Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I won an auction that had some major parts in it and I was able piece together what I discovered was a
pre-1968 Western Auto Revelation 120 (basically a Glenfield 60 with a few minor diff)
What threw me off was the was NO serial...I found out that dates it pre-1968.

I got most of it figured out except I am stumped on these screws on the side of the receiver.

If I take them out it leaves a tunnel all the way through. Was there a style of peep sight you could mount?

The stock is def birch and someone sanded and stained it previously so it is really splotchy.
Gonna sand that down and try the dark cherry stain idea.

I already sanded the barrel and tube down and reblued them.
The tube looks great but the barrel needs a few more coats. Kinda cloudy still.

After that the receiver will get sanded and re-painted. Good summer project just in time for the midsummer woodchucks!

Anyone know what those two screws were for? I know THIS is the place for answers :D

·
Registered
540 Posts
Good luck on your project! I unfortunately have no idea on the screws, maybe the previous owner used it for something? I know I don't have 25 posts yet, however I'm going to be getting a Boyd's stock and will have my mint condition factory one taking up room if you can't get yours fixed up...

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
mr fixit said:
Interesting, I wonder if he had a Williams peep sight or something similar mounted there. Mr fixit
+1 one on the Williams peep sight, I have no doubt that's why they are there. Be nice to have that because they are getting pricey, at least the Fool Proofs are.

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's odd though, I Googled pictures of the model 120 and they had the screws too....

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imaguy3 said:
however I'm going to be getting a Boyd's stock ...
Imaguy3,

Are you putting a model 60 into it? Have you seen the SS Evolution stocks?. I just finished this little project.
I found a Glenfield 75C ( model 60 with a shorter barrel) and a Jacaranda stock.

I have a thread on the drilling to get it to fit.
http://www.marlinowners.com/forums/index.php/topic,90629.0.html

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
GJinNY said:
It's odd though, I Googled pictures of the model 120 and they had the screws too....
Gun makers drill certain rifles for specific sights, just go to somewhere like MidwayUSA and see if Williams had a peep sight made for your rifle.

·
Registered
540 Posts
GJinNY said:
Imaguy3,

Are you putting a model 60 into it? Have you seen the SS Evolution stocks?. I just finished this little project.
I found a Glenfield 75C ( model 60 with a shorter barrel) and a Jacaranda stock.

I have a thread on the drilling to get it to fit.
http://www.marlinowners.com/forums/index.php/topic,90629.0.html
Not to hijack.
I am, I was going with Nutmeg though since they don't offer the "desert camo" anymore...

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was practice chambering and ejecting a single round from the tube and the darn thing would jam every time. Just as the lifter bar brought it to the top of the feed-throat and the bolt starts to come forward, the nose of the round kicks up and to the right and jams up the works.

I was reading other threads about feed-throats gone bad. Are they worn or dented, maybe the lifter bar is bent or worn?

·
Registered
540 Posts
GJinNY said:
I was practice chambering and ejecting a single round from the tube and the darn thing would jam every time. Just as the lifter bar brought it to the top of the feed-throat and the bolt starts to come forward, the nose of the round kicks up and to the right and jams up the works.

I was reading other threads about feed-throats gone bad. Are they worn or dented, maybe the lifter bar is bent or worn?
Being that old I would think the lifter spring isn't quite up to par... or maybe if the action was dissassembled it didn't get put back in the right space?

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It seemed like the left extractor would not catch the left side of the brass rim and would throw the nose of the bullet to the right. So I removed the left extractor and stretched the spring a bit and saw the very tip of the extractor was not a sharp point but it was not that worn either. The right side did have a sharper angled point. I checked for a picture for a brand new left extractor and found this.

I took a chance and got the dremmel tool out and a cutting disk tip and LIGHTLY put a bit of a sharper angle to the point. I actually PHOTOSHOPPED this picture so I did not cut it this sharp but you get the idea.

The good news is that it feeds and ejects great now. Have to try it shooting next.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just traded my old bow for the revelation model 120 and mine also has the screws there . it was made that way for some reason. i looked around and it doesnt have a serial number so i was wondering if anyone could explain this ? i was guessing it had to do with the age, they were made in 1972 so .. yup

1 - 12 of 12 Posts