is comfortable in the hand and the for-end has a flat bottom with nicely rounded outer edges. It is not overly bulky in the hand yet sits well on a rest. The wood is well sanded with no apparent rough scratches or sanding marks and has been finished with what looks to me like a light oil stain finish.

Wood to metal fit is excellent. The bluing is good and the action was smooth although still slightly stiff as one might expect a new rifle to be.

The 3x9x32 scope that is part of the MVO offering was a Chinese made scope with a Marlin label on it. It was mounted with the cross hairs aligned properly and it came with scope covers. Adjustment through the magnifications was smooth.

The rifle comes with one 7 round magazine and one 4 round magazine.

The heavy barrel is noticably heavier than my 981 and 983 models and the bluing was quite good. The crown is recessed and looked crisp. The barrel is free floated back to the forward mounting bolt.

After close inspection, I liked it and decided to pick one up to add to the collection :biggrin:

Here are a few photos :

As it arrived in the box

Metal to wood fit is good

I knew when I bought it I would change out the scope to a 4x16x40 AO scope I had and I made that change once I got it home

As always, I cleared the firearm, pulled the bolt and gave the rifle an initial inspection and cleaning. The barrel was slightly dirty from what looked like test firing but there were no metal tailings or other machining debris in the barrel, receiver or action. I was pleased to find a fairly immaculate scenario in that regard.

I oiled up the bolt and a few other areas , bore sighted the new scope and went out back to fire a few rounds to check things out. I verified that I was centered on paper at 25 yards and moved the target board back out to 100 yards. A few sighters and I had it shooting on target fairly quickly. I only used a forward rest today but was quickly shooting most shots into a 1 1/2" bull. It was fairly breezy and damp here today so I didn't do much more than get it close.

The trigger is adjusted fairly stiff out of the box and I plan to adjust it down to 3.5 lbs this evening when I remove the action from the stock to inspect and oil the internals.

Tomorrow I will set up the shooting table and shoot from a forward rest and rear bag.

All in all a pretty sweet little shooter, I'm pleased.

Regards, TallGrass

·
Registered
218 Posts
Looks great! Nice review. Now I have GAS - gun acquisition syndrome. Glad to hear there are nice Marlins being cranked out.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Howdy Ocduff, thanks. I looked at 2 of the five they had in the store and both of them were solid in all the aspects I mentioned above.

After all the problems folks have been having with some of the products since the transition, I had some concerns about this new rifle but after close inspection, I couldn't ask for much more at this price point. I will say however, that I have looked at many of the new lever action models since the transition and was not impressed with most of them.

Please accept my apology for having a hand at giving you GAS !

Regards, TallGrass

·
Registered
159 Posts
Very nice rifle! The bull barrel looks like it is ready for serious business. Question: The first picture you posted has a stock that looks like brown laminant with black "swirl marks" in it yet yours looks solid brown. So are they two different rifles where one has a customized stock? Here is another newbi to firearms question: what is metal tailings as apposed to machining debris? I guess I am hung up on the tailings part.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Evening NiraBlue, thanks..

The first picture I posted was the only one I could find on the net of the MVO model and that is what I was expecting when I went into the gun shop today. It looked like a laminate stock in that photo but all the descriptions I found just said hardwood. I was pleased when I saw an actual rifle and it was the stock you see in the rest of the photos.

As for the terms metal tailings and machining debris, tailings are the metal particles and chips from the metal removed when parts are machined. One of the problems folks have been reporting with the new Marlins has been lots of metal tailings inside the receiver and actions when they open the box. This would suggest some poor manufacturing and quality control procedures to most of us. When I used the term machining debris, I was referring to wood shavings/chips and other debris such as polishing or lapping compound that might have been left over when parts were smoothed, etc. I've seen a number of new rifles and pistols from numerous manufacturers that had such debris when I opened the package.

It is why you hear folks recommend that you always do a thorough inspection and cleaning of any new or used firearm before firing it.

Does that answer your question well enough?

Regards, TallGrass

·
Registered
159 Posts
Yes, now if only there were picture examples of these different types of debris with red arrows to each kind. Not saying for you to do it. I am just trying to learn what seems to be basic to most people. So what do you shoot at with your magnum rifles? Do you have anything special planned for this new one? I tried out one of my new to me black on black bolt action magnums and the bolt was VERY difficult to move/cycle. Maybe it wasn't even used before I got it. I ask because you said yours was slightly stiff. My gunsmith told me to use some synthetic birchwood casey oil in a can as it will not gum up and will keep the action smooth. So maybe this is what new rifles need after a cleaning?

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I use the 22 magnums for small game and varmint hunting out to 125 yards. I have also taken 3 coyotes now with the 983. For varmint hunting beyond 125 yards I have a Browning A-Bolt rifle in 243 WSSM . Here is a shot of both 22 mag and 243 WSSM rounds.

I also like to shoot paper targets at 100 yards with the 22 magnum. :biggrin:

With respect to your bolt being stiff, I assume you pulled it out of the gun and cleaned it, oiled it up and wiped off any excess and then applied a bit of grease at the back end of the bolt where the striking pin and bolt housing mate. If you have your manual, take a look at the section on cleaning and maintaining the bolt assembly. I also put a bit of grease on the receiver where the bolt touches it when the bolt is closed. If you look closely just behind your bolt when you close it, you will see where it contacts the right side of the receiver. On several of my new bolts action Marlins, this area has been quite sharp and I have smoothed the sharp edge with a fine file. After shooting several hundred rounds this area seems to wear in and the sharp edge stops developing and the bolt becomes much smoother. A touch of gun oil or grease where these two metal surfaces come in contact during break-in helps a lot in my experience.

The bolt on the new rifle has already freed up and is quite smooth now after firing 50 rounds today and then pulling it out tonight and cleaning and oiling things back up.

·
Registered
64 Posts
:congrats:Thanks for the great review and Congrats on the new Marlin. That does look nice. I'm torn between buying a new 22WMR rifle or just refinishing my old 980. Perhaps I should do both? :biggrin: I picked up my 980 last year at a pawn shop for $120 bucks. It's well worn but still shoots great. I would like it to have a little better trigger on it. I love my XT-17 it is a tack driver at 100 yards barring any wind. My reason for wanting the XT-22 is to have a 22 mag that shoots like my 17. I'm not ready to give up on the 980 yet.

·
Registered
711 Posts
TallGrass, when you get around to the trigger you'll find a robust assembly. It'll be packed with a yellowish grease(mine was anyway). I took mine apart, cleaned it all out, polished the mating surfaces, and did a little spring clipping. I was able to get a crisp, safe break at under a pound-and able to adjust back to over 4#.
I also took the bolt apart and polished it. Do this only if you're brave-it came apart easily but was a bear to get back together...
I also cut a relief in the top of the bolt handle to clear large ocular scopes, the only fault I found with this rifle. I bought the very first one I saw and could handle. I've since fitted it in a Boyd's Target Hunter stock-very pleased with this package...You'll love yours!

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Morning Radar 1 ,

Thanks for the close up shots of the trigger and bolt assemblies. I recall your rifle from the shots and will go check out the write up you did. For now I plan to stay with the factory stock but I have been thinking about one of the Boyd's laminates for this rifle.

Regards, TallGrass

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Pouring rain here today so I went ahead and pulled the stock off and cleaned and oiled everything as well as applied several coats of stock wax to the interior and exterior of the stock..

The internals were spotless with no manufacturing debris present.

Here are a few pics out of the stock.

I cleaned and oiled the trigger as recommended in the manual but did not disassemble it. I also decided to shoot it with no adjustments for a few hundred rounds before making any adjustment.

The rifle is now reassembled and if the rain clears, I will try to get some more shooting in today.

Regards, TallGrass

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Range Report XT-22 MV

Well the rain never quit yesterday but it was partly sunny/cloudy this morning and I was able to get into the field to do some more shooting.

I tried three different 22 WMR ammos today, the Fiocchi 40 gr JSP, Winchester Super-X 40 JSP and the CCI Maxi-Mag 40 gr JHP. In the end the CCI ammo shot best of the three I tried today.

Here's the setup -

All total I fired 120 rounds, the Fiocchi and CCI ammo gave me no problems, no FTF or FTE.

The Winchester ammo did not feel right so I only fired 5 rounds. While it fires fine out my 983, in the XT-22 MV I notice it is considerably harder to close the bolt and to open and eject a spent round. I saved the cases and will have to do some exploration on that issue.

Today's weather was good, 80 degrees, mixed sun and clouds , slight breeze (measured 5 mph at the target) right to left. Fairly humid but not uncomfortable.

This rifle shows promise and is great fun to shoot. Here are a few photos.

Center bull was the Fiocchi and lower right bull was the CCI. The two low right shots on the lower right dog were from the Winchester ammo which shot way low and right. The other three rounds are off the target further down and to the right.

For grins I put up a large target for my final 10 rounds with the CCI ammo

I'm pleased so far. Some observations -

The trigger has been cleaned and oiled but not adjusted yet and it seems to be smoothing up already. It still has a lot of room for improvement though.

The bolt has loosened up and operates smoothly. The initial stiffness is gone.

As expected, the heavy barrel takes longer to get hot but it is possible to heat it up after 30 or so rounds. Having said that, grouping does not seem to vary as much as with my lighter barreled 983.. I waited 10 minutes or so after every 30 rounds.

I need to explore why the Winchester ammo gave me difficulties. It it as though the shells were too long but I won't know till I measure things.

Anyway, I think it's a keeper. Hope everyone gets a chance to go out and shoot some before the weekend gets away.

Regards, TallGrass

1 - 16 of 16 Posts