Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got home a hour or so ago from work, seen the missus off to her job, and just got on MO. My pup was raisin cain out in his pen, then the wife's little lap dog (dust mop!) started yappin and went outside. Looked out the window and seen a flash of brown in the yard so I got my 1894C and thumbed in a few rounds. Snuck out the back door and the dust mop was givin a coyote fits, yappin her guts out at it. About the time I was linin up the sights on the wolf the sissy dog broke and run for the house. A dozen jumps or less and the wolf had caught breakfast! Only choice I had was to shoot in amongst em and hope for the best. Dropped the wolf and she dropped the sissy dog. Don't know how bad she's hurt, but the missus came back and is on her way to the vet with her. I'm thinkin it's time to officially declare war on the song dogs! :mad:

·
Premium Member
5,222 Posts
Get out that camera and snap us a shot will ya? Definitely a common enough thing to see happen around here. Good shooting!

·
Registered
20,300 Posts
Good for you but ...we need pics!

·
Registered
6,670 Posts
Good shooting! I get worried about our Minature Pinschers when I take them out at night. Night before last there were some 'yotes raising Cain about a half mile from the house and the little dogs went into a bark-a-thon at them.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Coyote lay down, go nite-nite, permanently! Good shooting and glad the dust mop will be okay. Take care, John.

·
Premium Member
761 Posts
Glad you thought to take your rifle with you. :)

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
In our fair city, there is a really nice neighborhood that backs up to the wilds associated with a branch of the Trinity River. My dentist and a couple of friends live there. They can't keep small dogs because coyotes eat them. Doc says they ran through four in about five years. City ordinance says no shooting! Rover has to go out sometimes, but if he leaves the tightly fenced yards, he is also breakfast. Seems like silenced .22s are in order? Good luck, Jack

·
Premium Member
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got home this morning and her lil dust mop/lap dog had passed during the night. I'll take the tractor after while and bury her. The Missus said I need to hang that #%**&@! wolf/coyote on the fence so the rest of them mangy SOB's can see what's afixin to happen to them. :eek: She's usually such a sweet lil woman. ;D She posted on facebook that she never paid much attention to my guns, but thinks it is time to learn and get ready to do battle with the vermin. Sounds like we may be lookin for a special Marlin "just for her". (uh, yeah, just for her. heh heh)

I'd like to oblige you fellars with pichers, but it's all I can do to take a picher, ain't got no idea how to post one. I need to get one of the kids or grandkidlets to show me how I reckon. Bein a hillbilly does have it's drawbacks.

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
Sorry to hear that. Also understand your posting of pictures dilema. Good Shooting, Jack

·
Registered
9,496 Posts
Sorry to hear about your little dog Mate.

Mark.

·
Registered
6,670 Posts
I'm sorry to hear that the dog didn't make it.

As for a Marlin for the Mrs, my wife has three guns that she won't part with. A 16ga Rem 1100 Deluxe that her dad gave her, a 1894C that she bought off my cousin and a Ruger Mk II Target that she adopted out of my collection. She's he!! on wheels with all three and the varmints around here don't stand much of a chance.

·
Registered
701 Posts
jack therwhanger said:
..................City ordinance says no shooting!.......Seems like silenced .22s are in order? Good luck, Jack
CCI brand 22 LR CB caps work through the action on repeating 22s...just don"t have enough power to work the action. BUT you make more noise clapping your hands together. No silencers required...just discretion that you don't get observed.

There's a den of coyotes down hill from the house for years. The lab/shepherd cross likes to jump the fence on occasion and run the neighborhood, but avoids "the cousins" like the plague.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
So sorry to hear about your pup Jack,..tell your missus from all of us that we send our condolences...I lived in Parker Texas just east of Plano and also had the same no shooting ordnance...we had a don't ask don't tell policy with our neighbors as they hated the maurauders just as much as we did

·
Premium Member
1,169 Posts
Sorry to hear about your dog. A good friend of mine almost lost one the same way, 'yotes in the yard in the dark got the dog fired up to go out, owner let him out, and it was nearly curtains.
My ex wasn't at all big on guns til I taught her to shoot dogs bothering her goats. She seriously loved her hi power BB gun after that. Get yours an auto .22, maybe, nothing to do but pull the trigger over and over.

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
I am sorry for your loss .. yep a 22mag minimum or good 30-30 would fill the need red dot site.. no playing needed

·
Premium Member
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ain't been able to get on the last few nights because of the storms around here. Had a stray pup show up here a couple weeks before this happened. Friendly little cuss and was gettin attached to him pretty quick.............now he's gone too. Don't know if somebody picked him up, or if another coyote got him. We just ain't havin no good luck with dogs, and I'm fixin to pass the bad luck on to the coyotes. Durn varmints!!

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
It would be a great thing to rescue a nice pup from the pound as it seems you and your wife have a lotta love to give to another furry friend....then go out and give them dang Yotes incurable lead poisoning!!

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
The comment regarding CB longs is right on... No, it won't blast a coyote like 22-250, but soft tissue hit behind the shoulder in the heart-lung area will make it die inside of 24 hours, a belly shot will take a bit longer. A side benefit is you don't have to haul off the corpse.
smaller critter like armadillos squirrels and rabbits, the CB long is GREAT!
Plenty powerful enough to penetrate two layers of tough steel corregated barn siding at rat range...
In a ruger pistol with adjusted feed lips, they feed fine, but don't work the action. Louder than a Rifle.
In a rifle, they make about the same noise as a BB gun... the bullet slap at impact is louder than the muzzle blast.
Through a supressor, it's no louder than a snap of your finger.
With discretion and care, you can shoot just about anytime, just about anywhere, taking vermin or dinner.

·
Premium Member
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have used the CB 22's a few times and they do a pretty good job. But I'm outside the city limits so I wasn't worried about the noise, probably wouldn't have been anyway. The neighbors that have been around a while don't seem to pay much attention anymore to "that crazy Harley guy over there" shooting. ;D Don't know if the coyotes got the other pup or not, we were both gone when he disappeared, but I have declared open season anyway.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts