Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some years ago I purchased a new Marlin Model 60SB, shot a few hundred rounds and put it away. Accuracy was ok I guess but not the tack driver I was envisioning. Range was about 50 yards
with a sand bag. Groups if I recall correctly were an inch or two, I know it wasn't outstanding or I'd remember. Anyway, for whatever reason I got the itch for a bolt action .22. Lots of other guns but nary a bolt in any of them. A little over a year ago Dick's had a sale on a wood ( a plus for me ) Savage Mark II for a great price minus the rebate it came to around $ 110 out the door. Even came with a straight 4 power Tasco scope which actually wasn't bad, even tried it for a couple hundred rounds. Worked pretty good. It now wears a 2x7 Nikon. The Martin also has a 2x7 scope so in that respect they are pretty much even.

Anyway, bottom line is the Savage shoots dimes at 25 yards and nickel groups at 50 yards and that's with the stock trigger and bulk ammo. I have to think a better trigger would yield better groups. The Marlin simply can't match it. Yes, I know semi's generally won't shoot as well as a bolt action. And to be perfectly honest the trigger is worse in the Marlin than the Savage. I've read that the Marlin 60 is capable of shooting much better than what I'm doing with it. Guns vary.. what do your 60's do at 50 yards ? Or can I blame it all on the trigger pull ? :biggrin: :)

·
Banned
439 Posts
The ammo plays a big roll. Mcarbo makes a nice trigger kit for them. I recommend it. One owned many of them. All shot great groups for me with the right ammo. They like high power ammo and to be dry. I use grease instead of oil and they really like it. Here's a pic of me sighting in my new scope red dot and lasers. I was putting them in a quarter at 100 yards when i was done. At 30 with the laser they were all touching.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Also barrel temp matters. The first round will shoot different. With bolt actions you shoot slower for more stable Temps

I'm not a fast shooter with any weapon unless I'm on a course specifically designed for it. I just got back from the range with the Savage and again nickel 5 shot group was the best of the lot. Again with bulk ammo. I think that's about the best I can do with the present trigger. I have to measure it but its a bear. Next time out I'll take both out just for comparative purposes, apples to apples, etc etc..

I forgot to ask if anyone had a Marlin XT-22 MTSL and how they like or dislike it. I'm partial to wood or even a laminate but not a fan of the polymer stocks.. just to old I guess.. :)

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Bulk ammo is your problem. Get a box of CCI standard velocity and another of Federal standard velocity.

Bulk ammo has literally no quality control.

Once you find the ammo that gun loves, nothing will be its equal :)

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bulk ammo is your problem. Get a box of CCI standard velocity and another of Federal standard velocity.

Bulk ammo has literally no quality control.

Once you find the ammo that gun loves, nothing will be its equal :)

I agree ammo can make a difference... I also think the trigger pull is not conducive to finding out what its capable of.... There's a reason why guys spend big bucks on triggers. Besides, it's much easier to blame the trigger than me.
:flag:

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
I agree ammo can make a difference... I also think the trigger pull is not conducive to finding out what its capable of.... There's a reason why guys spend big bucks on triggers. Besides, it's much easier to blame the trigger than me.
:flag:
If I recall from taking mine apart once, the trigger springs are harder to get to than on the bolt action. On the bolt guns, we swap the trigger return spring with a ball point pen spring so the trigger pull is lighter. Works great! On the 60, I think the spring is tiny and densely made/hard to get to.

I can't really remember.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If I recall from taking mine apart once, the trigger springs are harder to get to than on the bolt action. On the bolt guns, we swap the trigger return spring with a ball point pen spring so the trigger pull is lighter. Works great! On the 60, I think the spring is tiny and densely made/hard to get to.

I can't really remember.

Most guys report its a nightmare to strip completely while others say ( probably gunsmiths ) say its not that bad. The Savage will be much easier to modify if the utube videos are correct. I remember changing the trigger spring on my 30/06 Remington 760 about 10 years ago. Easy peasy, even for me. Literally less than 10 minutes. Way less.. I would gladly farm out the Marlin trigger work but gunsmiths in my neck of the woods here in Pa. don't want to touch any weapon for fear of lawsuits. Personally I think that's an overused excuse but then again I'm not in their shoes. I can say I've never seen a lawsuit in out paper... ever. Sooo...

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I fiddled around with my Mod. 795 (same trigger as Mod. 60) and got it down to 3 lbs. I cut one ring off the hammer spring and polished things up inside. Trigger return spring? We don't need no steeking trigger return springs.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I fiddled around with my Mod. 795 (same trigger as Mod. 60) and got it down to 3 lbs. I cut one ring off the hammer spring and polished things up inside. Trigger return spring? We don't need no steeking trigger return springs.

3 lbs sounds much better than the stock pull of ?? I guess the better question is, did you notice an increase in accuracy ?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.