Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently acquired an older 4 power target scope. It looks exactly like the picture of the Marlin scope shown in Stroebels Old Scope book. It is 15 1/4" in length, painted 3/4" brass tube with the (What looks like) the 4 point marlin click adjustable Target mounts. The only writing/markings on it are the word "Ranger" and below it "Model 4X" both on one of the small metal plates attached to the tube about midway. Stroebel says these scopes were sold by Marlin in the 1930's and refers to them as the Marlin #1 and #2. The number 1 haveing a three point target mount and the number 2 haveing the four point click adjustable mount. He says both the scope and mounts were manufactured by Wallensack for Marlin. He doesn't make any mention of the term "Ranger". I've been looking through some old copies of the American Rifleman for the '30's but have not found anything pertinant yet. Does anyone have any info about what I have here ?? Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Bill B.

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
The Ranger scopes are not a Marlin made scope, nor were they ever sold by Marlin. The Ranger scopes were sold by Sears, and are excellent quality! They all had 4 point mounts like the Marlin #2, but were (in my opinion) a bit better optics than the Marlin scopes I own of the same era.
I have Marlin #1 and #2 scopes, and a Ranger, and I like the Ranger a bit more! You've got a great old scope in the Ranger!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Marlinman, Thank you so much for the info. I agree with you that it's a good scope. I mounted it on a Rem 513 T and promptly shot two 5 shot groups below .25" (At 25 yds). Not bad for a scope even older than me !
Bill B.

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
Bill B said:
Marlinman, Thank you so much for the info. I agree with you that it's a good scope. I mounted it on a Rem 513 T and promptly shot two 5 shot groups below .25" (At 25 yds). Not bad for a scope even older than me !
Bill B.
Another one for the BDT target .. :lol:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info. Don't know what she'll/me will do outdoors at 50 yds. The small one's I mentioned were indoors at 25 yds. Next time I get out to the 50/100 yd range I'll check her out again.
BTW, who made these "Ranger" scopes for Sears ? Was it Wollansak ? I have heard/read somewhere that Mossberg made some scopes for Sears in the later '30's. But the Mossberg scopes I've seen do not have target mounts like these.
Bill B.

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
Bill B said:
Thanks for the info. Don't know what she'll/me will do outdoors at 50 yds. The small one's I mentioned were indoors at 25 yds. Next time I get out to the 50/100 yd range I'll check her out again.
BTW, who made these "Ranger" scopes for Sears ? Was it Wollansak ? I have heard/read somewhere that Mossberg made some scopes for Sears in the later '30's. But the Mossberg scopes I've seen do not have target mounts like these.
Bill B.
I will give you fair warning on the BDT.. I watched a guy touch bullets all morning at 25 yds. and gave him one.. He couldn't come close to maxing it.. .. It will make you a better shooter for sure.. and its fun,, even if you swear, throw things, and act like the hulk tearing up the targets.. LOL

Link for printable target.. the #10 should be size of dime..
http://www.huntingcentral.net/topgun/black_death.jpg

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I printed it out OK. Now to enlarge it a bit untill I get the 10 circle to the size of a dime.
BTW, speaking of the bigest one's and high office, I just read a blurb that said Bill Clinton has reportedly made 7.5 million for speeches in 2005. Go figure.
Bill B.

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
Bill B said:
I printed it out OK. Now to enlarge it a bit untill I get the 10 circle to the size of a dime.
BTW, speaking of the bigest one's and high office, I just read a blurb that said Bill Clinton has reportedly made 7.5 million for speeches in 2005. Go figure.
Bill B.
I don't have a pdf file to download it exact size.. it was posted long ago and I just kept origional and take to copy shop and have done .. :lol:

I don't need to get started on that clan.. :twisted: :lol:

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Bill B said:
Bill B.
Wollensak did grind lenses for a few of the earlier Mossberg scopes. I don't know who made the Ranger series scopes. The japanned brass tubes sound like something Winchester did with their "A" series scopes....

Good luck with the BDT- it's problematic enough for some of us to max it at 25 yds, never mind 50!

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

1 - 11 of 11 Posts