Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
I have a X7VH in .223 and it has the 26" bull barrel. This gun is basically a throw in the truck and go shoot some p-dogs or rabbits. I recently went coyote calling with it for the first time and it just seems to long for me. What woul be the ideal length to cut the barrel to? I am going to take it to a gunsmith so I don't have to worry about messing up the crowning and frankly I just don't trust myself to cut the barrel square. I was thinking within the range of 18" or 20" but if I can get away with a 16" I would be ok with that. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
8,497 Posts
I wouldnt go shorter than 20" probably 21 or 22 for the varmit gun...another 2c

·
Registered
324 Posts
I have considered this myself but could never get an definitive answer from anyone.

I do not see any manufacture discontinuing a .223 bolt rifle. that dont make sense

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yea it's a popular cartridge. Everyone I have talked to says that 20" is the best. I talked to dangerous Dan last night. He has a 223 with a 16.5 barrel and says its to loud to shoot out of the truck. I think I'm going with 20" so it's easier to maneuver and maybe take a little weight off of it

·
Registered
324 Posts
Would be interested in the results after you chop it.
I have the same rifle, had the same thoughts.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Dont go below 20in,I'll tell you my experience.I bought a ruger compact with a 16.5 in barrel,I can not hold it steady off hand.The balance in all wrong,its fine off the bench and very handy,but when a offhand shot presents itself at any kind of distance its not happening .

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I took it to my gunsmith yesterday. He is backed up so he won't have it done till Monday or Tuesday.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Well I took it to my gunsmith yesterday. He is backed up so he won't have it done till Monday or Tuesday.
"backed up" and it'll only take him the weekend... Wish our gunsmiths were that quick!

I took an old side by side shotgun to a local one to have a tang straightened and new wood fit and finished (my grandpa used it as a club at some point). His "backed up" took 8 mths!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I went with a 18" barrel. I took it out and it's loud but accurate and a heck of a lot easier to handle. I didn't notice any accuracy loss with it either. I guess I will keep playing around with it and let you know how it performs in the field.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts