Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gentlemen,
Aside from the shorter barrel and straight grip, are there any other differences between a 39A and a 39 TDS? Maybe a shorter LOP and slimmer wood?

I guess what I'm really asking is could you take an older 39A and make a 39 TDS out of it? Isn't the action exactly the same?

LT

·
Registered
180 Posts
Yes you can and it has been done. The action is the same as is the LOP. Unfortunately, the parts needed to do it have gotten hard to come by. To do a full pistol grip TDS conversion when its all said and done, you'll only really be reusing the left half of your 39A receiver and the action parts minus the lever.

To turn a standard 39A into a "TDS" you will need the 16-3/4" barrel, the TDS inner magazine tube and outer mag tube and the 7-1/4" TDS forearm. Numrich has the outer mag tube in stock for $28.10, the forearm for $27.85, everything else is sold out.

If you wanted to go "all the way" you would also need to convert the pistol grip butt stock to a straight grip. For that you will need a straight grip "tang" which is actually the right half of the receiver, butt stock, square lever, and folding leaf rear site (if yours doesn't have one.). Numrich has the square lever and folding leaf rear site in stock. I bought them for my 39M project rifle a couple of months ago. The lever is $34.80 and the site $21.40. The butt stock is sold out but, they come up on eBay every couple of weeks, any straight stock 336/1894/1895 checkered butt stock would do if you aren't picky about having the correct butt pad. You will need to fit it most likely. Numrich doesn't list the Tang at all but, straight stock 39 Mountie, 39M, 39D, and etc tangs come up on gunbroker every so often, just be ready to bid high.

In fact all of the parts periodically come up on gunbroker but, for the prices asked you'd be better off holding out and just buying a real TDS. The last barrel and forearm I saw had a ludicrously high reserve.

Your other option is having the existing 39A barrel and magazine cut down to TDS length, I would guesstimate a smith would charge $250.00 or more to do it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts