Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys. I've been thinking about getting in the Cowboy Shooting thing and am looking at either a Marlin 1894 or a Rossi R92. I realize I will need to invest a bit in both to smooth things out, new sights, etc. I have 3 Marlin lever guns now, so this is mostly a Rossi question. Any good feedback weighing the pros and cons of each would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
5,018 Posts
Hey there okc-jimbo -- I'd take one Marlin over two Rossi's any day of the week. I've got some gun leather for sale down in the classified section that would work good for you as well, if it would fit you. Best regards. Wind

·
Registered
124 Posts
A Rossi was my first SASS gun. I have nothing good to say about it.

A Marlin was my second SASS gun and it got me through about five years before it fell behind.

Are any of your present Marlins model '94s ? If so, you're good to go. Gun must be a pistol caliber.

If you buy a Marlin, you'll always have your investment in addition to a functional firearm. If you buy a Rossi, you'll have neither.

Was that direct enough ?

·
Premium Member
5,018 Posts
Hey again okc-jimbo -- That's a kinda funny story. Started the game with a Winchester 1892 rebored to .357. Ran it a couple years and broke the firing pin. Following Monday ran out and bought a 1894cs to take it's place. Dialed it in and shot it at the following Sunday's match. Saw an 1894 Cowboy Limited at that match and ran out Monday and bought one of those!! Ran that rifle for at least 10 years without a hiccup. Main match gun as well as pistol caliber long range. Probably 20,000 rounds at least. Eventually slid over into a Winchester 1873 with a 24" barrel. Love the looks and feel of the '73, but I was way faster with the box-stock Marlin. If you get the CS you can nip the magazine spring a little and get it to hold ten rounds of .357 length bullets. Can't say for sure on the other calibers. I do think that if it says .357 magnum on the barrel (or.44 mag) then load cartridges to that length, even if they are only a .38 Special or .44 Special power factor. It will save you some grief. Hope this helps. Best regards. Wind

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
August said:
A Rossi was my first SASS gun. I have nothing good to say about it.

A Marlin was my second SASS gun and it got me through about five years before it fell behind.

Are any of your present Marlins model '94s ? If so, you're good to go. Gun must be a pistol caliber.

If you buy a Marlin, you'll always have your investment in addition to a functional firearm. If you buy a Rossi, you'll have neither.

Was that direct enough ?
Quite direct. No more questions. Unfortunately (or not) I have a 336BL, 308MXLR, and an 1895STBL so I'll need to buy another.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I have a Browning 92 in .44 an model 1866 in .44 and 2 of the CB Limited in .44 (Chuckeroo) did an action job on one and I did the other. I'll take the marlins any day. We have another Marlin .44 that my wife shoots in CAS an it just a plain jane that T-Bone slicked up for her and she loves it. It hits light so she has to use Federal primers to bust em every time, but it runs a good as the shooter can run it. We gave $250 bucks for it at the very first cowboy shoot we went to.

·
Registered
130 Posts
SASS rules allow 25-20 for main match rifle. I occassionally use my 1894 cl just for a change of pace. It has been fitted with a full length mag tube and will take 10rds. I get some interesting comments when my brass gets dropped at the unloading table...........

Vic

G

·
Marlin with an octagonal barrel, hands down over any '92 reproduction. I used my CBC in .45 for 6 years of shooting CAS before the factory firing pin broke and so far that is the only mechanical problem I've ever had. If you can shoulder both the CB and the CB II Limited with it's longer barrel to see which one you like better then do so. The 24 inch barrels are no longer made but everything else id the same, plus I think the longer barrels are just cool.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The 1894 CB's seem impossible to find in 357. 44's seem more common, but the ammo costs a bit more. Maybe I'll go with the Beretta 1873 Renegade...

·
Registered
124 Posts
okc-jimbo said:
The 1894 CB's seem impossible to find in 357. 44's seem more common, but the ammo costs a bit more. Maybe I'll go with the Beretta 1873 Renegade...
I saw several on Gunbroker this morning, last week, and last month. They're out there.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
if I'm not mistaken the renegade is made by uberti for beretta. If you're looking to go that route look at the cimarrons, uberti,navy arms all of which are made by uberti. thay have some really nice 1873 replicas. The cimarrons have what called the original finish which makes the gun have a petina type finish. Its really nice. I'm in the same position can't decide between an 1873 and an 1894. peobably gonna end up with both in the long run.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
skmarsh77 said:
I'm in the same position can't decide between an 1873 and an 1894. peobably gonna end up with both in the long run.
I'll probably end up with both too. You are right that Uberti makes the Beretta - I think Beretta bought Uberti some time ago. I was impressed with the fit and finish on the Uberti Cimarrons last time I handled one.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
they really are sweet looking guns. I just watched a clip on youtube on the 1894 that hikok did and I think i might start with the marlin. I'm thinking 45 colt is the way I'lll go for mine. The cowboy competition looks really cool but good luck finding one.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
Personally I am not a fan of the Rossi. They feel cheap and loose to me... Get an older Marlin if you can.. Just my 2 cents...

·
Registered
6,671 Posts
Depends on the Rossi. Some are pretty nice and some are just junk. If you can find one of the Navy Arms 1892s that were made by Rossi for Navy Arms about 10 years ago, every one of those that I've seen has been a very nice gun. Good fit and finish with real American Walnut. The one I have in 357 is more accurate than the Marlins I own.

But I've handled and shot some Rossi Pumas that didn't stand a chance of following me home.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have a rossi 92 in .357 and plenty of marlins. while I have been happy with the rossi I wish paid an extra few hundred and bought the marlin.
buy once, cry once.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Rossi Model 92 do not seem to perform or have the quality of Marlin 1894 to me. I shoot two Marilin 1894 cowboys since 2000 in CAS. One feature some forget is the easy of take down of a Marlin. This makes cleaning much easier and faster. Side ejection of Marlin is another plus in MHO. When I purchased my first 1894 Cowboy Limited, money was a little tight, turning down a cheaper rifle and waiting paid off for me in the long run.
BFJ

1 - 20 of 25 Posts