Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Way back on MarlinTalk, I mentioned having seen a Marlin 336, sold by Sears as a Model 45.

I revisited the pawnshop and bought the rifle (<$200 out-the-door, including a Tasco 4x32 scope). It's a pretty old rifle; obviously, it pre-dates the crossbolt safety. The serial number starts with "Z," which means it was made in 1964 (if the Sears rifles used the same serial numbering system).

The stock is a nice walnut, and is the actual slimmer 336 stock, not the chunky Glenfield/Marlin Model 30 cut.

A very thorough cleaning, some serious elbow grease on the wood, and the rifle looks pretty nice--the walnut has taken on a nice gloss and the blue is a deep color. True, there's a little surface freckling, and the previous owner scratched some kind of number on the left side of the receiver, but I don't care.

I hope it's happy in its new home!

·
Registered
431 Posts
that's the sort of rifle that would be a great candidate for some heavy customizing. For instance it would make a great 30-30AI.

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts
It will know it is wanted and shoot great, I am glad you found it.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Nice find! And I lke 35hunter's idea too.

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
Congratulations. You have a very fine rifle there. Real walnut can be hidden by years of neglect but as you see comes out with a bit of work.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Moose Maximus, congrats on snagging that Sears model 45 AKA Marlin 336. Sure is nice to put a little effort into something and having it turn out very nice. Take care, John.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Nice find!
As for the surface freckling, my Texan had some too but a little 0000 steel wool and WD40 cleaned it all off. Amazing.
LarryO

·
Registered
9,156 Posts
To the OP, congrats on saving a Marlin, sounds like she talked to you and you responded well. Take good care of her and she will serve you the rest of your life, and your grand children's. DP

·
Registered
9,156 Posts
Reactions: Oberhaz

·
Super Moderator
5,451 Posts
I love shooters...character marks and all

·
Registered
105 Posts
I really like the model 45's. got one in 35 Rem.

That's a nice looking rifle. I'm trying to make up my mind when I find a good used real Marlin if I want the .30-30 or the .35. Just for bullet cost and availability I'm thinking of staying with the .30-30.
You guys see this original post is from 04 right? Somebody bumped it from the graveyard. lol

·
Registered
9,156 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts