Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Microphone Automotive design Audio equipment Gadget Material property

Hood Sleeve Collar Automotive design Vehicle

Automotive tire Tire Automotive design Carbon Rim

Just got my first Marlin. Trying to figure out it’s history as best I can. Has a 917xxxxx serial number. Also stamped “The Marlin Firearms Co North Haven, CT”. It look like it has an “x” and a “71” stamp on the left side. Then the right side has a “REP” in a circle and next to it what looks like a “74”.
At the end of the day all that matters is how well this rifle shoots. I’m just curious to know about it. I’ve attached a few pictures of the stamp marks. Thanks I’m advance!

· Registered
21,355 Posts
When Marlin Firearms was acquired by Freedom Group/Remington Outdoors, the BATFE gave Remington permission to use the North Haven barrel rollstamp through 2011-2012. The REP proof stamp on the right rear barrel means it was Remington assembled. The 917xxxxx serial number indicates 2010 or 2011 manufacture. 'XE' is the Remington date code for December 2010.
Your rifle was made from parts manufactured by North Haven Connecticut Marlin, moved to Ilion New York after the sale, and assembled in Ilion. Rifles assembled in Connecticut 2009 have a JM proof stamp. Marlin North Haven stopped assembling rifles in the Spring of 2010, and assembly began in New York.
I own an 1894 Marlin with a Connecticut barrel roll stamp, an REP proof, and a 'KG' Remington date code, May of 2012.

I don't know what 71 or 74 means. Your rifle was manufactured sometime after Spring 2010 and before the end of 2012, when the North Haven made stash of parts ran out.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That was incredibly helpful. Thank you. To the best of your knowledge did parts manufactured in North Haven differ in quality from those manufactured New York? Or did they not manufacture parts after the move to New York? Also, was QC better depending on where they were assembled? Thanks again.

· Super Moderator
26,602 Posts
The CT parts were much superior in QA/QC along with the technicians that worked there. Remlin manufacturing QA/QC was severely lacking during 2010-2014. The rifles made after that were still hit or miss but did have better quality than the first few years of NY manufacture.
I have a XS7S in 308 Win like yours---made of CT parts but assembled in NY by Remlin. It is a very good rifle. Overall, the Marlin bolt guns fared much better than the lever action models. This was probably due to Remlin having lots of experiencing with making and proofing bolt guns.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts