Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently got this gun and was trying to do some research on it and havent been having alot of luck, its not even listed in my blue book... Its a Marlin Varmint King in .222 rem and the action is marked sako. The barrell bares the name and etc on one side and stainless steel on the other. The gun is 90% + easy .....Any help here would be great. Thanks

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
Welcome from another bushwhacker in years past. Grew up south west of Springfield 60s and 70s.

These rifles are pretty rare in my experience. I dont recall ever seeing but one or two over the years. Several companies used the SAKO L461 action back in the 50s and 60s to build similar varmint and hunting rifles in the 222 and the 22 Hornet, which is really rare.

I am a SAKO nut, have several, and if one of those marlins ever walked by the table, I would make a hard run at getting it.:biggrin:

Reactions: M1Riflenut

·
Premium Member
883 Posts
The Varmint King is extremely rare, offered 1956-58 with only 354 manufactured (this is the model 422); the more common model 322 had 5859 made from 1954-58. Differences are a raised comb buttstock and 24" featherweight stainless steel barrel. The checkering also differs slightly. Original prices were in the $129-139 range! serial numbers were Sako numbers and not decipherable? by Marlin system. The rifle never took off for Marlin, accuracy in the micro-groove barrel was supposedly quick to fade with limited number of rounds. I have a 422, so "welcome to the club" and shoot straight, gewehr

·
Registered
763 Posts
Long ago I had the 322 version, but now long gone :(! As I recall, it had the old Vixen action (removable clip-fed) and shot like a house afire! Killed many fox and coyotes back when MI had a coyote bounty of $15-$20.

·
Premium Member
14,157 Posts
One sold on Gunbroker not long ago for $799. They had it listed for $999 for some time, but it wasn't until they dropped the price, that it finally sold. So around there for price.
But now if you actually could find 2 people that, first off, know what a Varmint King was, and they both had known about the action, the price would probably had went higher. Maybe closer to the original asking price of $999.

Marlin 322 Varmint King 222 Sako Riihimaki Ex Cond : Bolt Action Rifles at GunBroker.com

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
I didnt figure they were quite that rare, but am not totally surprised either. I honestly cant recall seeing many of the Marlin marked ones. Selling price wise, its probably a WAG. I have seen commercial FN actions with the store brand names go for a couple hundred bucks, while a similar FN with a Browning marked barrel several times the price.

Around here, SAKO Vixens generally sell for around the 7 range from the asking price of maybe 9, The Rihimakis are not as desirable, as the magazine is rarely original and one can find a Jeff Cooper Bren 10 pistol magazine about as often as finding a SAKO 222 magazine.

I paid 450 for that SAKO "Rihi" J C Higgins a couple weeks back, but it had been rode hard and put away wet once or twice, But I could have made a hundred bucks an hour later had I wished to sell it.

The trouble with "rare" guns is that often they are so rare, only a few know what they are, yours is a perfect example. thus the price is often lower than one might wish or imagine.

One buddy quips on some of his stuff, "only thing rarer than that gun, is someone that wants to buy it"

·
Premium Member
883 Posts
what the others have stated; obviously you thought the value that you paid was fair? without pictures it is very difficult to judge - your "90 percent" may not reflect thinking of others. The rifle could range from 400-1000 depending on your audience and desire for collecting vs hunting! Sights, sling, wood grade, bore, etc all make a difference - to sell here you need 25 posts and must state your asking price; negotiating is thru the PM system. good luck! gewehr

·
Registered
2 Posts
Apologies to being a late comer to this thread on the 422, but i just got my hands on one and i have a couple of questions. 1) It was missing the white spacers which i have restored, but I'm pretty sure the Marlin butt plate is not original. The plate measures 4.75" which appears to be about 1/8" too long. Does anyone have the correct size to look for off Numrich Gun Parts? and 2) the front sight is missing. The screws appear to be 0.700" on center. I read in another thread this is the same as the Marlin 57 or 62? Is this true for an acceptable replacement part? Otherwise the gun is in excellent shape!

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
Apologies to being a late comer to this thread on the 422, but i just got my hands on one and i have a couple of questions. 1) It was missing the white spacers which i have restored, but I'm pretty sure the Marlin butt plate is not original. The plate measures 4.75" which appears to be about 1/8" too long. Does anyone have the correct size to look for off Numrich Gun Parts? and 2) the front sight is missing. The screws appear to be 0.700" on center. I read in another thread this is the same as the Marlin 57 or 62? Is this true for an acceptable replacement part? Otherwise the gun is in excellent shape!
The buttplates can vary a fair amount, as stocks were final shaped with the buttplates in place. So even the correct plate might not fit without some sanding or file work. You can check Vintage Grips to see if they have a closer match though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts