Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a source for these original buttplate,or good reproduction but I made as good a repro as any but it’s a little off in fitting so an original would have to be perfect for an 1893 SRC anybody know of a source?

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Gun parts corp had repos a while back, check with them. One question, do you need the S plate or a SRC plate? They are different, after WW1, early 20s the rifles and carbines used the S and hard rubber plates

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
If you made one that is even close,I am impressed. It was not as beautiful as the original crescent or the second version crescent in my opinion, but it has a lot of complex bends and curves, that would be very difficult.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I only assumed on the name ,but it is the one where the top is formed by folding it over ,an upside down and curvy L shape,mine is close ,and as you can see I could fit it closer by taking out wood and doing some more fitting,however than an original if found may not fit without more refitting.I would rather wait maybe find an original and see if the originals are close enough to one another to slide nearly right into place,Here,I need to remov nearly an eighth of an inch off a nicely curved point of wood wood to make it perfect .It’s not an impossible task as I bedded a crescent plate onto a flintlock I built last winter and ,successfully,but with a lot of careful rasping and lampblacking.I would like to at least try an original first,if even possible to find one. I was able to form this close by careful forging without disturbing the stock contours.
Brown Sleeve Tints and shades Comfort Linens
Brown Outerwear Sleeve Comfort Wood
Brown Sleeve Grey Collar Beige

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks I have found them,and Winchesters buttplates like my style but Marlin ones seem real hard to find.I would feel odd with a Winchester on there,even if it fit the rifle probably would not forgive me!

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Don't know that I have ever seen that style Marlin one, I bet they would be hard to find, the beautiful original crescent steel ones are hard to find and are priced around 250$, I don't know how many sell for that, but wow!

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
I only assumed on the name ,but it is the one where the top is formed by folding it over ,an upside down and curvy L shape,mine is close ,and as you can see I could fit it closer by taking out wood and doing some more fitting,however than an original if found may not fit without more refitting.I would rather wait maybe find an original and see if the originals are close enough to one another to slide nearly right into place,Here,I need to remov nearly an eighth of an inch off a nicely curved point of wood wood to make it perfect .It’s not an impossible task as I bedded a crescent plate onto a flintlock I built last winter and ,successfully,but with a lot of careful rasping and lampblacking.I would like to at least try an original first,if even possible to find one. I was able to form this close by careful forging without disturbing the stock contours. View attachment 863521 View attachment 863522 View attachment 863523
The one you pictured is the SRC carbine but, that was phased out in early 20s

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah,as I well know ,you would think there would be a few around though.I have literally looked for a few years.If you have one ,don’t ever put it in a bowl of rust remover!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts