Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own and have refurbished several of both and the only difference I see between them is what's written on the barrel and the price. If there is any other difference, I would like to know it. I have a Glenfield 75 with a different front sight from the rest and different stock with barrel band and shorter magazine, but it is the same internal design and parts interchange.

Last night I bought another 1979 Glenfield 60 that is a nasty mess but I think all it needs is both sights. I already have a front sight. Rear sight may be in my junk. Should clean up nice. Only $70, at least so far.

BTW, the same place has a Marlin 60 with a broken trigger guard and a few missing screws for $100 if anyone near Atlanta is interested. There are plenty of trigger guards on ebay but they are expensive and I go for the cheap restorations.

Thanks for any input or suggestions.

Tom V, Marietta Ga.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I own and have refurbished several of both and the only difference I see between them is what's written on the barrel and the price. If there is any other difference, I would like to know it. I have a Glenfield 75 with a different front sight from the rest and different stock with barrel band and shorter magazine, but it is the same internal design and parts interchange.

Last night I bought another 1979 Glenfield 60 that is a nasty mess but I think all it needs is both sights. I already have a front sight. Rear sight may be in my junk. Should clean up nice. Only $70, at least so far.

BTW, the same place has a Marlin 60 with a broken trigger guard and a few missing screws for $100 if anyone near Atlanta is interested. There are plenty of trigger guards on ebay but they are expensive and I go for the cheap restorations.

Thanks for any input or suggestions.

Tom V, Marietta Ga.
BTW, both the Marlin and Glenfield appear to use birch stocks but I see no difference in quality except for the stamped engraving on the Glenfield.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
I had Marlinitis bad about 10 yrs ago. Ended up with a Revelation, Western Auto, a couple Glenfields and a modern Marlin. One Glenfield looks like a maple stock
All tube semi autos in various degrees of condition too.
I had a ball redo'ing stocks, rebluing, reblacking, some sanding/filing and two Boyds stocks.
One was an unfinished pepper laminate thumbhole, the other a Jacaranda Evolution SS for a 75c. THAT was my favorite!
Hate to shoot then now that ammo is scarce and pricey

·
Super Moderator
17,453 Posts
There are a few Marlin Model 60's out there with Black Walnut stocks with the bullseye in them...

The one below is my Ladies and the one below that is her Glenfield Model 60...

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
Marlin Glenfield Model 75C Semi-Auto Rimfire Rifles: (1975 - 1982)
History:
The Marlin Glenfield model 75C semi-auto rimfire rifle replaced the Glenfield model 75 in 1975 and is better known as a carbine, weighing in at 4 1/2 pounds and features an 18" long barrel with a full length 13 round magazine. This carbine is nearly identical to Marlin's Glenfield model 75 with one major difference being that the length of the magazine tube is longer. The Glenfield model 75C holds 13 rimfire cartridges in its magazine tube which is four more cartridges than that of the Glenfield model 75. Early model 75C rifles have the earlier style front sight and flat barrel band while later model 75C rifles have the later style front sight and the barrel band was omitted.

Note: Compare your rifles serial number with the list below to find out its year of manufacture so that you can properly determine which parts are not only period correct for your rifle but will also fit properly to your rifle as Marlin did make some changes to the parts they did produce for the model 75C rimfire rifle and not all parts are interchangeable between different variations of the same part.
1975 manuf. firearms have been seen with serial #s as low as # 25438525
IMAGE OF EARLY STYLE SIGHT & BARREL BAND ASSEMBLY
1976 manuf. firearms will have a serial # 24000000 or higher 1980 manuf. firearms will have a serial # 20000000 or higher
1977 manuf. firearms will have a serial # 23000000 or higher 1981 manuf. firearms will have a serial # 19000000 or higher
1978 manuf. firearms will have a serial # 22000000 or higher 1982 manuf. firearms will have a serial # 18000000 or higher
1979 manuf. firearms will have a serial # 21000000 or higher

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Marlin Glenfield Model 75C Semi-Auto Rimfire Rifles: (1975 - 1982)
History:
The Marlin Glenfield model 75C semi-auto rimfire rifle replaced the Glenfield model 75 in 1975 and is better known as a carbine, weighing in at 4 1/2 pounds and features an 18" long barrel with a full length 13 round magazine. This carbine is nearly identical to Marlin's Glenfield model 75 with one major difference being that the length of the magazine tube is longer. The Glenfield model 75C holds 13 rimfire cartridges in its magazine tube which is four more cartridges than that of the Glenfield model 75. Early model 75C rifles have the earlier style front sight and flat barrel band while later model 75C rifles have the later style front sight and the barrel band was omitted.

Note: Compare your rifles serial number with the list below to find out its year of manufacture so that you can properly determine which parts are not only period correct for your rifle but will also fit properly to your rifle as Marlin did make some changes to the parts they did produce for the model 75C rimfire rifle and not all parts are interchangeable between different variations of the same part.
1975 manuf. firearms have been seen with serial #s as low as # 25438525
IMAGE OF EARLY STYLE SIGHT & BARREL BAND ASSEMBLY
1976 manuf. firearms will have a serial # 24000000 or higher 1980 manuf. firearms will have a serial # 20000000 or higher
1977 manuf. firearms will have a serial # 23000000 or higher 1981 manuf. firearms will have a serial # 19000000 or higher
1978 manuf. firearms will have a serial # 22000000 or higher 1982 manuf. firearms will have a serial # 18000000 or higher
1979 manuf. firearms will have a serial # 21000000 or higher
Great info, thanks very much. Here is what is interesting. Mine is clearly marked Model 75, no "C", no serial number, and mag band is inside the stock, yet it had the full length tube with a missing inside tube. Doesn't matter now since it is restored with the early short tube. Your post answered a lot of questions. Thanks very much!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a Marlin Mod. 75 C 22 Semi Auto Rifle Manufacrtured in 1977-1981. My issue is that it likes to not chamber the round, and jams.Does anyone have any help for me. I have cleaned the action etc. Thanks, Jim

·
Registered
812 Posts
I have a Marlin Mod. 75 C 22 Semi Auto Rifle Manufacrtured in 1977-1981. My issue is that it likes to not chamber the round, and jams.Does anyone have any help for me. I have cleaned the action etc. Thanks, Jim
Innards on the 75C are pretty much identical to the model 60, if you search for model 60 feed issues, there's a whole bunch of info on the problem. Ejection Spring is the most common issue seen, tends to get bent during reassembly when folks reassemble without opening the bolt. Easy fix on that one, simple adjustment...

If that's not the case, it could be a worn feed throat as well. I'd try the above and go from there. If you subtract the first 2 numbers of your serial number from 100, it will give you the year of manufacture. Marlin 75C would have been manufactured 82 or later, Glenfield 75C was manufactured 74 - 81.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts