Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,129 Posts
aux,

Welcome to the forum................

Re: Trigger weight,...............Measure it.

The model and caliber have nothing to do with trigger weight...........The hammers, sears and associated parts are the same across the Marlin Lever product line.

I'd guess it is around a gritty 6 lbs, and can be finessed down to a very comfortable smooth 3 - 3.5 lbs by a good gunsmith using the existing OEM parts...........

Tom

·
Administrator
23,825 Posts
Tie a string around the trigger, other end to a plastic grocery bag. Add any kind of wgts until the hammer drops. Weigh the contents and bag on a digital bathroom scale.

·
Super Moderator
3,009 Posts
Some of the new Marlins are known for having crappy trigger pulls due to not being cleaned up well during assembly. Take it apart and give everything a good cleaning, flush out any shavings or grit, lube it and see if it helps. You can also do a trigger job but if your not familiar with that type of work I would suggest taking it to a gunsmith that can do it. Or get an aftermarket trigger but those are a bit pricey IMHO.

·
Registered
856 Posts
I just don’t worry much about a heavy trigger on a levergun. All my Marlins are older JM’s which are pretty smooth from the get go, IMHO. Now my bolt guns operate on a different standard as I expect to be able to carry a decent group beyond 100 yds. And if I needed precision at super long range, THEN the trigger becomes the heartbeat of the rifle.

Now, a crappy, gritty pull is unacceptable and can be cleaned up with a little careful work.

Reactions: vt4ster

·
Premium Member
4,459 Posts
First of all in case you did not know this our illustrious MO buddy TOMRAY was the Manufacturing Engineer for MARLIN - AND I MEAN THE REAL MARLIN IN CONNECTICUT!! Secondly our esteemed SWANY knows more about MARLINS than almost anyone on the planet . . so pay heed to what THEY SAY . . .

Now then - to get back to the OP's initial topic: almost every Marlin I have ever owned ( and I have had plenty) had a measured factory trigger pull in excess of 7 pounds - one nearly 9 pounds. HAPPY TRIGGERS and the like will cost you more than $100. A GUNSMITH will probably cost you that much or more. I have set up every one of my Marlins with around a 3 pound trigger pull. I am not a hunter and have most my bench/range guns set to as little as 1 pound trigger pull. I made one Marlin .30-30 less than 2 pounds but the HAMMER/BUMP TEST would sometimes make that fire - not a good thing.... Me and most others would not recommend anything less than a SAFE 3 pounds to ensure you do not get an accidental fire from dropping a loaded gun or hitting a big bump in your hunting vehicle. No matter what or who does a trigger job make sure if you wack a cocked rifle on the butt with a good heavy rubber mallet it does not CLICK!!

If you are a very competent mechanical person you can do this trigger job yourself as many of us have done successfully - - AND SAFELY . . .

There are several articles in our REFERENCE section including one by me on the TRIGGER SEAR . . .

By the way the cost of Marlin trigger sear which is the one main part you need to work on is about $13. A DROP IN WILD WEST HAPPY TRIGGER is $120 . . . .

·
Administrator
23,825 Posts
Just so you know, I used the above bag n scale method for years. On a whim in a large sports center I bought a trigger pull gage. Then bless my brother who passed I wound with another.

I don't believe I own any firearm with a stock trigger, with the exception of my Daisy Red Ryder BB guns.

I do advocate a light pull for better accuracy.

·
Banned
345 Posts
Checking the (2016) 336SS 30-30, the average pull is 7lbs. 14oz, using a Lyman pull gauge. The pull on the 1953 Winchester 94' is 7lbs. 13 oz.

While at it, I checked my Henry 45/70 at 5lb, 10 oz. and the Marlin 1895 CBA (2016) came in at 8lb. 8.5 oz.

As to myself, I haven't been much bothered by the heavier trigger pull on these lever rifles. I can't say whether I'll ever lighten them up. I built three AR-15s where I paid attention to lighter triggers, and installed Geissele triggers in them. Working on a fourth, now, after not having done much with black rifles for the last two +years.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.