Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I just called Marlin about my 336A. Apparently rifles are like milk and when you get to a point they just go bad. I was told by the phone lady that my gun is too old "we don't work on them that old." The service period has ended. I believe she told me they would not take it in for any reason. Which to me means rebluing etc. When I pressed her why since all the parts looked interchangeable with my new 336's she transfered me to someone else.

So at this point I'm not seeing all that Great Marlin Service. Her attitude was "your gun was made in 1947 it is too old." My biggest disappointment with that was this when I could afford it I wanted Marlin to reblue this gun for me. Another disapointment is how wrong headed this is. One reason I own more than one Marlin is because this gun made when ever E424# shoots several loads into <3/4" at 50yds /open sights.

The up side to all this I was having a 'problem' with protruding spent primers. I eventually cut a shim stack that was .022 thick and was able to close the action with this on a case head. Talking to the guy the phone lady transferred me to asked if I had an ffl. I do not he said OK find an FFL gunsmith and have him order you a locking bolt and that will take care of it. So I am over joyed that I can replace a part that comes out so easily and cure my troubles. Disappointed that Marlin won't work on my gun. I was really hoping to have them do the reblue.

Someone asked me to post a follow up how Marlin helped me with a possible head space problem. So there it is.

Brian

·
Registered
18 Posts
Sorry to hear your problem,but I would apply a little logic to the situation.I bet this lady has not been working for Marlin long even if she has,her boss needs to hear about your experience talking with her.

You need to call them back on Monday and ask to talk to the SERVICE DEPT.MANAGER(The Boss) and tell him what you printed here.

The problem with posts like this is WE CAN'T HELP YOU!!! Marlin does not read this forum and I doubt they really care about what is said here.The best bet is to try to get someone more competent at Marlin to help you again..

I doubt that a 1947 Marlin is too old for a reblue job(if your paying).If it is a m336 (not the square bolt m36) they should have no problem doing it.

A stock refinish would be a bit tougher,as they use a different finish now.

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
I don't think her answer would be any different, regardless of how long she has worked there. They have policies about not working on guns that are no longer in production, and they have had the policy for a lot of years. Because your gun is pre-crossbolt safety, it is no longer in production.
Sure it still looks like the newer guns, and most of the parts interchange, but if it needs some part that isn't in their inventory, they would have to send somehwere else for it, and they just don't want the hassle. They'd rather sell new guns, than work on old ones. I wish it wasn't so, but it is.
There are numerous gunsmiths around the country who can do factory type bluing, and refinishing, and would probably be a cheap as Marlin. Pick up the yellow pages, and give your local gunsmith a call. I'm sure you'll find someone capable, and happy to get your business!

·
Premium Member
12,094 Posts
They worked on mine from 55 although that may have changed. My smith sent it to them & They rebarreled it & replaced the hammer lever & trigger. I didnt have it refinished by them but I thought it was a service they offered.
I got a locking bolt from Numrich for a 336 & it wasn't quite the same. Looked the same but it was a bit too thn. That might be why they wont work on the actions. If you want to try it in your gun E-mail me or shoot me a PM & I'll mail it to you, I got no use for it.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Bman I have never taken a older rifle back for repair. I am sorry if I mislead you.
You realy got your gun to close with .022" extra on the rim !! wow !!
I wonder how he knew that just a locking bolt will fix it ? I would gess they have seen it before. Can you see anything that looks bad on your old locking bolt ?
Now that I think of it I don't think Smith & Weson will repair older models.
I think marlinman93 Is right , they have to have a cut off date or they would be repairing single shot ballards. Heck I wish they would make new ones. I would take any caliber. And be happy!!!!
Well Bman good luck and let know how you make out..
>>Tombstone

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Tombstone,
I need to pull down my other 336 and compare the two. There is avery small amount of wear on the locking bolt where it locks up in the bolt. When I hold the two parts together out side of the rifle there is a good bit of slop but that does not account for the mortises and bores they ride on in the action. This wear is very slight but I'm sure on a cam surface it wouldn't take much to cause a problem.

To measure my headspace I used some ones idea about shim stock. I had an old feeler gauge. I cut two case head sized discs from a .011 feeler gauge. just enouhg bullet lube to keep them in place EDIT on an unprimed case EDIT as I closed the action and yes it closed up pretty easy. As in like chambering a normal round. Anyway I'll do what the Service guy said and see. My biggest concern in sending it back was, they would do a bunch of work and it wouldn't shoot quite as well. I can match accuracy wise some scoped rifles with this one and it's open sights.

Thanks all.

B.

·
Registered
50 Posts
If you need a new Marlin 336 Locking Bolt just order it from Gun Parts Corp. as they do not require the FFL involvement. The Mfg. # is 101081 and the Item # is 407390. the listed price is $15.80.

·
Registered
137 Posts
About two years ago, Marlin gladly reblued my 1953 model 336SC. I'll bet the lady you spoke with misunderstood you and is full of prunes.

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
If you can try a locking bolt, before buying one, I'd sure do that first. I don't know how the guy on the phone diagnosed this as the problem, sight unseen. It could just as easily be the breechbolt rather than the locking bolt.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I received and installed a locking bolt from Leverdude today! Ken seriously check is going in the mail tomorrow. Anyway it cleared up most but not all of my problem. My gunsmith was telling me that usually a locking bolt will fix it like the guy from Marlin said. Gunsmith told me to start with the locking bolt then move to the breech bolt. If that doesn't get it we will have to set the barrel back one thread, recut the chamber and shorten the mag tube a touch. Reckon I need to hunt down a breechbolt. I have seen them on ebay and I guess Numrich will have them also.

Again thanks for all the input and I will update as things change.

B.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Somebody please explain to me why rebluing ANYTHING would be a problem ??
That sure sounded fishy to me.
Ranger

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
RR I was told that they did not take out of production models in for anything. But I was asking about repair I did mention blueing also, but in line with being reaired. As in I wnated you to reblue it while you had it. I did not ask point blank about bluing a gun from 1948. I just couldn't get past a 336 being an out of production model. Anyway most likely a lack of communication problem. One day I'll get it reblued hopefully my loca smith won't have retired by then.

B.

G

·
Sounds like the same lady I spoke to about my 336C .35 last week. What I really wanted was to talk to somebody there for a minute, and I did ask her if there was a tech or engineer I could speak with. She cut me off, "Just send it in", and that was it.

I know Marlin's in CT, but maybe they need to hire a Southern girl to answer their phone. They wouldn't have to teach her manners.
:!:

.44 Mag

G

·
I believe this happened before to a former Mt member, they wouldnn't work on a 1950's era 336.The service manager is Gerry Gentile at Marlin,at least he was about 6 months ago.If you ask for him and he is available,maybe he could help anyone out with problems,questions,etc.

sprest22

·
Registered
479 Posts
Bman, I haven't had that experience with them, but I suppose it is because anything I ever sent them was current production.
As far as bluing goes, go to www.novumsolutions.com or www.bluewonder.com , I am not sure which is the correct one, but there is a product called Blue Wonder, a hot blue do it yourself process that is easy as all get out and gives extremely good results. I have seen their video and know one of the partners personally and I can tell you that this stuff is nothing short of spectacular if you follow their directions, which are easy to follow.
Your rifle will cost around $20 and about an hour or so to do it yourself.
Good luck with the repair.
Ranger

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Ranger,

Some bluing will leave the lettering faded and unprofessinal looking, how does this stuff treat the details?

SS

1 - 17 of 17 Posts