Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys&Gals,
What do you think of the Marlin #512,12ga.Slug Gun. What are they worth in your area?Rifles or Smooth Bore?

:lol: 8) :D :lol:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
GUESS NOBODY USSES OR LIKES THEM IN ANY AREAS>>>>>>>>>>>>
:lol: :eek: :D :lol: :D :lol: :D

G

·
:lol: Till I got my 4570 all I used were slugs! I gust never had a slug gun, My son got a slug bl for his pump 12g it works fine. I'm just useto my old marlin,it shoots 1 1/4 oz slugs as good as any rifle I have. I'v taken game out to 150yds,and eeven taken runing antelope(close) :oops:

·
Registered
32 Posts
I live in Illinois, which only allows us to hunt deer with a handgun of certain calibers, slugs or a muzzle-loader. I have a Remington 870 Express Combo with the smooth bore slug barrel that I used for all my hunting in Illinois.

About 10 years ago, I wanted more accuracy than my 870 could deliver, but I was on a budget. I had been thinking of getting a Tar-Hunt, but that was way out of my price range. One day while in Wal-Mart I found the Marlin 512 with a fully rifled barrel for about $240 if I remember right. I had read about them and figured for that price I could sell it if I didn't like it and still come out OK.

The 512 was very accurate. I mounted a Tasco 1.5 power slug scope on mine. It likes Brenneke golden slugs, (the ones for rifled barrels), the best. I have it set dead on at 125 yards, which I feel gives me acceptable accuracy for a dead on hold out to about 150. This gun will print a very tight group at 100 yards. About 2 inches high and the holes are touching. Now this is off a sandbag rest on a heavy shooting table. Out to 150 or 160 yards the Brenneke's still have acceptable hunting accuracy, which in my opinion is within a 6 inch circle.

The trigger is not a rifle trigger, but better than most shotguns. I never felt the need to have it worked on. The gun is reliable, simple to strip down and clean, and as I said, accurate.

The down side of the 512 is that it is huge! Take a look at any bolt-action rifle, then imagine it on steroids. The Marlin is bigger in every direction. The pistol grip on the stock is thick. I have large hands and find it difficult to grasp the gun to shoot, especially when I have gloves on. It is a heavy gun to carry around all day. The biggest drawback is that the 2 shot clip magazined juts out of the bottom of the stock right at the balance point. This makes the gun almost impossible to carry one-handed unless you take the clip out. Definitely get a sling if you will be walking around with this gun very much.

However, with all that being said, I would recommend buying the gun if you want excellent accuracy and are on a budget. The problems I described are capable of being dealt with. You just get used to the gun and you don't think about the negatives.

It is a utilitarian tool that does delivers force at a distance very economically and very accurately. However, if you are the type who enjoys having a fine firearm, you probably won't be happy with it. As I said, it's large, it's bulky, it's ugly. But it's also tough and will do the job.

I recently bought a rifled slug barrel for my 870. If I plan to spend the day in a tree stand and anticipate long, open shots over corn or bean fields the Marlin is the weapon of choice. If I'm going to be still-hunting or driving, I take the 870. Both guns cost me less than $600, and they get the job done.

I have not seen any new or used 512's for sale in my area. I figured used ones aren't for sale because the people that bought them, like them. And as far as new ones, I don't see them any more either. I think with the addition of slug and turkey guns as per Remington, Winchester, Mossberg, etc., that the Marlin has more competition for sales in my area now than it did 10 years ago. Most of the deer hunters I know have upgraded their slug barrels and not gone toward having a specialized slug gun such as the Marlin 512.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi #77 & guest,

#77-Sounds like you have tried the Marlin 512 and used it alot. Thanks for your words of wisdom towards the 512. This is what I'm probably going for . I might even try to get rid of some of the wood if theres so much extra.Thanks again,
:D :) :eek: 8) :lol: :D

·
Registered
422 Posts
I bought a barely used 512 wood stock model a last year and took two deer with it, one shot each. One was at about 20 yards, the other about 80. Dropped like a brick when hit!

I found Remington 2 3/4" Copper solids shoot best for me. Three inch shells shoot okay but often stick in the chamber after firing due to their length and expansion. The extractor is a little weak on the 512 for 3" shells.

I average about a 2" group at 100 yards with the Remington Copper solids and zero it for that range. I use a 2X7 Nikon Pro-staff shotgun scope on it.

It is a big chunky rifle but shoots great. I stand hunt alot so the weight is not a problem.

I paid $185 used here in PA and have seen others from about $175 to $225. I'd buy one. There was one in GunList advertised as new in the box for $200. Don't know if it sold or not. Phone number was 201-991-2291 for the seller.

I think it's a great slug gun.

G

·
There's a new in the box 512 with hardwood stock at one of the dealers in my area $325 :!: I've considered getting it just cause they don't make them anymore 8) But haven't so far. Used to work with a guy that had one he hunted with and he seemed to like it :D

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 512 shoots the cheapest Winchester sabots very well. One hole groups at 50 yds. I tried Hornady H2K slugs and they were terrible. Nothing you could call a group at 50. I have a 1.5-4.5x Bushnell Banner dusk to dawn scope, on it and it's a good rig.

Like others have said this gun is not pretty, nor is it handy. But for stand hunting it is great.

G

·
I've had thrre slug guns in my life so far . The first an 870 rifled with the Cantilever scope mount ( didn't really like) ,the second is the Savage 210 which I like and still have and the third was a Browning A-Bolt which I loved but sold to finance another gun :( :!: But I have heard the 512 and the H&R Ultra are very accurate :!: As far as slugs go I like the Winchester Supreme 2.75" that has the Nosler slug and I like the Federal 2.75" with the Barnes Expander slug :D Those two slugs shot well in the Savage and Browning :!:

·
Registered
422 Posts
Been using a 512 for a while now in the special regs (shotgun only)area of SE PA. It's a real One-Hitter! One hit and the deer goes down! Mine loves Remington Copper Solids and shoots about 2" at 100 yards off the bench. The 2 3/4 inch shells work the best. Sometimes the 3 inch shells stick in the chamber when trying to extract. It is rather large and heavy but is deadly accurate and not a problem if you hunt from a stand, blind, or stationary position most of the time. Shoulders like a rifle rather than a shotgun. I put a Nikon 2-7 Prostaff on mine. The Prostaff scopes are really a good buy for the money too.

Around here, they are found occasionally at about $200-$225 used in good shape.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts