Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was on the shooters forum today and 1x2 was talking about his Marlin 94 with a 24 " octagon barreled gun slugging out to 432.
This was according to him the new samm. Spec.

Well during the war I think it was alright to have a bore that was oversized and this machinery was still being used in the fifties. I know some 303 Savage did not shoot too well since they were over bored and should maybe be fed lead bullets of 311.
I knew understood why the 45 colt had throats that were not standard and hand guns that would not shoot needed the forcing cones opened up.
I DO NOT understand why a person needs to slug a 3855 to find out what bullet he need to shoot.
Why are some 336/35 Micro groved slugged to 360?
Now with new machinery coming on board , where we can machine parts to fit with in .0001 ir even greater there is no excuse to have rifle bores that are over two to three thou over bored . Why do we need to slug out a barrel to find that we need lead only bullets that are over and have die's etc made for us . If this is going to contine , then I say we need the barrel stamped with the bore size so we can determine if we can accept rhe bore or spend a season on trying to find something that will shoot in the darn thing .
Well my guide is stamped 45/70 and I still have yet to find a sweet spot . I think now that I wil save a pile of grief and slug the barrel. Maybe I have a 46/70 here.If that is so , I am getting in contact with Marlin . If the y say it is with in their toleraces , I am going to put a stop to the 1894 CB comp. that is going to cost us 1100.00 plus15% tax.
That say thee? Check out the shooter s forum from beartooth.
Slug out that rifle of yours . It might not be you or your loads.
Garn snappet. :x
Happy

·
Registered
243 Posts
Your right. Marlin should be able to do a better job on their bore specs. I haven't slugged my 35 Rem barrel yet but I took the advice from a buddy who has both a 1895 in 45-70 and a 336 in 35 Rem. He gave me some cast bullets sized to .360. They work great. I would guess my bore is not .358.

For his 45-70, he ended up having Lee take an existing mold and enlarge the cavity so it would cast .460 with wheel weights for his 45-70. Otherwise, the cast bullet he initially started shooting wouldn't stabilize and sometimes tumble.

Good luck with your quest with Marlin.

h

·
Registered
496 Posts
Hi Guys

Let just say that lead bullets are a different world than jacketed bullets. You are just going to have to experiment to see what your rifle likes best. Take the .45-70 as an example. The standard bore size is .458 and I'am sure Marlin is within .0005" of this. Now your rifle might like bullets .458" in diameter or maybe .459" and sometimes .460". Hard and soft bullets along with bullet speed will make a difference. As you can see there are a lot of variables. It seems that the majority of rifles chambered in the .30-30 caliber shoot better if the bullet has a gas check. Parley

G

·
Thanks for helping hunt for solutions, Happy.

The bore slugged perfectly at .431", although a subsequent sinker into the muzzle only and right back out I could only get to measure .4305", a kind of a physical impossibility...since the first one was driven muzzle to breech.

The "recovered" sinkers looked good, too- smooth, nice even groove cuts, no gouges or "snake lines", and the pressure required to drive it through to the throat was fairly constant.

The issue is:

The theory that one should shoot .001" over when selecting hc lead bullets would have a hard time being fulfilled, as only Beartooth (bless their hearts) that I know of produces a .432" bullet, and it's gas-checked. So I wondered what others are doing about it, since the .431" spec's been in play for some time.

Just before the old MT shut down I read a thread from someone asking where he could get .432"s, I see now why he didn't get a ton of answers.

Thanks,

1x2

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
I'm guessing your gun is a .44 mag, and not a .44-40 model 1894?
If so, you are correct in what you heard about the SAMMI specs.
In addition, SAMMI specs for the .44-40 have also been "opened up", as they allow bores in the .44 mag range of .429-.430 for .44-40, so expect these guns to run a bit large also. Most of the newer ones that I have slugged are on the large side.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
marlinman93 said:
I'm guessing your gun is a .44 mag, and not a .44-40 model 1894?
If so, you are correct in what you heard about the SAMMI specs.
In addition, SAMMI specs for the .44-40 have also been "opened up", as they allow bores in the .44 mag range of .429-.430 for .44-40, so expect these guns to run a bit large also. Most of the newer ones that I have slugged are on the large side.
Where does the 45 colt place? I like something that will slug to bullet size, and may now rid my self of the 44 Mag. Hog Hamlet!
Happy

G

·
Thanks, Marlinman- I have a .44mag.

The .44-40 is opened up now? Terrific- they'll run .427 - .430. It will make bullets easier to find, though.

Say, Marlinman, I have an 1875 C. Sharps Arms in .22 rimfire that I'd like to have rebarreled and a new firing pin/transfer bar made to change it to centerfire....yes, to .44mag. I think I could get a barrelmaker to come up with a bore of .430". I'm starting my research- any ideas?

Happy, I haven't heard anything about the .45colt changing...perhaps it's sacred due to its heritage. :)

1x

G

·
1x2 said:
Thanks, Marlinman- I have a .44mag.

The .44-40 is opened up now? Terrific- they'll run .427 - .430. It will make bullets easier to find, though.

Say, Marlinman, I have an 1875 C. Sharps Arms in .22 rimfire that I'd like to have rebarreled and a new firing pin/transfer bar made to change it to centerfire....yes, to .44mag. I think I could get a barrelmaker to come up with a bore of .430". I'm starting my research- any ideas?

Happy, I haven't heard anything about the .45colt changing...perhaps it's sacred due to its heritage. :)

1x
Now it would be quck to ream a 44/40 barel for the 44 Mag.
Happ :lol:

·
Registered
6,670 Posts
My Marlin 1894D in 44-40 was in the last production run that Marlin did for 44-40 in 2000 (One of Davidson's CCL guns in a run of 325). It slugged out to .4285". I've been using bullets designed for the 44 Special/Magnum for it all along in both cast and jacketed.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
44-40 Willy said:
My Marlin 1894D in 44-40 was in the last production run that Marlin did for 44-40 in 2000 (One of Davidson's CCL guns in a run of 325). It slugged out to .4285". I've been using bullets designed for the 44 Special/Magnum for it all along in both cast and jacketed.
:D I would be happy with that gun willy.

Happy

·
Registered
6,670 Posts
Happy said:
:D I would be happy with that gun willy.

Happy
It's the one gun I have that I'm keeping no matter what. It's the best shooter I've ever owned and gets regular use.

G

·
Willy,

You like the .44-40 better than the Navy Arms you use for deer?

YeeHaa, you have some good shooters!

:D

1x2

It slugged out to .4285". I've been using bullets designed for the 44 Special/Magnum for it all along in both cast and jacketed
Figures....Well, I'm glad some of us are getting a kick out of it! :D

·
Registered
629 Posts
I have also had a few problems in this area.
I have a 336 Zane Grey Comm. that is supposed to be a .30-30. Before slugging the barrel I tried some 165gr. .309 pills and got dismal results and alot of leading. It slugged .3105. The only reasonably priced lead bullets I could find the right size were .312 115gr. They expanded the case neck to the point where I had to force the lever closed. I didn't fire any by the way. I sized them down to .311 and they worked fine.
Marlin is not the only company to screw up on thier rifling though. I have a .32 h&r bhg Ruger that had 1 groove .004 deeper than the rest. I noticed fairly heavy leading after just 20 rounds. I slugged it to find the problem. I sent it back to Ruger and just over a month later I recieved a new gun. No charge to me and they reimbursed my shipping.
Now the first thing I do with a new gun is slug the barrel. It sure does stop a lot of headaches. I understand that they are manmade, so they are not going to be perfect. I may have screwed up at work before my self.

C.S.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Happ :lol:[/quote]

I hate to burst someone's bubble, but the head diameter of the 44-40 is .471, while the 44 Mag is .454. In order to use 44-40 barrel, it would be necessary to cut 1.55 inches from the chamber area, and then chamber for the .44 Mag, Rethread the barrel and install it aligning the dovetails up in their proper orientation. It would be nice if Guests' idea would work tho.

Lee L.

·
Registered
315 Posts
M1894 said:
I hate to burst someone's bubble, but the head diameter of the 44-40 is .471, while the 44 Mag is .454. In order to use 44-40 barrel, it would be necessary to cut 1.55 inches from the chamber area, and then chamber for the .44 Mag, Rethread the barrel and install it aligning the dovetails up in their proper orientation. It would be nice if Guests' idea would work tho.

Lee L.[/quote]

Not suitable for the a 44Mag,,,,,,but ideal for a 444Marlin,,, {;o), or cut down some 444 cases and have a 44Mag+.
Cheers,
R*2

·
Registered
315 Posts
M1894 said:

Lee L.[/quote]

Not suitable for the a 44Mag,,,,,,but ideal for a 444Marlin,,, {;o), or cut down some 444 cases and have a 44Mag+.
Cheers,
R*2

1 - 16 of 16 Posts