Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello folks,

I had a family member give me his model 1893 cambered in 30-30 (produced in 1900) with the square bolt to help get it into a safe shooting condition. I do not have as much knowledge on older guns as I do the newer models and there is a few things I have noticed, but can't seem to find any answers online.

Firstly, the gun is missing what seems to be a receiver screw on the left side right above the butt of the lever screw. I added a photo of what screw I am talking about
MarlinModel1893_LI.jpg

Secondly, the gun has two holes that seem to hold wood screws on the stock that are missing.
MarlinModel1893StockScrew_LI.jpg

And lastly, I was told that it was tested to see if it would shoot a little while back. They said the gun will load, feed, and eject with no issues at all. The only issue that the gun is having is that it wouldn't fire, the hammer pulls back and strikes like normal but there isn't even a dent on the primer of the round. I did check the rear firing pin and it is in there and moves freely like it should. Could this mean that the gun is missing a front firing pin? I am at work now and can't take it apart to check for the front firing pin.

It is also missing a front sight but that is not as important as what I mentioned above. If anyone could help me find these screws and diagnose the firing problem that would be awesome.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
I believe the screw on the side of the receiver is the Trigger Plate Support Screw. The two holes on the tang are for a folding tang sight. The screws are just fillers. As for the firing pin, it may be that the tip of the front firing pin is broken.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the helpful information!

I was able to run home on my lunch break to pull the breech bolt out and inspect the front firing pin. You are correct on the tip of the pin breaking off, it is just barely short of clearing the firing pin hole. I used a small screwdriver to recreate the movement of the front firing pin and it moves forward but doesn't want to pull back.

Is this because of potential carbon buildup causing the firing pin to get stuck and not move easily? Or is there a spring or clip that keeps it retained?

If anyone can point me in a good direction to order a new trigger plate support screw and firing pin that would be appreciated!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Should I buy a used trigger guard plate support screw that says model 1893? Or can I get away with an 1895 or 336 model screw? I am not sure if they're the same size or not.

Also, does it matter if I get the old style front firing pin and spring or the new style? Both are available on gunspartcorp.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Should I buy a used trigger guard plate support screw that says model 1893? Or can I get away with an 1895 or 336 model screw? I am not sure if they're the same size or not.
I can't say with 100% certainty but I've been able to use modern Marlin screws in old Marlins.

Depending on when the rifle was made, it could have a large firing pin (black powder era) or small diameter pin for smokeless. The difference is obvious. I'm speaking of the point that strikes the primer. The body and other details are the same.

·
Premium Member
14,154 Posts
The support screw is the same as the 336.
And if the barrel of the gun says Special smokeless steel. You can use the late model firing pin. And even a 336 firing pin.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,881 Posts
A 30 30 made in 1900 should be smokeless. Schoolee is correct.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
All 30/30's were smokeless steel,they were not all marked "special Smokeless Steel" my saddle ring carbine is not,Starting in 1905 Grade "B" rifles were marked "black powder only" and only in 38-55 and 32/40 they were made with a blued receiver,

1 - 9 of 9 Posts