Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to this forum and looking for some help. Own a model 989 .M2 22 cal LR that was pre-1968 with no visible serial number on it. During a domestic dispute the PD confiscated it and listed the serial as (UNK). When I tried to retrieve it I was told it was stolen in 1979 in New York City and they've sent it back there. I told the PD that I bought the gun new at Big 5 Sporting Goods in 1968 and it's never been out of state. When I pressed as to how this was determined without a serial number I was told that one was found under the butt plate; PD gave me serial number 2939445. When I asked why I wasn't
charged with felony possession the PD said statute of limitations has run out - really???

Can anyone give me some info as to what this serial number might really belong to??? I intend on pursuing this with the local DA's office and also with the FBI and ATF if necessary. Riverside and San Bernardino counties here in CA have a long history of illegally confiscating guns - those with no serial number would probably be even better.

Tnx in advance for your help and any constructive suggestions are much appreciated.

Bob Goodrich

·
Premium Member
2,811 Posts
Sounds like a part number and didn't want you to have a gun.

·
Registered
8,306 Posts
​I have to agree with Hemi,and sorry to say but thats what happens in Kommiefornia.My model 99m1 does not have any serial number either....Welcome from the Republic of Texas...

·
Premium Member
13,210 Posts
I'm sorry to here of the problems your having trying to get your gun back but I would like to say Hello and welcome to Marlinowners from Louisiana!!!!I hope everything works out for you!!!

·
Super Moderator
15,667 Posts
WELCOME FROM OLYMPIA, WA; IN THE GREAT PACIFIC NORTHWEST - THE "ORIGINAL MARLIN®" (North Haven, CT Rifles) COUNTRY! NO REMLINS, OR MARLINGTONS ALLOWED!!!!!

·
Premium Member
9,847 Posts
Welcome from Abilene and Goldthwaite, TX! John

·
Premium Member
8,497 Posts
they just stole your rifle.....one of the locals probably has it at home.....

·
Registered
76 Posts
Sounds like there are many questions that need to be answered but I wouldnt be quick to assume that an officer has stolen the weapon and that it is at a locals house. In North Carolina, there are no statute of limitations on felonies. Cant help ya with Cali law. Good luck and keep us updated.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Welcome to the Marlin Owners Forum and glad to have you onboard! Good luck with your rifle woes, I hope you get them resolved.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
welcome from nova scotia

·
Registered
166 Posts
Welcome from Newfoundland! :) Sounds like the smartest thing to do would be to retain a lawyer as you often hear of such things turning real ugly real fast with no telling where it will all end. Hope everything works out.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
wondering if you have the two leter code on the barrel near the reciever, that will at least tell you the month and date it was manafactured, and i would go on numrich and see if that Serial number coresponds to any part on the rifle. Also tell me you got names from everyone you have delt with, if not start taking names and see a lawyer. good luck.

did a quick search there and couldnt find it, but i would talk to the highest guy you can at the police station, if they found the "serial number" under the butt plate, it has absoutly nothing to do with a serial number, serial numbers are on the rifle/action, not on a stock. some like the 39a's have the serial number on the butt stock but its not always correct for the rifle.

·
Premium Member
6,439 Posts
Hello and welcome to Marlinowners from Pennsylvania!! I hope it works out for you.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts