Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Help,
I was the victim of a $868 scam on a 308MXLR.

It was through Armslist.com. The mail address for money was in Hamilton, OH. A person calling himself David S.,

The Marlin serial number is: 92212399, or a least the box had that number. All that was posted was a picture of the end of the box.

If anybody knows anything, I could use some help.

Darwin

·
Super Moderator
17,805 Posts
Sorry to hear you got scammed... That being said, it isn't allowed on this website to post e-mail addresses or personnel info in the open forum so I'm going to delete it...

People can PM you for the information if they know anything that may help you...

·
Administrator
30,769 Posts
Darwin, welcome to Marlin Owners only I wish it was under better circumstances.

I've done a lot of online purchases of firearms and all have been excellent. Then again, I NEVER do business on Armslist as they are well known for scammers.

Contact your local Attn General as they get involved with internet scams. If you would, please keep us abreast how things go.

Jack

·
Registered
21,220 Posts
If you catch them let us know...I've got a nice long piece of rope!

·
Premium Member
2,126 Posts
These armslist scammers simply steal photo's off gunbroker and post them as their own, its been going on for years. I have never heard of anyone getting their gun or money back, they are professional con artist and very good at covering their tracks.

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
A guy tried to rope me in on what looked like a great deal, but refused to meet face to face. He said he was in Charlotte, NC. He wanted me to send him money through Walmart. Nope! Face to face or not at all. One of our members from the Midwest sent him a USPS money order before he contacted me on the forum. He was stuck with 0. I'd like to find that dude & string him up by his toes. He told me he was a gun collector & was from the United Emirates. :eek:

Forgot to mention that the images he used were of completed sales on GunBroker!

·
Registered
19,756 Posts
I had some spare Ruger parts to sell last year,so placed an ad on Armslist in the 'Parts For Sale' section. A few days later I got a PM from Chicago in really broken English. Achmed wanted to know how many pistols he could buy from me and how soon. I thanked him for his reply and directed him to re-read my ad. The only thing for sale were parts. I let the Armslist ad expire and listed the parts locally,a much better option.
Some people report success with that site,but there's a lot of bad stories.

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
Sorry to hear about this.
That's an expensive lesson. Hopefully the authorities will be able to help you.

As others have stated, there are scammers on Armslist. That's why I only deal with face to face cash transactions on Armslist. (same for craigslist.)

·
Registered
115 Posts
I've actually done a few good deals off of Armslist, but today there seems to be more scammers than anything. A trick I've used for a while is to ask for a photo of the gun that also has a piece of paper on it with your first name written on it. Weeds out the scams pretty quickly.

·
Banned
2,803 Posts
I very seldom buy guns new or used on the Internet or sight unseen and on the very rare occasions that I do it is from well established vendors with money back if defective guarantees.
This is because of misrepresentations as to the condition of the gun or if indeed there is a gun such as the one described in this thread.
When I buy guns I want to see the seller as well as the gun "in the flesh" before a dime changes hands.
I usually deal at a LGS and only those that allow pre-purchase inspections.

·
Banned
2,803 Posts
I've actually done a few good deals off of Armslist, but today there seems to be more scammers than anything. A trick I've used for a while is to ask for a photo of the gun that also has a piece of paper on it with your first name written on it. Weeds out the scams pretty quickly.
Take about 5 minutes to 'photoshop' a paper with a name written on it into a picture of a gun from a catalog.

Face to face is the only way you won't get burned on a lemon or a gun that doesn't even exist.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Sorry to learn of your misfortune and sincerely hope you can recover your loss Friend. I've only ever purchased one gun from an Armslist listing, and was rewarded with the opportunity to own the nicest example of a Syracuse Arms Co Grade 00 gun I've ever seen; and best of all I managed to get the gun, along with its original leg 'o mutton case for a very reasonable price.
That said, I'd also heard horror stories of bad experience's with Auction Arms purchases; and to insure this gun was legit and photos not been robbed from another auction listing, I asked for (and received) photos of the gun broken down along with close up shots of various details regarding the gun. It's impossible for a scammer robbing another's photos to deliver these additional detailed pictures. I would strongly encourage anyone considering an on-line purchase from any auction site to observe the same precaution; and if that request is refused, don't ever consider sending that guy your money. Another precaution is to require the seller to ship the gun thru a (his) local FFL. In this scenario, you send the money to the seller's licensed FFL with instructions that the dealer examine the gun prior to boxing and shipping to confirm that the seller and gun are actually legitimate. May cost a few extra bucks to do this, but this is certainly a much less costly method than losing one's hard-earned $800-900 as was the case in this unfortunate situation.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.